Looking for a girl's bike frame

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Plodder, Mar 8, 2006.

  1. Plodder

    Plodder Guest

    My partner has a groin injury that makes it very difficult for her to get on
    and off her bikes. She has to lay the bike on the ground and step on and
    off. She has an old Trek MTB with panniers intended for shopping but she's
    unable to use it so i'm looking for a women's MTB frame to swap the TREK
    parts on to. Gotta be cheap!

    I'm in Roleystone, WA. Anyone got anything I can buy cheap or, better yet,
    scrounge? I'll even go for a whole bike and swap parts between the two bikes
    as needed. Can swap some parts (I have all sorts of bits in the shed) for a
    bike/frame if that suits.

    Her ladyship is in a great deal of pain (waiting for an MRI - 3 months to
    go) a lot of the time which makes it hard to get her riding. She enjoys a
    spin but getting started is a battle. We reckon a girl's bike will help...

    Email off list...

    Cheers,

    --
    Frank
    [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. On Thu, 9 Mar 2006 07:03:58 +0800, "Plodder" <[email protected] (remove DAKS to reply)>
    wrote:

    > My partner has a groin injury that makes it very difficult for her to get on
    > and off her bikes. She has to lay the bike on the ground and step on and
    > off. She has an old Trek MTB with panniers intended for shopping but she's
    > unable to use it so i'm looking for a women's MTB frame to swap the TREK
    > parts on to. Gotta be cheap!

    Ever have council cleanups near your place? Around my place (Sydney) there would be 15-20 bikes of
    all types chucked out in nearby streets every 6 months. Most have perfect frames.

    > I'm in Roleystone, WA. Anyone got anything I can buy cheap or, better yet,
    > scrounge? I'll even go for a whole bike and swap parts between the two bikes
    > as needed. Can swap some parts (I have all sorts of bits in the shed) for a
    > bike/frame if that suits.
    >
    > Her ladyship is in a great deal of pain (waiting for an MRI - 3 months to
    > go) a lot of the time which makes it hard to get her riding. She enjoys a
    > spin but getting started is a battle. We reckon a girl's bike will help...

    Medical care sucks in Australia if you rely on Medicare. ;-(

  3. Plodder

    Plodder Guest

    --
    Frank
    [email protected]
    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Thu, 9 Mar 2006 07:03:58 +0800, "Plodder" <[email protected]

    (remove DAKS to reply)>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > My partner has a groin injury that makes it very difficult for her to

    get on
    > > and off her bikes. She has to lay the bike on the ground and step on and
    > > off. She has an old Trek MTB with panniers intended for shopping but

    she's
    > > unable to use it so i'm looking for a women's MTB frame to swap the TREK
    > > parts on to. Gotta be cheap!

    > Ever have council cleanups near your place? Around my place (Sydney)

    there would be 15-20 bikes of
    > all types chucked out in nearby streets every 6 months. Most have perfect

    frames.

    > > I'm in Roleystone, WA. Anyone got anything I can buy cheap or, better

    yet,
    > > scrounge? I'll even go for a whole bike and swap parts between the two

    bikes
    > > as needed. Can swap some parts (I have all sorts of bits in the shed)

    for a
    > > bike/frame if that suits.
    > >
    > > Her ladyship is in a great deal of pain (waiting for an MRI - 3 months

    > > go) a lot of the time which makes it hard to get her riding. She enjoys

    > > spin but getting started is a battle. We reckon a girl's bike will

    help...

    > Medical care sucks in Australia if you rely on Medicare. ;-(

    Been scouting the hard rubbish pickups but have come up blank so far. Lots
    of bikes but no decent girl's bike frames.

    Dead right about Medicare. She called for an appointment as was told
    September as a Medicare patient. She then mentioned she has private cover
    and (surprise, surprise!) there's an appointment in June. We'll turn up in
    June and use Medicare - I'll be arguing for her (I'm better at it than she
    is!) that she said she has private cover; she didn't say she was going to
    use it :)

    Rotten seeing someone in so much pain and having to wait for so long to get
    treatment. And that's one of the 'best in the world' is it?

    me

  4. Theo Bekkers

    Theo Bekkers Guest

    Plodder wrote:

    > Dead right about Medicare. She called for an appointment as was told
    > September as a Medicare patient. She then mentioned she has private
    > cover and (surprise, surprise!) there's an appointment in June. We'll
    > turn up in June and use Medicare - I'll be arguing for her (I'm
    > better at it than she is!) that she said she has private cover; she
    > didn't say she was going to use it :)
    >
    > Rotten seeing someone in so much pain and having to wait for so long
    > to get treatment. And that's one of the 'best in the world' is it?

    Go for it. My mother in law won't mind getting further back in the queue for
    her hip. She'd be a private patient if she wasn't on an old age pension
    living in subsidised Gov't housing. She gets by fine with what the Gov't
    doles out and my wife sneaks her when she thinks I'm not looking.

    I own two electric lift chairs and one aged person's three wheel scooter.
    None of those are at my house.

    Theo