Looking For A Good Tour Bike

cyclingchica

Apr 9, 2010
Hello, I'm just starting out in the bicycle world and I'd like to start bicycle touring - I don't want to spend more than $500. Can anybody recommend a good tour bike for this price range?? Thanks!

How far are you planning to go on your tours?

Will you be riding for a week or less on a tour, or will you be riding for over a month at a time?

I'm going to be working in the mountains over the summer, so I'll just be riding about 160 km (80 km one way) once every week to get stuff in town. But I would also like to eventually do a cross-Canada trip in a few summers.

You may be a bit limited on what you'll find for $500 in a new touring bike, but you might find a used bike that would be very good.

You also need to keep in mind that you'll need other equipment, gear, clothes, etc for riding long distances, and that stuff isn't cheap.

I'm not trying to be negative, but I don't want you to get sticker shock when you start shopping around. Also, you don't have to buy everything at once...you can get the most important things first, then pick up other stuff over time.

I would recommend that you spend some time in the bike shops where you live, not to buy, but just to see what brands of touring bikes that they carry. There's nothing wrong in telling the salesperson that you are just starting to shop for a bicycle and that you have no intention of buying one today, but if they would be kind enough to show you what they have you will certainly keep them in mind when you are ready to make a purchase.

This will also give you a good idea about how friendly and helpful the people are that work at the different bike shops. You'll probably be taking your bike back there every once in a while for maintenance, so it helps if they are nice people that you trust and like.

There's several companies that make good bikes ( Trek, Cannondale, Giant, Felt, etc.), so it would be helpful to know what your bike shops have available locally.

Once you know what brands they carry, you could post that info on here and I think you'll get some good feedback.

Have fun shopping!

I would look for a good condition used touring bike like a Trek 520. These are the work horses of the touring crowd, more touring folk ride these then any other single manufacture. I chose the Mercian because I like artsy looking lugged bikes, and my budget was higher then $500 but lower then $4,500+ for a Rivendell. There are many good brands of touring bikes, you just have to pick one that meets your requirements. But I think used wise there would be more Trek 520's then any other because of the sheer numbers sold.

Thanks for the advice! I've been keeping my eyes out for a used Trek but nothing so far. I have a Pro Tour 200 right now but it is only a 5-speed, so I'd like something a little more substantial. I may be looking at a used Raleigh 18-speed tonight, it's $120. While this sounds better than the bike I have now, would you consider this an alright bike at a good price?

cyclingchica said:
Thanks for the advice! I've been keeping my eyes out for a used Trek but nothing so far. I have a Pro Tour 200 right now but it is only a 5-speed, so I'd like something a little more substantial. I may be looking at a used Raleigh 18-speed tonight, it's $120. While this sounds better than the bike I have now, would you consider this an alright bike at a good price?

I think it will depend on the year, model, and how it is equiped to determine if is a good deal...

cyclingchica said:

What is the model and year of the Raleigh? It needs to have attachments on the forks and dropouts for panniers and fenders (brain dead tonight, can't think what those attachments are called, but they have holes that allow the small bolts for the panniers and fenders to attach to the frame). The fender issue on some touring bikes they only made enough attachments for panniers or fenders but not for both; ideally there should be two attachments on each side both on the rear dropout and front.

Also ideally it should have 3 sets of water bottle mounts, but a lot of touring bikes only have 2 like a road bike. If it only has two you can buy optional brackets to put on an extra one on the frame from a company called Minoura. Minoura makes all kinds of different mounting hardware that can allow you to mount a water bottle on the frame, saddle or handlebar etc...see: Minoura Japan ? Accessories

Also, an older true touring bike will have the shifters located on the bar ends, not on the down tube. This will help you keep the bike more stable while shifting so you don't have to take your hands of the bar of a fully loaded bike to shift. You can always have a bike with down tube shifters converted to bar end shifters.

I agree with the suggestion for a used Trek 520. I have one and love it. Durable, reliable and easy to get parts for.

Froze said:
I would look for a good condition used touring bike like a Trek 520. These are the work horses of the touring crowd, more touring folk ride these then any other single manufacture. I chose the Mercian because I like artsy looking lugged bikes, and my budget was higher then $500 but lower then $4,500+ for a Rivendell. There are many good brands of touring bikes, you just have to pick one that meets your requirements. But I think used wise there would be more Trek 520's then any other because of the sheer numbers sold.

cyclingchica said:
I'm just starting out in the bicycle world and I'd like to start bicycle touring - I don't want to spend more than $500. Can anybody recommend a good tour bike for this price range??
As a benchmark to compare OTHER bikes to, track down the JAMIS CODA ...

The base model retails for $550US ... although it is a Flat Bar bike, you can certainly install DROP bars & appropriate shifters (I recommend Campagnolo, particularly for touring -- Campagnolo shifters can be indexed to & used with Shimano derailleurs).