Looking for a new bike

ken in michigan

Sep 13, 2003
I want to jump to a serious road bike in the 1500.00 range, new or used. I have looked at everything from used Litespeeds, to new Cannondale's to Leader Bike Ultegra kits. I've been to the local bike shops and am currently bidding on a few bikes on eBay.
I'm over 40, but recently a very active rec road cyclist. I do an average of 150 miles a week in decent weather and completed a century a few weeks ago.
Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks,

Ken in Michigan

I have spent 8 years on Litespeeds and would buy another if I needed any more bikes! I upgraded my 1995 Catalyst with titanium seatpost and stem and an Easton bar. The ride is smooth as butter and even with other 1995 era components it is sub 20 lbs. Titanium never seems to die, but if you are over 200lbs.....you might need something stiffer.
Happy hunting, Emery

If you live close to Dearborn, MI, go to the bikesportmichigan.com store and gain as much knowledge as you can sponge up before you do anything. These guys know their stuff.

Also, although very very good bikes, Trek, Cannondale, Giant, Litespeed, Cervelo, and especially Colnago have high brand premiums because of their well-known names, which means you pay more for their bikes.

On that note, definitely check out Jamis ( I'm biased here), Fuji, and Felt bikes. These are all great quality in less common names giving the best value for your buck.

I paid $1500 for my Jamis Comet with all Ultegra and Kyserium Elites. The same level in a Trek (the 2300) would have cost me $1900 at the same store.

PS Lemond and Klien are both made by Trek, but don't carry the more famous Trek name.

Here is the bikesport site I mentioned:
http://bikesportmichigan.com/

There's a sweet Coppi Aluminum Galaxy that was on e-bay for sale. (it didn't sell, probably will be relisted soon) Starting bid $1100.00. Sweet bike. 60cm. I don't know what size you need. Had Ultegra triple 9 speed, Rolf wheels and carbon fork and seat post. Sweet ride with less then 100 miles on bike! Buy it now price of $1800.00 I beleive. You couldn't build that bike for that. Good luck.......

im looking for a bike as well but im smaller (5"11 170) and im having a hard time understanding it all...some people swear by steel and like how it is lively and smooth. while technology gives special fibers once reserved for formula 1 race cars. where is the advantage on a steel bike, or is it just stubborness from people who want to keep tradition? thanks