Looking for 10sp Campy 39t middle chainring!

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by John Crankshaw, Jan 2, 2005.

  1. I'd like to get a 39 tooth middle chainring for my triple crank, Campy 5-135
    bolt pattern. Must be pinned, of course.

    Found only one source: Peter White Cycles.

    Any other sources out there?

    John

    Tags:

  2. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 13:38:45 GMT, "John Crankshaw"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I'd like to get a 39 tooth middle chainring for my triple crank, Campy 5-135
    >bolt pattern. Must be pinned, of course.

    Don't assume that the middle ring must be pinned. When the 42 went on
    my Racing-T, I replaced it with a standard, 42t ring that was the 2nd
    ring af a double. It shifted fine. When I put the ring on, I had
    forgotten that I needed a ring with shift assists. Turns out I was
    wrong.

    For reference purposes, the rings were 52/42/28.

    When you do put a 39 onto that setup, there's a likely chance that the
    front derailleur will hang/scrape on the 39t cog. You can get a DA
    triple front derailleur or change to a 53t big ring and have the front
    derailleur about 4 mm above the ring.

  3. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Paul Kopit wrote:
    > On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 13:38:45 GMT, "John Crankshaw"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> I'd like to get a 39 tooth middle chainring for my triple crank,
    >> Campy 5-135 bolt pattern. Must be pinned, of course.

    > Don't assume that the middle ring must be pinned. When the 42 went on
    > my Racing-T, I replaced it with a standard, 42t ring that was the 2nd
    > ring af a double. It shifted fine. When I put the ring on, I had
    > forgotten that I needed a ring with shift assists. Turns out I was
    > wrong.

    I've used 39 and 40T unpinned TA rings with my Campag 9-speed chainset and
    Ergos. I wouldn't call shifting "fine" but it's tolerable. The middle
    requires a bit more overshifting than a pinned 42T ring to get up on it.

    ~PB

  4. John Crankshaw wrote:

    > I'd like to get a 39 tooth middle chainring for my triple crank, Campy 5-135
    > bolt pattern. Must be pinned, of course.
    >
    > Found only one source: Peter White Cycles.
    >
    > Any other sources out there?

    How many sources do you need? Peter's a highly reputable dealer.

    Sheldon "Friendly Competitor" Brown
    | Friends don't send friends vcf files. |
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

  5. bfd

    bfd Guest

    > John Crankshaw wrote:
    >
    >> I'd like to get a 39 tooth middle chainring for my triple crank, Campy
    >> 5-135
    >> bolt pattern. Must be pinned, of course.
    >>
    >> Found only one source: Peter White Cycles.
    >>
    >> Any other sources out there?

    > How many sources do you need? Peter's a highly reputable dealer.

    Well, if he thinks Peter is not *enough*, I recommend the following sources:

    Sheldon Brown
    http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/chainrings.html#135

    Andy Muzi
    http://www.yellowjersey.org/esoteric.html

    and don't forget "Campy Expert" Peter Chisholm
    http://www.vecchios.com/

    Of course, any LBS can order 135mm bcd chainrings too....

  6. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    bfd, trying to be helpful, wrote:
    > Well, if he thinks Peter is not *enough*, I recommend the following sources:
    > Sheldon Brown
    > http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/chainrings.html#135
    > Andy Muzi
    > http://www.yellowjersey.org/esoteric.html
    > and don't forget "Campy Expert" Peter Chisholm
    > http://www.vecchios.com/
    > Of course, any LBS can order 135mm bcd chainrings too....

    Peter most likely has your first choice ring.
    I don't.

    Today in 135mm x 39t:
    Black Spire titanium color 'hard coat' $39.95
    Record '90s type no ramps $69.95
    several Stronglight silver $39.95
    several Vuelta silver $29.95
    (Vuelta are not top quality rings)
    none of those are ramped.
    I have one lipped ( It isn't really a 'shift gate') TA Pro
    in bright blue anodized $44.95. Cute plastic display
    package. Yes I have the matching outers, red or blue.

    If you can substitute a 40tt I have current Record Ten at
    $79.95 with pins and ramps or Veloce at $34.95. But you
    probably have that already, right?

    As happens so often today, there's a few hundred dollars
    worth of merchandise and _still not_ what this customer
    requested. . .
    http://www.yellowjersey.org/c_rings.html

    Really, if you want that 135x39 ramped, email Peter White.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org

  7. Yep, we have them or can get them 39t and TA...'may' see some shifting issues
    tho, getting the chain off the 39t to the small ring. A shimano triple front
    der sometimes helps...DA type.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  8. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
    > Yep, we have them or can get them 39t and TA...'may' see some
    > shifting issues tho, getting the chain off the 39t to the small ring.
    > A shimano triple front der sometimes helps...DA type.

    I have no difficulty in shifting down to the granny from my 39T unpinned
    TA ring with a Daytona triple derailleur, but an extra click of the Ergo
    is required to shift up to it, then a correction afterwards. (I found
    some overshifting was required with standard Campag stuff but one more
    click with a TA ring).

    This is just a minor annoyance rather than a big problem.

    ~PB

  9. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Sheldon Brown wrote:
    > John Crankshaw wrote:
    >
    >> I'd like to get a 39 tooth middle chainring for my triple crank,
    >> Campy 5-135 bolt pattern. Must be pinned, of course.
    >>
    >> Found only one source: Peter White Cycles.
    >>
    >> Any other sources out there?

    > How many sources do you need? Peter's a highly reputable dealer.

    But does he have them in stock right now?

    > Sheldon "Friendly Competitor" Brown

    That's nice.

    ~PB

  10. Neil Brooks

    Neil Brooks Guest

    Pete Biggs wrote:

    > But does he have them in stock right now?

    I'm not going to confront the obvious "paralytic fear of e-mailing Peter
    White directly" issue here. Rather, here's a link to Peter's webcam,
    trained on his shop. A discerning eye might be able to find said ring
    within his inventory. Wait for it . . . wait for it . . . ahhh, there it
    is.

    http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/webcam.htm

    Happy hunting,

    Neil