looking for a bike that can take racks, wides tires (1.5"), and a trailer.

Not a lot of info to go with, but I'll give it a shot. Either a hybrid or a MTB with road tires rather than knobbies.

actually, i was thinking of something along the lines of a surly LHT, but i'm not sure if that's the right bike.

LHT, Trek 520, various Rivendell models, some SOMA models, many touring other bikes.

What kind of riding are you going to be doing? Short trips to the store? Triathlons? Commuting? Loaded touring? The LHT is a good bike but it is much more suited to loaded touring than other bikes. If your only criteria were the ability to mount racks and tow a trailer, any bike that has holes in the rear dropouts will work for you.

just commuting type stuff and maybe a trip to the hardware store or grocery store every now and then. needs to be able to tow large loads. i was thinking of the LHT because i would have a second set of wheels for it since it uses MTB wheels. it doesn't need to be fast really either. I've decided that platforms are best for me.

The Long Haul Trucker sounds like it would be a good choice. It is an excellent bike and will easily be able to handle what you have described. If you are worried about the LHT's hauling capabilities, check out the Big Dummy on Surly's website: http://surlybikes.com/bikes/

KITCHUNSYNC from Liebo bicycles - it does everything, road, cyclo cross, touring, single speed, city bike, and has an adjustable wheelbase!

www.liebobicycles.com