Looking for 1st Road Bike...Any help would be great

Jedi1976

Aug 14, 2010
Hello everyone. I'm looking to buy my first road bike, of which I plan to use mostly for fitness training and triathlon training (no more than one or two tri's per year). I am 33 yrs old, 6'1", usually between 190 and 195 lbs. I'm looking for recommendations based not only on size (not sure whether being close to 200 lbs will make a big difference in bike selection), but also trying to stay within a price range around $1000.00. I would greatly appreciate any opinions as I am sure that many readers have quite an expanse of knowledge that would be helpful in my selection. Thanx to all those for reading.

The best thing to do is find a bike shop and get fitted. This will tell wat size you need, I would guess a 58-60cm.
Your weight isn't a huge deal. You will just need to stay away form the super light wheels and saddles, no big deal.
The Specialized Transition comes to mind, if you want a TT bike. You could also look at an Allez if you want a road and add clip ons.I like the Specialized brand, it has not let me down in almost 25 years. I am know there are other brands, Jamis, Felt,Scott, ect will all bikes that will fit your needs.
I would suggest that you best bang for your buck. This could be getting a modle that is a few years old insted on getting the lastest greatest. My local shop has an 06 Transition with DA that has never left the shop and is on sale for half price. Also look to at the driveline, if possiable get 105 or better.