Looking for a "Brooks" like saddle

On 2007-10-08 09:29:38 -0600, landotter <[email protected]> said:

>>> Structural integrity and good design thrown out the window, only $199!

>> Well, when you're wrong, you're REALLY wrong! I have this saddle and it is
>> the best one I've seen. I have tried to break in a Brooks B17 for about 9
>> months before I finally gave up on it.

> A Brooks takes less than 50 miles to break in.

ha.. i'm gonna ignore that.

i've got one of each.. a brooks and a selle anatomica. it's a pretty
nice saddle,
actually. the best thing about it is the waterproofing (they really
seemed to have
nailed that).

but it's pretty different than the brooks.. i had to adjust the tension
right out of the
box to dial it in (whereas on a brooks you basically don't touch that).
it was super
comfy right away in a way that no new brooks has ever been for me. that said,
i'm a little afraid that the reason for that has a lot to do with the
stretchiness of the
leather which may not bode well for its longevity. there was literally
no break in
and it truly is amazingly comfortable.

the price point is $155, which is on par w/ a brooks of the same range and the
workmanship is similiar -- a swallow it is not, but a team pro perhaps.
it's not
more expensive than a brooks, that's for sure.
--
david reuteler
[email protected]

In article <2007100820110516807-dmrusenet@lupercaliaorg>,
David Reuteler <[email protected]> writes:

>>> Well, when you're wrong, you're REALLY wrong! I have this saddle and it is
>>> the best one I've seen. I have tried to break in a Brooks B17 for about 9
>>> months before I finally gave up on it.

>> A Brooks takes less than 50 miles to break in.

> ha.. i'm gonna ignore that.
>
> i've got one of each.. a brooks and a selle anatomica. it's a pretty
> nice saddle,
> actually. the best thing about it is the waterproofing (they really
> seemed to have
> nailed that).
>
> but it's pretty different than the brooks.. i had to adjust the tension
> right out of the
> box to dial it in (whereas on a brooks you basically don't touch that).
> it was super
> comfy right away in a way that no new brooks has ever been for me. that said,
> i'm a little afraid that the reason for that has a lot to do with the
> stretchiness of the
> leather which may not bode well for its longevity. there was literally
> no break in
> and it truly is amazingly comfortable.
>
> the price point is $155, which is on par w/ a brooks of the same range and the
> workmanship is similiar -- a swallow it is not, but a team pro perhaps.
> it's not
> more expensive than a brooks, that's for sure.

Hi, David. It's good to see you again.
Whatcha been up to?

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:

In article <[email protected]>,
"David L. Johnson" <[email protected]> writes:
> landotter wrote:
>> On Oct 7, 9:55 pm, Ozark Bicycle
>> <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> www.selleanatomica.com
>>>
>>> Lotsa hype + high prices.......should be a big hit in today's market.

>> Structural integrity and good design thrown out the window, only $199!
>>

> Especially when marketed by a company (Rivendell) that considers itself
> somehow above all the hype and marketing over substance.
>
> BTW, that looks like a truly nasty saddle. If the wrong thing gets in
> there, it'd pinch something fierce.

I believe if there were more simple, /flat/ saddles
available, it'd save a lot of people a lot of grief.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

I just sent back a Selle An-Atomica as it did not work for me. While it did
feel fairly comfortable right away the rear "wings" would push into my
thighs on every stroke and I could feel the slot regardless of saddle
tension. More tension made the back half feel better but the slot edges
killed me. Less tension eased the slot discomfort but flattened out the
rear making it too wide. The company founder was helpful at first with
setup suggestions but turned a bit pissy when I wanted to return it under
their 30 day return policy. Lots of people love them though but lots like
the Specialized Toupe and that felt like a razor blade to me.

Tim McTeague

On Oct 8, 8:07 pm, Ozark Bicycle
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Oct 8, 7:46 pm, "David L. Johnson" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

> > landotter wrote:

> > > Structural integrity and good design thrown out the window, only $199!

> > Especially when marketed by a company (Rivendell) that considers itself
> > somehow above all the hype and marketing over substance.

> IMO, that's all in the past; nowadays Riv is just as much "hype and
> market" as anyone else....just with a bit of folksy flavored snake oil
> instead of high tech double-talk.

Grant's become the Marjoe of the cycling world.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=fSdI8ag1k0A

"Ladies and gentlemen, I'd like to testify about 650b"

> > BTW, that looks like a truly nasty saddle. If the wrong thing gets in
> > there, it'd pinch something fierce.

ball chain clasp

"Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Pat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

> >> Structural integrity and good design thrown out the window, only $199!

> > Well, when you're wrong, you're REALLY wrong! I have this saddle and it
> > is the best one I've seen. I have tried to break in a Brooks B17 for
> > about 9 months before I finally gave up on it. The selleanatomica
> > saddle was instantly comfortable and has remained so. [...]
> >

> I've had a brooks b17 for 3 years now...no problems breaking it in and I
> see no reason for that hole in the middle of the selleanatomica...I'm not
> sure if I want my vitals bits hanging through that slot! Ouch! :)

Ooooh, yeah. That looks painful, even without having to factor in dangly
bits.

My B17 required no breaking in, and has been the most comfortable saddle
I've ever had (5-6 years now). Positioning is important with it, though.
The exact right tilt is critical. (Possibly TMI but after having had a baby
I had to adjust the tilt on mine ever so slightly.)

--
z e l d a b e e @ g m a i l . c o m

On 2007-10-08 23:13:10 -0600, [email protected] (Tom Keats) said:
> Hi, David. It's good to see you again.
> Whatcha been up to?

webservices, coding.. java, lots of work. but fun. the last few years
have been
pretty good.

still biking .. my car no longer starts, it's essentially abandoned.
poor car. it had
always been good to me. it deserved better.

i'll probably have to get laid off again to get in another long tour,
all i've managed
recently was a long weekend around missoula a few weeks back. i'd very much
like to get laid off again (are we in another bubble yet?).

last summer was the high point biking-wise, tho. i tried to do a
double century
and got as far as 180 (http://tinyurl.com/yuny9y) before calling it quits, an
interesting experience to say the least. lots of logistical issues i'd
never thought
of.

like my ipod's battery ran out.

same for the garmin.

then it got dark.

and it was only may. i peaked in may. that was probably the weirdest
part of all.
so for the rest of the summer i just took it easy.

it was kind of enjoyable that way, actually.

a good summer.
--
david reuteler
[email protected]

"DanRH" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> This saddle was created by a guy who used the Brooks design but made it
> anatomically. Actually, that may be in the name. Some long distance riders
> swear by these custom saddles.
>
> Anyone know what I'm talking about?
>
> Thanks

==================================>>>>>

I have used a Brooks saddle off and on for years. I admit; I love the
"look".
But,,, honestly, the new softer, anatomic saddles are more comfortable.
There are the riders who will tell everyone that after the Brooks is broken
in ,,, blah blah blah.

By the time the Brooks is broken in, my back/ass/crotch/.. and all connected
parts are ruined.

Sir Thomas of Cannondale wrote:
:: "DanRH" <[email protected]> wrote in message
:: news:[email protected]...
::: This saddle was created by a guy who used the Brooks design but
::: made it anatomically. Actually, that may be in the name. Some long
::: distance riders swear by these custom saddles.
:::
::: Anyone know what I'm talking about?
:::
::: Thanks
:: ==================================>>>>>
::
:: I have used a Brooks saddle off and on for years. I admit; I love
:: the "look".
:: But,,, honestly, the new softer, anatomic saddles are more
:: comfortable. There are the riders who will tell everyone that after
:: the Brooks is broken in ,,, blah blah blah.
::
:: By the time the Brooks is broken in, my back/ass/crotch/.. and all
:: connected parts are ruined.

It seems that the moral here is that there is no perfect saddle...as there
is no perfect back/ass/crotch. Hence, one must find what works for h/im/er.

"Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Pat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

>>> Structural integrity and good design thrown out the window, only $199!

>> Well, when you're wrong, you're REALLY wrong! I have this saddle and it
>> is the best one I've seen. I have tried to break in a Brooks B17 for
>> about 9 months before I finally gave up on it. The selleanatomica saddle
>> was instantly comfortable and has remained so. They took the good parts
>> of the Brooks design and made it better. So, you should stick with what
>> you know---and you don't know anything about riding the selleanatomica.
>> Oh--and it didn't cost that much, either.
>>

> I've had a brooks b17 for 3 years now...no problems breaking it in and I
> see no reason for that hole in the middle of the selleanatomica...I'm not
> sure if I want my vitals bits hanging through that slot! Ouch! :)

My Brooks B17s were comfortable right out of the box. They were a bit smooth
at first but that's not a big deal. I have heard that Brooks Professional is
thicker leather and has a longer break in period, but I haven't tried a Pro.

A Brooks will last for tens of decades, given proper care. I have my doubts
the An-Atomica will. The slot in the middle has to affect structural
integrity.

"Pat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

>>> Well, when you're wrong, you're REALLY wrong! I have this saddle and it
>>> is
>>> the best one I've seen. I have tried to break in a Brooks B17 for about
>>> 9
>>> months before I finally gave up on it.

>> A Brooks takes less than 50 miles to break in.

> Do NOT assume that your experience is the norm. When I was having so dang
> much trouble breaking this thing in, I started doing a google search and
> found out that many, many people have problems with Brooks saddles. That
> is why, if you start a Brooks thread, half of the people writing in will
> tell you they hate the things!
>
> P.s. Want to buy a little used Brooks B-17?
>
> Pat in TX

Are they for everybody? No, nothing is. But I think that a lot of the people
who complain about Brooks probably don't have their saddles adjusted
properly.

Gooserider wrote:
> "Pat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

>>>A Brooks takes less than 50 miles to break in.

>>Do NOT assume that your experience is the norm. When I was having so dang
>>much trouble breaking this thing in, I started doing a google search and
>>found out that many, many people have problems with Brooks saddles. That
>>is why, if you start a Brooks thread, half of the people writing in will
>>tell you they hate the things!
>>
>>P.s. Want to buy a little used Brooks B-17?
>>
>>Pat in TX
>>

> Are they for everybody? No, nothing is. But I think that a lot of the people
> who complain about Brooks probably don't have their saddles adjusted
> properly.

I have four Brooks on my four bikes: 1 B-17, 1 B-17 Champion and 2
Champion Flyers (with the springs; B-66??). I like them all.

I noted that the two B-17s were very comfortable right out of the
box and really required no break in. However the two Champion Flyers
took a while to get real comfy; not that they were unusable at any
time. Just not like the B-17s.

I noticed the Champion Flyers had very concave tops to them and I
slid around on them a bit. Seat adjustment didn't seem to really
help. Too far forward and one slid back; too far back and one slid
forward; too nose high, backwards; too nose down, forward.

Finally decided to do the dreaded saddle tension adjustment. I hear
over and over that one does not dare tamper with that nose bolt lest
one destroy the saddle.

I don't think I believe this any more. I first tightened up my oldest
B-17 after 10 years when it developed a pronounced sag, probably from
using too much proofide too often. I carefully tightened the bolt
to tension up the saddle and removed the sag. That was a couple years
ago and it's going strong still.

So I decided to do the same to the new Champion Flyer with the concave
top. Tightened it up a bit. Rode it a bit. Tightened it a bit, rode
a bit. Eventually, the sag was much reduced and the saddle quite
comfortable.

The new Champion Flyer purchased this year immediately got the tension
bolt treatment. Cranked that bolt out a good 1/2 to 3/4 inch from the
get go. No problems.

Take a look at the length of the adjuster bolt next time you see a
Brooks. It's quite long! I no longer believe the Brooks tensioner
is something essentially to be ignored. If your saddle top sags to
the point of riding annoyance or discomfort, consider the tension bolt
on the saddle nose. I suspect it was always meant to be fully utilized.

Either that or Brooks has seriously over-built the saddle tensioner
system using a bolt that is a couple or more inches long rather than
one that only need be mere millimeters!

SMH