looking for 2-3 day penn dutch loop

Phil Blumenkrantz

Guest
Looking for ideas for 2-3 day (45-90) mile loop tour through Penn
Dutch Country. Looking to get off of the heavy-trafficked roads, but
don't want TOO many hills either. I basically need some back roads to
get from:
(1) Lancaster to Intercourse
(2) Intercourse northwest to Lilitz (could be through Terre Hill/New
Holland, if trhis doesn't involve too many excess miles
(3) back to Lancaster (ideally not on 501?)

I'd be doing during the week in October - how crowded is 340/23/322?
It seeks the tour route listings that I have either do a grand loop
through all of the obvious places, sticking to the main roads, or a
loop from Intercourse to Bowmansville and return, or just a lot of
jaunts out and about.
Open to other suggestions. Not interested in Strasburg area
particularly.
I do have access to the rides on the Lancaster Bicycle Club site, so
you could reference any of these. The trick is to put these together.

Phil Blumenkrantz wrote:

> Looking for ideas for 2-3 day (45-90) mile loop tour through Penn
> Dutch Country. Looking to get off of the heavy-trafficked roads, but
> don't want TOO many hills either. I basically need some back roads to
> get from:
> (1) Lancaster to Intercourse
> (2) Intercourse northwest to Lilitz (could be through Terre Hill/New
> Holland, if trhis doesn't involve too many excess miles
> (3) back to Lancaster (ideally not on 501?)
>
> I'd be doing during the week in October - how crowded is 340/23/322?
> It seeks the tour route listings that I have either do a grand loop
> through all of the obvious places, sticking to the main roads, or a
> loop from Intercourse to Bowmansville and return, or just a lot of
> jaunts out and about.
> Open to other suggestions. Not interested in Strasburg area
> particularly.
> I do have access to the rides on the Lancaster Bicycle Club site, so
> you could reference any of these. The trick is to put these together.

This might help to http://www.berksbicycle.com/OtherEvents.html
Also Amish country.

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado
(remove ".nospam" to reply)

> Phil Blumenkrantz wrote:
> > Looking for ideas for 2-3 day (45-90) mile loop tour through Penn
> > Dutch Country.

I can fax you the cue sheet from the 51 mile Pedal to Preserve ride,
out of Garden Spot High School, New Holland, to Warwick, Lititz and
points thereabouts, that I did on Saturday. The event was run by the
Lancaster Farmland Trust to raise funds for preserving farmland in the
county; see the Trust's web site at
http://www.savelancasterfarms.org/savelanc/cwp/view.asp?a=3&q=555327.
Some nice scenery, horse-drawn buggies, Amish on their bikes, not too
much traffic.
--Roy Zipris

[email protected] (Phil Blumenkrantz) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Looking for ideas for 2-3 day (45-90) mile loop tour through Penn
> Dutch Country. Looking to get off of the heavy-trafficked roads, but
> don't want TOO many hills either. I basically need some back roads to
> get from:
> (1) Lancaster to Intercourse
> (2) Intercourse northwest to Lilitz (could be through Terre Hill/New
> Holland, if trhis doesn't involve too many excess miles
> (3) back to Lancaster (ideally not on 501?)

Several years ago my wife and I used the following two books which
were very helpful:
Short Bike Rides in Eastern Pennsylvania
by Bill Simpson
Published by the Globe Pequot Press; Chester, CT

Scenic Tours of Lancaster County
published by Lancaster Bicycle Club
PO Box 535 Lancaster, PA 17603

Lewis