Looking for a Bike for big &Tall Man?????

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by big todd, Feb 20, 2005.

1. big todd

big todd New Member

Hey guys I'm new here and need some advice. I'm not a dye hard bike rider and am just getting started. I am 6 foot 6 inches and pushing 300 lbs. I am fairly active and not super fat just big. I want to get a bike for moderate use. I'd probably ride a couple days a week and more so in the summer. I need something for road use mainly but could also handle some easy to moderate trails. I like Moutain bikes because of the heavier duty tires. Here's the catch though..... I don't want to spend alot of money. I know you get what you pay for but I'm on a tight budget right now. I've looked at the Gary Fisher bikes that run about $420 in the XXL frame.

:confused: What would everyone suggest? Does anyone have anything used? What should I expect to pay? What inch bike should I go with? I'm new so please be kind to my ignorance... THANKS

Tags:

2. portrider

portrider New Member

When I started to ride last year I was 270 pounds. I'm 6' 4". I bought a Gary Fisher Tarpon for about $250 new. I've got about 1500 miles on it now without any problems at all.

3. DecSim

DecSim New Member

Kona (www.konaworld.com) make the Hoss range specifically for big riders. The cheapest new one is the Hoss at $799 so out of your budget but if you see a second hand one then it's really worth a look.

DecSim (not a kona employee honest)

4. RC2

RC2 New Member

This might be out of your budget range but it also might give you some ideas on what to look for. Leonard Zinn is a big guy and knows how to design and build bikes for big guys. For instance if I was getting a very large frame I'd look for 29" wheels. http://www.zinncycles.com/bikes.aspx?bike=projbig

Good luck.

5. Hickabod

Hickabod New Member

Apparently I'm tall but not big. I'm a little over 6'7" tall, but only 167 pounds (I'm a beanpole). Anyway I recently purchased a Raliegh C40 cross bike and it's very comfortable. No back aches yet.