Looking for 10sp Campy 39t middle chainring!

John Crankshaw

Guest
I'd like to get a 39 tooth middle chainring for my triple crank, Campy 5-135
bolt pattern. Must be pinned, of course.

Found only one source: Peter White Cycles.

Any other sources out there?

John

Paul Kopit

Guest
On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 13:38:45 GMT, "John Crankshaw"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I'd like to get a 39 tooth middle chainring for my triple crank, Campy 5-135
>bolt pattern. Must be pinned, of course.

Don't assume that the middle ring must be pinned. When the 42 went on
my Racing-T, I replaced it with a standard, 42t ring that was the 2nd
ring af a double. It shifted fine. When I put the ring on, I had
forgotten that I needed a ring with shift assists. Turns out I was
wrong.

For reference purposes, the rings were 52/42/28.

When you do put a 39 onto that setup, there's a likely chance that the
front derailleur will hang/scrape on the 39t cog. You can get a DA
triple front derailleur or change to a 53t big ring and have the front
derailleur about 4 mm above the ring.

Pete Biggs

Guest
Paul Kopit wrote:
> On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 13:38:45 GMT, "John Crankshaw"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> I'd like to get a 39 tooth middle chainring for my triple crank,
>> Campy 5-135 bolt pattern. Must be pinned, of course.

> Don't assume that the middle ring must be pinned. When the 42 went on
> my Racing-T, I replaced it with a standard, 42t ring that was the 2nd
> ring af a double. It shifted fine. When I put the ring on, I had
> forgotten that I needed a ring with shift assists. Turns out I was
> wrong.

I've used 39 and 40T unpinned TA rings with my Campag 9-speed chainset and
Ergos. I wouldn't call shifting "fine" but it's tolerable. The middle
requires a bit more overshifting than a pinned 42T ring to get up on it.

~PB

Sheldon Brown

Guest
John Crankshaw wrote:

> I'd like to get a 39 tooth middle chainring for my triple crank, Campy 5-135
> bolt pattern. Must be pinned, of course.
>
> Found only one source: Peter White Cycles.
>
> Any other sources out there?

How many sources do you need? Peter's a highly reputable dealer.

Sheldon "Friendly Competitor" Brown
| Friends don't send friends vcf files. |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

bfd

Guest
> John Crankshaw wrote:
>
>> I'd like to get a 39 tooth middle chainring for my triple crank, Campy
>> 5-135
>> bolt pattern. Must be pinned, of course.
>>
>> Found only one source: Peter White Cycles.
>>
>> Any other sources out there?

> How many sources do you need? Peter's a highly reputable dealer.

Well, if he thinks Peter is not *enough*, I recommend the following sources:

Sheldon Brown
http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/chainrings.html#135

Andy Muzi
http://www.yellowjersey.org/esoteric.html

and don't forget "Campy Expert" Peter Chisholm
http://www.vecchios.com/

Of course, any LBS can order 135mm bcd chainrings too....

A Muzi

Guest

bfd, trying to be helpful, wrote:
> Well, if he thinks Peter is not *enough*, I recommend the following sources:
> Sheldon Brown
> http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/chainrings.html#135
> Andy Muzi
> http://www.yellowjersey.org/esoteric.html
> and don't forget "Campy Expert" Peter Chisholm
> http://www.vecchios.com/
> Of course, any LBS can order 135mm bcd chainrings too....

Peter most likely has your first choice ring.
I don't.

Today in 135mm x 39t:
Black Spire titanium color 'hard coat' $39.95
Record '90s type no ramps $69.95
several Stronglight silver $39.95
several Vuelta silver $29.95
(Vuelta are not top quality rings)
none of those are ramped.
I have one lipped ( It isn't really a 'shift gate') TA Pro
in bright blue anodized $44.95. Cute plastic display
package. Yes I have the matching outers, red or blue.

If you can substitute a 40tt I have current Record Ten at
$79.95 with pins and ramps or Veloce at $34.95. But you
probably have that already, right?

As happens so often today, there's a few hundred dollars
worth of merchandise and _still not_ what this customer
requested. . .
http://www.yellowjersey.org/c_rings.html

Really, if you want that 135x39 ramped, email Peter White.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Qui si parla Campagnolo

Guest
Yep, we have them or can get them 39t and TA...'may' see some shifting issues
tho, getting the chain off the 39t to the small ring. A shimano triple front
der sometimes helps...DA type.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Pete Biggs

Guest
Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> Yep, we have them or can get them 39t and TA...'may' see some
> shifting issues tho, getting the chain off the 39t to the small ring.
> A shimano triple front der sometimes helps...DA type.

I have no difficulty in shifting down to the granny from my 39T unpinned
TA ring with a Daytona triple derailleur, but an extra click of the Ergo
is required to shift up to it, then a correction afterwards. (I found
some overshifting was required with standard Campag stuff but one more
click with a TA ring).

This is just a minor annoyance rather than a big problem.

~PB

Pete Biggs

Guest
Sheldon Brown wrote:
> John Crankshaw wrote:
>
>> I'd like to get a 39 tooth middle chainring for my triple crank,
>> Campy 5-135 bolt pattern. Must be pinned, of course.
>>
>> Found only one source: Peter White Cycles.
>>
>> Any other sources out there?

> How many sources do you need? Peter's a highly reputable dealer.

But does he have them in stock right now?

> Sheldon "Friendly Competitor" Brown

That's nice.

~PB

Neil Brooks

Guest

Pete Biggs wrote:

> But does he have them in stock right now?

I'm not going to confront the obvious "paralytic fear of e-mailing Peter
White directly" issue here. Rather, here's a link to Peter's webcam,
trained on his shop. A discerning eye might be able to find said ring
within his inventory. Wait for it . . . wait for it . . . ahhh, there it
is.

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/webcam.htm

Happy hunting,

Neil