Looking for a crappy weather / training bike for under $1300. Help!

Spicy McHaggis

Aug 22, 2010
Would like to hear your thoughts on a few bikes for use as "crappy weather" bikes.

First though, my situation which presents a few "unique" challenges. I live on Kodiak Island, Alaska. There is one bike shop here - he carries mostly Specialized but also some Ibis stuff. I'm pretty sure he can order anything, so that is good for me. Shipping costs up here (a la ebay, etc) is in the order of $150-200 per bike, so buying online doesn’t seem to be that good of an idea. Craigslist finds are few and far between.

I currently have 2 road bikes...both fair weather bikes. One is a Joe Bringheli made frame with Campy components (I built the frame with Joe who was teaching me). The other is my (originally my dads) 1966 Schwinn Paramount. Both bikes are unique enough to me that they don't get ridden in crappy weather.

Speaking of crappy weather...we got it. 70" of rain each year (sorry Pacific NW, you guys are a desert to me!!), rough paved roads (although with as much rock chips they throw down in the wintertime, might as well be rock roads!). Needless to say, my Bringheli and Paramount don't see much use. I've been riding since the mid 80s when I was a Cat III road racer.

I am now looking for a bike for longer rides - not races. Mainly as a training bike I can ride without worrying about it being too unique. I'm 6'4" tall and weigh about 230# (and dropping). I’m wary of anything less than Shimano Sora. I’ve been a Campy rider my entire life, and I admittedly don’t know much about the lower end Shimano stuff. Even though this is a sloppy weather trainer bike, I don’t necessarily want the lowest end components.

There is NO wiggle room on the budgeted amount of $1300. I have everything else I need (pedals, helmet, clothing, shoes, etc) so I don’t need to budget for “extras”.

A few bikes I am considering (assuming my dealer can get them).

Bianchi Via Nirone 7
Bianchi Imola
Specialized Secteur
Specialized Allez

And…???
Anything else you guys/gals can suggest I appreciate!
Thanks
Andy

If your roads are that bad have you considered a Cross bike? Bigger tires might do you well :)

A friend of mine rides the Via Narone AluCarbon frame (Aluminum front triangle, Carbon seat stays) - he loves it.

I tried the Secteur and liked the geometry over the Allez, but I ended up with a Felt Z85. Like the feel better, and cheaper than the equivalent Specialized. I've put about 1500 miles on it and still love it :) I recommend the Felt bikes if you can get them.

Originally Posted by ccallana .

If your roads are that bad have you considered a Cross bike? ..

+1 on a cyclocross bike, look for a mid priced alloy frame that has water bottle mounts and fender eyelets. Mount up big road tires or fine tread cyclocross tires. The Specialized Tricross series has some nice offerings, other candidates would be the Redline Conquest, Fuji Cross Comp or the Scott CrossComp or others in that price range.

I ride my cross bike on roads all the time either with full cyclocross knobbies or with road tires and either way it's fast, comfortable and a great bike for any weather conditions. I've commuted on it, done a ton of training on it, raced cyclocross, and ridden full century rides on it and it performs fine in the widest set of conditions of any bike I own.

-Dave

Thanks guys. Ended up getting last years Specialized Tricross Sport for $1k. DARN happy with it so far!!