looking for 2-3 day penn dutch loop

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides' started by Phil Blumenkrantz, Jun 21, 2004.

  1. Looking for ideas for 2-3 day (45-90) mile loop tour through Penn
    Dutch Country. Looking to get off of the heavy-trafficked roads, but
    don't want TOO many hills either. I basically need some back roads to
    get from:
    (1) Lancaster to Intercourse
    (2) Intercourse northwest to Lilitz (could be through Terre Hill/New
    Holland, if trhis doesn't involve too many excess miles
    (3) back to Lancaster (ideally not on 501?)

    I'd be doing during the week in October - how crowded is 340/23/322?
    It seeks the tour route listings that I have either do a grand loop
    through all of the obvious places, sticking to the main roads, or a
    loop from Intercourse to Bowmansville and return, or just a lot of
    jaunts out and about.
    Open to other suggestions. Not interested in Strasburg area
    particularly.
    I do have access to the rides on the Lancaster Bicycle Club site, so
    you could reference any of these. The trick is to put these together.

    Tags:

  2. Phil Blumenkrantz wrote:

    > Looking for ideas for 2-3 day (45-90) mile loop tour through Penn
    > Dutch Country. Looking to get off of the heavy-trafficked roads, but
    > don't want TOO many hills either. I basically need some back roads to
    > get from:
    > (1) Lancaster to Intercourse
    > (2) Intercourse northwest to Lilitz (could be through Terre Hill/New
    > Holland, if trhis doesn't involve too many excess miles
    > (3) back to Lancaster (ideally not on 501?)
    >
    > I'd be doing during the week in October - how crowded is 340/23/322?
    > It seeks the tour route listings that I have either do a grand loop
    > through all of the obvious places, sticking to the main roads, or a
    > loop from Intercourse to Bowmansville and return, or just a lot of
    > jaunts out and about.
    > Open to other suggestions. Not interested in Strasburg area
    > particularly.
    > I do have access to the rides on the Lancaster Bicycle Club site, so
    > you could reference any of these. The trick is to put these together.

    This might help to http://www.berksbicycle.com/OtherEvents.html
    Also Amish country.

    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado
    (remove ".nospam" to reply)

  3. Roy Zipris

    Roy Zipris Guest

    > Phil Blumenkrantz wrote:
    > > Looking for ideas for 2-3 day (45-90) mile loop tour through Penn
    > > Dutch Country.

    I can fax you the cue sheet from the 51 mile Pedal to Preserve ride,
    out of Garden Spot High School, New Holland, to Warwick, Lititz and
    points thereabouts, that I did on Saturday. The event was run by the
    Lancaster Farmland Trust to raise funds for preserving farmland in the
    county; see the Trust's web site at
    http://www.savelancasterfarms.org/savelanc/cwp/view.asp?a=3&q=555327.
    Some nice scenery, horse-drawn buggies, Amish on their bikes, not too
    much traffic.
    --Roy Zipris

  4. [email protected] (Phil Blumenkrantz) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Looking for ideas for 2-3 day (45-90) mile loop tour through Penn
    > Dutch Country. Looking to get off of the heavy-trafficked roads, but
    > don't want TOO many hills either. I basically need some back roads to
    > get from:
    > (1) Lancaster to Intercourse
    > (2) Intercourse northwest to Lilitz (could be through Terre Hill/New
    > Holland, if trhis doesn't involve too many excess miles
    > (3) back to Lancaster (ideally not on 501?)

    Several years ago my wife and I used the following two books which
    were very helpful:
    Short Bike Rides in Eastern Pennsylvania
    by Bill Simpson
    Published by the Globe Pequot Press; Chester, CT

    Scenic Tours of Lancaster County
    published by Lancaster Bicycle Club
    PO Box 535 Lancaster, PA 17603

    Lewis