Google were this: http://www.click-stand.com/ and something by Topeak
that's gettable from Amazon but had lousy reviews.

Anyone know of something else available locally? I'd really prefer to try
it out at the shop, than take a chance on a possibly unsuitable web
purchase. Or maybe somebody has rolled their own, and is willing to share
the design.

--
beerwolf

On 2007-08-21, beerwolf <[email protected]> wrote:
> Not a repair stand, but something lightweight I can carry on my rear rack,
> for those times when there's nothing handy to lean the bike up against. I
> do *not* want to fit a permanent stand. The only things I could find via
> Google were this: http://www.click-stand.com/ and something by Topeak
> that's gettable from Amazon but had lousy reviews.
>
> Anyone know of something else available locally? I'd really prefer to try
> it out at the shop, than take a chance on a possibly unsuitable web
> purchase. Or maybe somebody has rolled their own, and is willing to share
> the design.

If you're in Melbourne, we stock a very light display stand which lifts
the bike via the chain and seat stay. It'll fit on a rear rack easily
and holds the bike securely enough that we've use one on occassion for
quick repairs when both the proper work stands are in use.

We've also supplied a couple to bikefix and Val and Louis seem to be
quite happy with it so far.

Cheers

Joel

--
Human Powered Cycles | High quality servicing and repairs
[email protected] | Affordable second hand bikes

With a single strut like the one shown, you really need a "parking" brake.
Note the shock-cord around the brake lever in the picture. . . .

Dave

news:[email protected]...

beerwolf wrote:
> Not a repair stand, but something lightweight I can carry on my rear rack,

Eitherpick upa stick fromthe ground to prop it up, or try something like
collapsible steel/aluminium tent poles.

> for those times when there's nothing handy to lean the bike up against.

The best is those Indian style stands that indepently support the bike.

DaveH wrote:
> With a single strut like the one shown, you really need a "parking" brake.
> Note the shock-cord around the brake lever in the picture. . . .

If your postperson is like ours, you can just use the supply of red
rubber bands they continually leave as a marker trail.

"Terryc" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> DaveH wrote:
>> With a single strut like the one shown, you really need a "parking"
>> brake. Note the shock-cord around the brake lever in the picture. . . .

> If your postperson is like ours, you can just use the supply of red rubber
> bands they continually leave as a marker trail.

Now how are they meant to find their way home?

Johnno

Joel Mayes <[email protected]> wrote:

> If you're in Melbourne, we stock a very light display stand which
> lifts the bike via the chain and seat stay. It'll fit on a rear rack
> easily and holds the bike securely enough that we've use one on
> occassion for quick repairs when both the proper work stands are in
> use.
>
> We've also supplied a couple to bikefix and Val and Louis seem to be
> quite happy with it so far.

I'm in Sydney, but will be coming to Melbourne in a week or so to escape
from APEC. I'll try to drop in and check it out.

Thanks.

--
beerwolf