Looking for a Classic Floor Pump

Dansky

Jan 25, 2010
I'll make a short story shorter, and just say that I'm in the market for a really solid floor pump (for my road bike) that will last for years to come...tired of plastic **** that wears out after 1 season of cycling. I tend to favor vintage-styles, and my search is more or less down to the following:

• SKS Rennkompressor
• Silca Super Pista
• Leyzyne Classic Floor Drive
• Serfas FMP-500

Opinions, and/or experiences would be most appreciated.

I reccomend almost all of the serfas floor pumps unless it is the cheap model. I have a serfas floor pump and it is great. The electric ones are horrible to me. I hope you find a good bike pump!

Silca! There can be only one!

Columbus tubing FTMFW! Replacement parts available and it's rebuildable. I've got one that nearly 40 years old and I still use it weekly.

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB .

Silca! There can be only one!

Columbus tubing FTMFW! Replacement parts available and it's rebuildable. I've got one that nearly 40 years old and I still use it weekly.
A great pump except for the one time I tried inflating my tires while somewhat drunk and in the buff... never again /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

The only prob with the Silca track pump was the teeny base. That thing would fall over at the drop of a hat.

Any pump w/ a Hirame chuck is swell (I'm currently using a Blackburn). Cost an arm and a leg but nothing sweeter to get air inside imo and was worth every penny, esp since I run latex these days and use it daily.

Out of those I'd go for the Silca...

... but IMHO the Specialized AirTool Comp just blows them all out the water. Blows... pump.. get it? ;)

It has a larger metal barrel than the Silca and a rather unique end to the hose that stays on the smooth valvestems of the Specialized Turbo Ultralight very well. It has a large base too - so large that I've not actually had to stand on the grippy footrests.

The Silca would be your best bet.

Although now dont laugh to loud. Shwinn Cyclone. Steel construction works great on threaded and nonthreaded valve stems. I have been using mine for five years trouble free. Granted it wont last 40 years but niether will I.

I've got a Park pump with which I'm pretty chuffed. If it dies, I'll likely get a Lezyne or a Birzman, even if I have to order it from Europe. Here's the Birzman:
Birzman-Maha-floor-pump-with-quick-release-valve.jpg

Originally Posted by alienator .

I've got a Park pump with which I'm pretty chuffed. If it dies, I'll likely get a Lezyne or a Birzman, even if I have to order it from Europe. Here's the Birzman:
That Birzman is a real beauty, Alienator...I always get pumped up over good design.

After 40 years of hard use, several head gaskets, and a one replacement hose (after cutting out the damaged sections of the original hose), I replaced my venerable Silca track pump with a Serfas FMP-500. I was impressed by the metal cladding on the hose and the ruggedness of the head. The pressure gauge stopped working after about 18 months, but that was probably caused by my leaving the pump on a wet garage floor. Serfas replaced it promptly free of charge. I'm impressed.

40 years and not one replacement part on that old Silca Track Pump...not even the more 'modern' Super Pista model. I keep the leather greaed and the shaft oiled.

My back has been broken once in two places. Don't need no stinkin' 5° 'leanback'. Whatever the hell that's supposed to do for you.

My old Pista has a push-on head...no lock. Never needed one and mine doesn't 'blow off'.

When I pack the car for a race, vacation or ride, I want the minimum space possible used by my floor pump. I don't need three or four legs to snag on ****.

Despite the fact that I'm nearing 60 years old, I can still read the 'small' floor level pressure gauge easily. Top-mounted = top-heavy = more easily damaged WHEN (not if) the pump gets knocked over. My pressure gauge is OEM.

And regardless of the brand you buy...NEVER get blotto and attempt to pump up your tires in the nude!

Although now dont laugh to loud. Shwinn Cyclone.

This is possibly a Meidai brand pump from Japan, as Schwinn did sell them as "Schwinn Approved" for years. Very good quality, for sure! My 1974 Meidai is still going strong, although I use it mainly for Schraeder valve duty (with an adapter).

Meidai pumps were a good value IMO, but I'm not sure if they are still sold in the States. I haven't seen one for sale in years.Hmmm...it looks like the Pyramid brand utilizes the same base castings and reservoir/gage assemblies. Possibly a Chicom knockoff of the Medai?

http://www.bikepartsusa.com/bikeparts/item/01-80847/pump-floor_pump/Pyramid--Floor%2C-Guage%2C-Pump&category=pump-floor_pump

That Pyramid looks like a good deal. I've dealt with Bike Parts USA and I've always been satisfied.

OBC, no clue as to the quality of the Pyramid units. They may be Japanese, or more likely Chinese manufacture. They ARE a Meidai clone and my old Meidai is still going strong. Good luck with it, if you order one and please let me know what sort of quality or **** it may be. The folks at Bike Parts USA are pretty straight shooters and will probaly give you their honest opinion of the Pyramid stuff before you plunk down your cash.

Yeah, EVERYTHING has become a high art form these days...$5/cups of coffee...$7,000 ink pens...enviroweenie tire levers made of recycled marmot hair...$100 floor pumps by Salvatore Dolly.

I think I'm going to open a museum Art Gallery of pumps...floor...track...frame...pocket...the whole shebang! I figure I should be able to charge at least $1 per customer patron of the arts.

I like my lezyne Classic. It cost about $100 on Wiggle two years ago and is the best pump I've ever used.

It is machine made with no plastic or fibreglass.

It was a bit pricey, but I doubt I'll ever need to but another pump.

It has a reversible screw-on adapter for Schrader or Presta valves. ( I've tried the quick release pumps, but find they leak too much).

With the lezyne you can see from the gauge that every stroke of the handle is actually increasing the tyre's pressure.

Additionally it is a high volume pump, so you require very few strokes to bring the tyre to full pressure. (120 psi).