Looking for a cheaper bike for a women 350 pounds?

dawnrenee88

Jun 15, 2014
I'm a women looking to start riding again. I'm looking to ride for fun as well as weight loss. I'm currently 350 pounds and don't want to spend hundreds of dollars to buy a bicycle.

I'm 5'5" 350 age 25. Any help finding out what bike to buy would be great help.

The bike I currently have is a mtn.tamer vertical. But I have never ridden it before the tires are flat and I just got it about 2 weeks ago from a friend. So I don't want to just git on it and have everything brake under my weight.

If there is a way to make my bike I have hold more rider weight that would be great but if I have to go for a new bike I would like to know where to start.

160kg? How do you people do it...?
big-smile.png

Ok, probably best to forget about cycling at the moment, or running, or anything that is "gravity related".
wink.png

The problem is not just making a bike that will hold the weight "once", (more weight makes the bike break down faster too), it's also putting stress on your legs etc.

Why not swimming?
smile.png

My ex was 5'7" and about 375. She lost an initial 50# walking. At that weight any movement + a healthy nutritional plan will shed weight easily. After you hit a "wall" you can move on to more activity such as running, etc. For biking, her weight loss coach had her on a stationary bike at the gym for 6 months before he let her get on a traditional cruiser.

Originally Posted by dawnrenee88
I'm a women looking to start riding again. I'm looking to ride for fun as well as weight loss. I'm currently 350 pounds and don't want to spend hundreds of dollars to buy a bicycle.

I'm 5'5" 350 age 25. Any help finding out what bike to buy would be great help.
Good for you, and good luck on your training.

Unfortunately, decent new bikes start at around $400, and even then I'd recommend an upgrade model with stronger wheels, which would cost a bit more than $500. I'm envisioning you on a fitness hybrid like a Trek 7.3 FX (the wheel upgrade). Check it out here.http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/road/fitness/fx/7_3_fx_wsd/#

A similar bike that's easier on the budget is the Diamondback Clarity, but the wheels . . On the other hand, even upgraded wheels might not be up to the job. Anyway, here's the link. .http://www.diamondback.com/bikes-pavement-womens-performance-hybrid-clarity-1. This is one price-point bike that is solidly made and a delightful ride. I think Performance Bikes has these at a pretty good discount.

Keep in mind that Trek's bikes have a 300lb. rider weight limit.