Looking for a book suggestion.

Thrive

Jan 2, 2014
Greetings all,

I'm a personal trainer with a rigorous training program, but towards the end of this year I'd like to start getting into my first laid back competitions, of as yet unknown length. What I'm hoping to find is a book that gives good detail quality training advice for a competitor, though not professional level, but also not for someone that is picking out their first bike. I'm looking for as specific and scientifically backed advice as possible by whatever book(s) I choose, so I was hoping for some good suggestions from the community.

Thank you!

You're a trainer with a rigorous training program looking for...a training program?

Alllrighty, then!

"Beginning Bicycle Racing" by Fred Matheny "Bicycle Road Racing: The Complete Program for Training and Competition" by Edward Borysewicz "Cycling Health and Physiology: Using Sports Science To Improve Your Riding and Racing" by Ed R. Burke

Yeah, the same Ed Burke that set up the 1984 Olympic Games blood doping scheme.

This website: http://www.startbikeracing.com/index.php/road-racing/road-racing

Good luck and have fun.

Thank you both for the suggestions! Is there one specific one you'd suggest for someone with at least 6 months to build a good base? I will be picking up more later but have a gift card to split between a few subjects and would love to start with what you guys would see as the main must have book for the non-pro. Danke!

OP, if you're a trainer with almost any level of training under your belt, you are very likely to be in good enough shape to enter rookie-level (Cat. 5 or Citizen's level) criteriums and road/circuit races. This is assuming you work on your cardio and are not solely a body builder/weight lifter.

Even then, I've witnessed pure gym rats come out on the pavement and play and their sheer strength can translate into speed that terrorizes many more experienced riders...as does their lack of bike handling skills and lack of base knowledge of what they should be doing in the pack and during the race.

Be advised that other than 'some' training races (weekly events organized among local groups of racers to stay sharp and work on speed/endurance) there is very little 'laid back' racing to be had.

For the non-racer or aspiring roadie I think it is advisable to read as much about racing as about training. And more than the reading of either subject, I advise you just to jump in and get out on the road with fit sport riders and then move up to riding and training with licensed racer types.

Hitting up Google (or whatever your favorite search engine might be) for an hour or so each day will build your knowledge base quickly and expose you to the nuances and traditions that make up bicycle racing.

Recognize that what works well for one person may be no so effective to the next. There are rules, guidelines and generalizations, but they must be applied with caution and you really should have experienced mentors alongside you to help you progress while making as few mistakes as possible. No book or web advice can replace a few experienced eyes that are riding with you.

Lastly, if you are a PT, you should be able to network with the other trainers in your area to recommend training advice...clubs and riders to join up with to get started, local amateur racing squads, coaching available in your area, etc.

A lot of what Bob said but I'll add...

Racing is racing. Same thing as in a fight if you approach it laid back you often get your clock cleaned, quite simple. Except in a bike race you just get dropped, not a blood spot on your eye that takes 3 weeks to dissipate. The worst culprit is usually pride. Good news, If you don't approach your training "laid back" you can probably have fun during your first race instead of just hanging on for dear life, it sounds like that won't be a problem.

Not sure what country you are in (US, Germany?) but I remember lining up at the first Cat5 race of the season in Central Park after a decade off the bike. The kid next to me was wearing knickers and I playfully said "nice tan". He replied yeah me an my team just got back from a Florida training camp. Wait! Wut did he just say? When I raced in the 80's, most of the guys lining up at the start of entry level/citizens races had bellies and hairy legs, now that was laid back. This kid had a team, deep section wheels, and an even deeper tan from a FLA training camp! WTF! Am I lining up with the 5's or the 3's?

Depending on where you live, the entry level scene will have varying levels of talent. And in the bigger pools there's often that guy, aka the sandbagger, who's been lining up with the 5's for the last 3 seasons who the race marshall's haven't quite caught onto yet and who should be a Cat3 based on his speed.

The good thing is a number of entry level guys don't understand the importance of actually riding a bike to be fast on the bike as they are too busy arguing about the importance of doing squats are on the forums. Don't get me wrong I love squats, they just don't seem to make me any faster. As Bob said some of those guys possess ungodly power combined with atrocious bike handling. Do not, I repeat do not follow those wheels. The good news is entry level circuit race distances are usually quite short - my local park Cat5 races are 17mi, compared with the 35mi the 4's race. Cat5 RR distances however are usually on par with the 4's, 60 miles give or take and this is where many starting 5's who have followed the "time crunch" plans without the appropriate miles in their legs tend to suffer.

In preparation for the 5's with it's combo of comparatively short distances and shortage of race tactics, regular rides with one or two longer rides each week (2-3+ hours), and a half dozen or so full tilt efforts lasting 2-3 minutes sprinkled throughout for a few months are a good start.

Unfortunately many of the plans geared toward folks on limited time seem to jump into intervals right away. They are actually in direct contradiction with your goal of "building base". Best way to build base for a beginner cyclist (some but not all fitness from other activities is transferable) imo? Ride 4 or 5 days a week consistently, mostly at moderate speeds, adding distance over time, and with groups who will help stretch your legs but groups which don't have you busting a lung for the entire ride. Try not too take more than one day off between rides unless you are sick, run down, or just feeling mentally drained, but some rest beyond a good night sleep after hard rides is definitely required to get stronger. Base is all about consistency, frequency, and moderation.

Now for your original question:
Cyclists Training Bible by Joe Friel and The Ultimate Ride by Chris Carmichael are a couple I recommend. If you have the time go to a well stocked Barnes&Noble and browse, there are probably quite a few titles you may miss by going solely on the advice of the peanut gallery.

Thank you guys for the great input! I definitely have the strength though right now I am focusing in the gym on corrective exercises and strengthening my posterior train, I over did it with some metabolic work. Outside of weights, however, my conditioning is shite and that's what I'm working on now in large part.

I have a friend who graduated from the same training program as me, who is an aspiring triathlete and is superb on technique understanding and coaching. He's invited me to join their weekly group where they have a smallish loop they do, everyone at their own pace but some groups, which I imagine will be useful for technique and pacing instructions. I don't think I can fit that into my life yet (especially as I lack a bike rack or vehicle that can transport my bike), but it will be there when I need it. For now my focus is building a strong conditioning foundation and figure out the best way I can plan out the next 6-9 months of my training.