Looking for a 27" tire for commuting and touring...

Kim

Guest
Hi guys,

Looking for (at least) a pair of 27" clinchers to put on my fixie and
also to put on a touring bike I'm working on. A friend, who I'm trying
to get back on the bike is also needing a pair =)

I have found these on probikekit and wondered if anyone knew of anything
else;
http://probikekit.com/display.php?code=Y1268

cheers,

Kim

I've used that tyre in its 700x32 or 700x35 incarnation. No complaints.

For a slightly lighter alternative, the Conti Gatorskin is made in 27x1-1/4.

Nick

"Kim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Hi guys,
>
> Looking for (at least) a pair of 27" clinchers to put on my fixie and
> also to put on a touring bike I'm working on. A friend, who I'm trying
> to get back on the bike is also needing a pair =)
>
> I have found these on probikekit and wondered if anyone knew of anything
> else;
> http://probikekit.com/display.php?code=Y1268
>
> cheers,
>
> Kim

Continental top tour2000s 700c were long lasting but a bugger to get off and
on on an Asian sourced rim ( I think) on a Trek Tourer. A bike mech told me
Contis are designed for european rims which apparently are slightly
smaller.(?) I've got a Serfas SECA tyre (28) which seem to be ok on the
front, and I have some wider Serfas VIDA on the back. They are supposed to
be puncture resistant and so far thats true. Contis were good at that too.

bobm

news:[email protected]...

On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 12:00:47 +0000, Fractal wrote:

> Continental top tour2000s 700c were long lasting but a bugger to get
> off and on on an Asian sourced rim ( I think) on a Trek Tourer. A bike
> mech told me Contis are designed for european rims which apparently
> are slightly smaller.

I've no idea, and can't be arsed Googling, where Sun rims come from. I do
know that it's a lot harder to put some of my tyres (IRC Metro 1.5", I'm
looking at you!) on to a Sun Rhyno Lite than a Mavic D521, which are
reasonably similar rims as far as width and weight. Same goes for the
Mavic rims on my other mountain bike - I rarely use tyre levers for either
one.

That said, Conti tyres I've never found hard to get on or off, but I only
know their MTB stuff.

--
Dave Hughes | [email protected]
Flagrant system error!

Random Data wrote:
> On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 12:00:47 +0000, Fractal wrote:
> > Continental top tour2000s 700c were long lasting but a bugger to get
> > off and on on an Asian sourced rim ( I think) on a Trek Tourer. A bike
> > mech told me Contis are designed for european rims which apparently
> > are slightly smaller.

> I've no idea, and can't be arsed Googling, where Sun rims come from. I do
> know that it's a lot harder to put some of my tyres (IRC Metro 1.5", I'm
> looking at you!) on to a Sun Rhyno Lite than a Mavic D521, which are
> reasonably similar rims as far as width and weight. Same goes for the
> Mavic rims on my other mountain bike - I rarely use tyre levers for either
> one.
>
> That said, Conti tyres I've never found hard to get on or off, but I only
> know their MTB stuff.

ok cool, so how about an Australian online reseller?

cheers,

Kim

Nick Payne wrote:
> I've used that tyre in its 700x32 or 700x35 incarnation. No complaints.
>
> For a slightly lighter alternative, the Conti Gatorskin is made in 27x1-1/4.

thats really the tires i'm after ... just finding the damn things is a
pain =)

still looking online tho =D

cheers,

Kim

You're probably not going to believe it but you can get a Dunlop 27 x 1-1/4 at Kmart. They even have the brown gum walls on them for the retro look. No idea the quality or price though.

--
Frank
[email protected]
"smartie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> You're probably not going to believe it but you can get a Dunlop 27 x
> 1-1/4 at Kmart. They even have the brown gum walls on them for the
> retro look. No idea the quality or price though.
>

> --
> smartie

My brother has been riding on these for years and years. They last like a
very long lasting thing and it pisses me off no end when he laughs at me
when I flat; he's had one flat in about 15 years. Sod.

Frank

Plodder wrote:
> Frank wrote
> > You're probably not going to believe it but you can get a Dunlop 27 x
> > 1-1/4 at Kmart. They even have the brown gum walls on them for the
> > retro look. No idea the quality or price though.

> My brother has been riding on these for years and years. They last like a
> very long lasting thing and it pisses me off no end when he laughs at me
> when I flat; he's had one flat in about 15 years. Sod.

well i'm riding on them on my fixie and they are carp!
/me has a 700x23 toob in them and you can count the average patches per
inch on one hand...

which is why i am looking for decent tire for it =)
i scared the carp out of a bunch tourist looking types crossing at the
lights this morning as the tube let go when crossing an intersection
this morning =) BANG hiss hiss hissss
large and sharp bit of glass or summat, sliced the tyre and the toob was
a helpless victim in the affair =/

kim