Looking at buying clipless shoes

graf zeppelin said:
Odd. Its worth destroying a shoe/cleat in a road race of that calibur (Iron Man in this case). Maybe he thought he could simply go faster barefoot?
I would agree that saving the shoes would have been the LAST thing I probably would have worried about at that point ... and, I would think that, even if it was October, the temperature of the pavement had to be over 100º F ... maybe, not.

I would have thought that he didn't want to "skate" on the pavement that he could have shuffled/jogged on the "soft" (crushed lava rock?) ground beyond the shoulders faster than he was walking barefooted while his shoes remained clipped in the pedals ...

While it is possible that he thought he could walk faster barefoot, I would think that after the first 10 yards that he would have realized that he could probably proceed faster with the shoes on -- well, I suppose it's just my opinion that he was trying to save his shoes for some reason (okay, they looked like SIDIs, but so what?!?) ... penny wise & pound foolish considering how much he had already spent on the air fare, hotel/motel room, entry fee, etc.

Well, easy to say what I would have done as I watched from the comfort of a "lazyboy" while this guy was trying to calculate this-or-that in his head ...

But, just imagine trying to run a marathon AFTER abusing your feet on the hot pavement ...

For the record, he didn't finish inside the time limit ... I seem to recall that he missed it by about 20 minutes.