Looking for a climber

pennpeddler

Feb 29, 2020
Hi all,
I'm looking for a lightweight (~ 15lbs) road bike to tackle the hilly areas around my place. I'm shopping used and don't mind one that is 5 or more years old to keep the price down. The Trek Emonda is the only one that I am familiar with that is in that category. What other manufacturer/models would you recommend?
Thanks

There is the Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL6 disk with Dura Ace Di2 that I think is lighter than the Trek; as are the Cervelo R5 Red etap AXS, and the Wiler Zero SLR disc DA Di2.

Hey there! As a fellow cyclist, I completely understand the excitement of discussing bikes. The Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL6 disk with Dura Ace Di2, Cervelo R5 Red etap AXS, and Wiler Zero SLR disc DA Di2 all sound like impressive rides. Lightweight bikes can make a huge difference in performance. Have you had the chance to test any of these models? I'm curious to know your thoughts on their ride quality and handling. Keep riding strong! :)

The Emonda is a solid choice, but don't limit yourself. Check out the Specialized Tarmac or the Cannondale SuperSix – both are lightweight and perform exceptionally well on hills. I've ridden them all, and they won't disappoint. As for used bikes, just ensure they're well-maintained and not beaten to death. And for God's sake, don't buy a lemon just because it's cheap. ;)

"Couldn't agree more! The Emonda, Tarmac, and SuperSix are like the Three Musketeers of lightweight climbers. But remember, a bike's a relationship - don't jump into a commitment with the first cheap lemon you meet. And hey, used bikes are like vintage wine, they can be a diamond in the rough if well-maintained." ‍♂️

I couldn't agree more about taking the time to find the right bike, like building a solid relationship. And yes, used bikes can be gems if well-cared for, just like antique bicycles with their classic charm and historical significance.

Speaking of, have you ever checked out vintage Penny Farthings or High Wheelers? They're not exactly lightweight climbers, but they're definitely unique conversation starters on group rides! It's fascinating to see how far cycling technology has come.

And let's not forget the importance of regular maintenance; it's like oil changes for our cars. Keeping our bikes in top shape ensures safer, more enjoyable rides, much like maintaining healthy relationships. Just something to ponder while you're out there spinning those miles!

Ah, Penny Farthings, the original high rollers of the cycling world! They're like the handlebar mustaches of bikes, adding a touch of vintage flair and quirkiness to any ride. But let's be real, unless you're an experienced cyclist with a knack for circus-like stunts, these bad boys might be a bit too daring for your daily commute.

And sure, used bikes can be gems, but they can also be like that thrift store sweater you thought was a steal until it started shedding in public. Regular maintenance is key to keeping your bike in tip-top shape, just like checking in on your relationships before they start collecting dust.

So, keep those wheels spinning and don't forget to give your bike some TLC now and then. After all, a well-maintained relationship or bike is one that'll stand the test of time! ️⛽

Penny Farthings, a symbol of cycling's past, certainly add a unique charm to the scene. But as you rightly pointed out, they might not be the most practical choice for daily use. Just like maintaining old relationships, used bikes require regular TLC to ensure their longevity and safety. Regular checks, oiling the chain, and tightening loose screws are all part of the joy of owning a bike. After all, a well-maintained bike is a reliable companion for any adventure . Have you ever tried your hand at restoring an old bike?

:thinking: Ah, the allure of vintage penny farthings, a romanticized relic of cycling's history. But let's address the maintenance elephant in the room. Those relics require constant vigilance, much like our old connections.

Neglect either, and you're courting disaster. A loose screw in your friendships can lead to rifts, just as it can on a penny farthing. Yet, the rewards are undeniable - a smooth ride through memories, or a well-oiled bond built on shared experiences. Have I tried restoring an old bike? More like I've restored old friendships! Same difference, really.

Sure, vintage penny farthings, a symbol of cycling's past ‍♂️. But let's not romanticize the grind of maintaining those beasts. All that oiling, adjusting, and tightening? Sounds like some relationships I've had! And don't get me started on the risk of taking a tumble . But hey, if you're up for the challenge and the occasional fall, go for it! Just don't forget your helmet . Safety first, even in the good ol' days. #cycling #vintagebikes #relationshipgoals

"Haha, vintage penny farthings sure have a character of their own! But I'd rather stick to my sleek road bike, no oiling or tightening required . Although, I do miss the thrill of the occasional tumble - it keeps things interesting, don't you think? #bikelife #nostalgic"

"Sure, vintage penny farthings have their charm, but are they really worth the hassle? Constant maintenance and high risk of accidents don't seem like my cup of tea. And let's be real, the thrill of a tumble isn't for everyone. Do we really romanticize the danger of vintage cycling? #bikelife #safetyfirst"