Looking for a new (moustache?) handlebar

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Chris Hansen, Mar 16, 2004.

  1. Chris Hansen

    Chris Hansen Guest

    Hello,

    Anyone use moustache handlebars?

    On my Schwinn LeTour the top positions on the handlebar
    seems fine but the drops seem a little low. It feels like if
    the drops were a little higher and a little farther forward
    it would be more comfortable. The handlebar is too narrow
    for me so I was thinking of replacing it and am toying with
    the idea of a moustache bar. I'd use the bike mostly for
    commuting.

    Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. Dan Daniel

    Dan Daniel Guest

    On 16 Mar 2004 04:05:34 -0800, [email protected] (Chris
    Hansen) wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >Anyone use moustache handlebars?
    >
    >On my Schwinn LeTour the top positions on the handlebar
    >seems fine but the drops seem a little low. It feels like
    >if the drops were a little higher and a little farther
    >forward it would be more comfortable. The handlebar is too
    >narrow for me so I was thinking of replacing it and am
    >toying with the idea of a moustache bar. I'd use the bike
    >mostly for commuting.
    >
    >Thanks.

    A couple of links-

    http://www.stanford.edu/~dru/moustache.html

    A review of the XO-1 with some negative comments on the bars
    (4th page)-

    http://unr.edu/homepage/addison/bstoneXO11992.pdf

  3. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    Chris Hansen wrote:

    > Anyone use moustache handlebars?

    > On my Schwinn LeTour the top positions on the handlebar
    > seems fine but the drops seem a little low. It feels like
    > if the drops were a little higher and a little farther
    > forward it would be more comfortable. The handlebar is too
    > narrow for me so I was thinking of replacing it and am
    > toying with the idea of a moustache bar. I'd use the bike
    > mostly for commuting.

    Moustache bars may be a good solution for you then. Some
    people like them, some don't. It's all a matter of personal
    preference. If you can imagine where your hands would be
    while riding, and moustache bars seem like they might be
    right for you, then it's worth giving them a try.

    Ritchey has a new, short-reach, shallow-drop bar you might
    like too. Also consider Nitto Dirt Drops.

    Another alternative are the old multi-position mountain bike
    bars, such as the Scott AT-4.

    Matt O.

  4. Bill McHale

    Bill McHale Guest

    [email protected] (Chris Hansen) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hello,
    >
    > Anyone use moustache handlebars?
    >
    > On my Schwinn LeTour the top positions on the handlebar
    > seems fine but the drops seem a little low. It feels like
    > if the drops were a little higher and a little farther
    > forward it would be more comfortable. The handlebar is too
    > narrow for me so I was thinking of replacing it and am
    > toying with the idea of a moustache bar. I'd use the bike
    > mostly for commuting.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Personally I like the moustache bar; I find it alot more
    comfortable than a flat bar on mountain bikes. I think
    moustache bars fall under one of those things that you
    either love or hate. I was fortunate that my LBS actually
    had a bike equiped with them so I could try them out
    (actually it was the store manager's bike, but he was
    gracious enough to let me try it).

    --
    Bill

  5. I have a four year old one right under my nose.

    Wait, that's a handlebar moustache... :-3)

    "May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear
    for the hills!"

    Chris'Z Corner http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

  6. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "Chris Hansen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hello,
    >
    > Anyone use moustache handlebars?
    >
    > On my Schwinn LeTour the top positions on the handlebar
    > seems fine but the drops seem a little low. It feels like
    > if the drops were a little higher and a little farther
    > forward it would be more comfortable. The handlebar is too
    > narrow for me so I was thinking of replacing it and am
    > toying with the idea of a moustache bar. I'd use the bike
    > mostly for commuting.

    Still available from Rivendell Bicycle Works.

    http://rivendellbicycles.com/webalog/handlebars_stems_tape/-
    16027.html

    Out of stock right now but they come in regularly.