Looking for 10sp Campy 39t middle chainring!

John Crankshaw

Guest
I'd like to get a 39 tooth middle chainring for my triple crank, Campy 5-135
bolt pattern. Must be pinned, of course.

Found only one source: Peter White Cycles.

Any other sources out there?

John

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 13:38:45 GMT, "John Crankshaw"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I'd like to get a 39 tooth middle chainring for my triple crank, Campy 5-135
>bolt pattern. Must be pinned, of course.

Don't assume that the middle ring must be pinned. When the 42 went on
my Racing-T, I replaced it with a standard, 42t ring that was the 2nd
ring af a double. It shifted fine. When I put the ring on, I had
forgotten that I needed a ring with shift assists. Turns out I was
wrong.

For reference purposes, the rings were 52/42/28.

When you do put a 39 onto that setup, there's a likely chance that the
front derailleur will hang/scrape on the 39t cog. You can get a DA
triple front derailleur or change to a 53t big ring and have the front
derailleur about 4 mm above the ring.

Paul Kopit wrote:
> On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 13:38:45 GMT, "John Crankshaw"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> I'd like to get a 39 tooth middle chainring for my triple crank,
>> Campy 5-135 bolt pattern. Must be pinned, of course.

> Don't assume that the middle ring must be pinned. When the 42 went on
> my Racing-T, I replaced it with a standard, 42t ring that was the 2nd
> ring af a double. It shifted fine. When I put the ring on, I had
> forgotten that I needed a ring with shift assists. Turns out I was
> wrong.

I've used 39 and 40T unpinned TA rings with my Campag 9-speed chainset and
Ergos. I wouldn't call shifting "fine" but it's tolerable. The middle
requires a bit more overshifting than a pinned 42T ring to get up on it.

~PB

John Crankshaw wrote:

> I'd like to get a 39 tooth middle chainring for my triple crank, Campy 5-135
> bolt pattern. Must be pinned, of course.
>
> Found only one source: Peter White Cycles.
>
> Any other sources out there?

How many sources do you need? Peter's a highly reputable dealer.

Sheldon "Friendly Competitor" Brown
| Friends don't send friends vcf files. |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

> John Crankshaw wrote:
>
>> I'd like to get a 39 tooth middle chainring for my triple crank, Campy
>> 5-135
>> bolt pattern. Must be pinned, of course.
>>
>> Found only one source: Peter White Cycles.
>>
>> Any other sources out there?

> How many sources do you need? Peter's a highly reputable dealer.

Well, if he thinks Peter is not *enough*, I recommend the following sources:

Sheldon Brown
http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/chainrings.html#135

Andy Muzi
http://www.yellowjersey.org/esoteric.html

and don't forget "Campy Expert" Peter Chisholm
http://www.vecchios.com/

Of course, any LBS can order 135mm bcd chainrings too....

bfd, trying to be helpful, wrote:
> Well, if he thinks Peter is not *enough*, I recommend the following sources:
> Sheldon Brown
> http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/chainrings.html#135
> Andy Muzi
> http://www.yellowjersey.org/esoteric.html
> and don't forget "Campy Expert" Peter Chisholm
> http://www.vecchios.com/
> Of course, any LBS can order 135mm bcd chainrings too....

Peter most likely has your first choice ring.
I don't.

Today in 135mm x 39t:
Black Spire titanium color 'hard coat' $39.95
Record '90s type no ramps $69.95
several Stronglight silver $39.95
several Vuelta silver $29.95
(Vuelta are not top quality rings)
none of those are ramped.
I have one lipped ( It isn't really a 'shift gate') TA Pro
in bright blue anodized $44.95. Cute plastic display
package. Yes I have the matching outers, red or blue.

If you can substitute a 40tt I have current Record Ten at
$79.95 with pins and ramps or Veloce at $34.95. But you
probably have that already, right?

As happens so often today, there's a few hundred dollars
worth of merchandise and _still not_ what this customer
requested. . .
http://www.yellowjersey.org/c_rings.html

Really, if you want that 135x39 ramped, email Peter White.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Yep, we have them or can get them 39t and TA...'may' see some shifting issues
tho, getting the chain off the 39t to the small ring. A shimano triple front
der sometimes helps...DA type.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> Yep, we have them or can get them 39t and TA...'may' see some
> shifting issues tho, getting the chain off the 39t to the small ring.
> A shimano triple front der sometimes helps...DA type.

I have no difficulty in shifting down to the granny from my 39T unpinned
TA ring with a Daytona triple derailleur, but an extra click of the Ergo
is required to shift up to it, then a correction afterwards. (I found
some overshifting was required with standard Campag stuff but one more
click with a TA ring).

This is just a minor annoyance rather than a big problem.

~PB

Sheldon Brown wrote:
> John Crankshaw wrote:
>
>> I'd like to get a 39 tooth middle chainring for my triple crank,
>> Campy 5-135 bolt pattern. Must be pinned, of course.
>>
>> Found only one source: Peter White Cycles.
>>
>> Any other sources out there?

> How many sources do you need? Peter's a highly reputable dealer.

But does he have them in stock right now?

> Sheldon "Friendly Competitor" Brown

That's nice.

~PB

Pete Biggs wrote:

> But does he have them in stock right now?

I'm not going to confront the obvious "paralytic fear of e-mailing Peter
White directly" issue here. Rather, here's a link to Peter's webcam,
trained on his shop. A discerning eye might be able to find said ring
within his inventory. Wait for it . . . wait for it . . . ahhh, there it
is.

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/webcam.htm

Happy hunting,

Neil