Looking for a new (moustache?) handlebar

Chris Hansen

Guest
Hello,

Anyone use moustache handlebars?

On my Schwinn LeTour the top positions on the handlebar
seems fine but the drops seem a little low. It feels like if
the drops were a little higher and a little farther forward
it would be more comfortable. The handlebar is too narrow
for me so I was thinking of replacing it and am toying with
the idea of a moustache bar. I'd use the bike mostly for
commuting.

Thanks.

On 16 Mar 2004 04:05:34 -0800, [email protected] (Chris
Hansen) wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Anyone use moustache handlebars?
>
>On my Schwinn LeTour the top positions on the handlebar
>seems fine but the drops seem a little low. It feels like
>if the drops were a little higher and a little farther
>forward it would be more comfortable. The handlebar is too
>narrow for me so I was thinking of replacing it and am
>toying with the idea of a moustache bar. I'd use the bike
>mostly for commuting.
>
>Thanks.

A couple of links-

http://www.stanford.edu/~dru/moustache.html

A review of the XO-1 with some negative comments on the bars
(4th page)-

http://unr.edu/homepage/addison/bstoneXO11992.pdf

Chris Hansen wrote:

> Anyone use moustache handlebars?

> On my Schwinn LeTour the top positions on the handlebar
> seems fine but the drops seem a little low. It feels like
> if the drops were a little higher and a little farther
> forward it would be more comfortable. The handlebar is too
> narrow for me so I was thinking of replacing it and am
> toying with the idea of a moustache bar. I'd use the bike
> mostly for commuting.

Moustache bars may be a good solution for you then. Some
people like them, some don't. It's all a matter of personal
preference. If you can imagine where your hands would be
while riding, and moustache bars seem like they might be
right for you, then it's worth giving them a try.

Ritchey has a new, short-reach, shallow-drop bar you might
like too. Also consider Nitto Dirt Drops.

Another alternative are the old multi-position mountain bike
bars, such as the Scott AT-4.

Matt O.

[email protected] (Chris Hansen) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Hello,
>
> Anyone use moustache handlebars?
>
> On my Schwinn LeTour the top positions on the handlebar
> seems fine but the drops seem a little low. It feels like
> if the drops were a little higher and a little farther
> forward it would be more comfortable. The handlebar is too
> narrow for me so I was thinking of replacing it and am
> toying with the idea of a moustache bar. I'd use the bike
> mostly for commuting.
>
> Thanks.

Personally I like the moustache bar; I find it alot more
comfortable than a flat bar on mountain bikes. I think
moustache bars fall under one of those things that you
either love or hate. I was fortunate that my LBS actually
had a bike equiped with them so I could try them out
(actually it was the store manager's bike, but he was
gracious enough to let me try it).

--
Bill

I have a four year old one right under my nose.

Wait, that's a handlebar moustache... :-3)

"May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear
for the hills!"

Chris'Z Corner http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

"Chris Hansen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello,
>
> Anyone use moustache handlebars?
>
> On my Schwinn LeTour the top positions on the handlebar
> seems fine but the drops seem a little low. It feels like
> if the drops were a little higher and a little farther
> forward it would be more comfortable. The handlebar is too
> narrow for me so I was thinking of replacing it and am
> toying with the idea of a moustache bar. I'd use the bike
> mostly for commuting.

Still available from Rivendell Bicycle Works.

http://rivendellbicycles.com/webalog/handlebars_stems_tape/-
16027.html

Out of stock right now but they come in regularly.