Looking for a road bike to train on during off-season and in between mtb rides.

rockymtb_rick

Feb 15, 2004
I want to buy a road bike to help with my mtb training but have no clue what to look for. What should I look for as far as frame geomtry and components? My two main deciding factors are price and a bike that will not cause too much back pain when I go on long rides. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.in

might be a good idea to ask this in the roadbike section...let me know what you find out!

Originally posted by kbakersjsu
might be a good idea to ask this in the roadbike section...let me know what you find out!

I did ask there, but I guess they're too busy sipping espresso in there spandex to answer a lowly mountain biker.

After talking to some decent roadies at work I’ve narrowed it down to three bikes. A Bianchi Brava $639, Marin Argenta $639, or Litespeed Vela $999. All three are 2003 closeouts.

Originally posted by rockymtb_rick
I did ask there, but I guess they're too busy sipping espresso in there spandex to answer a lowly mountain biker.

After talking to some decent roadies at work I’ve narrowed it down to three bikes. A Bianchi Brava $639, Marin Argenta $639, or Litespeed Vela $999. All three are 2003 closeouts.
You are not going to get a real answer, because you have to try them yourself and see what fits. No one else can do that for you. You'll probably be happier with at least 9 speed and usually buying the most you can afford is a bettter long term deal due to better stuff all around, than a bottom end special. That's pretty global,but so was the question. Don't get all wrapped up in geometry specs,cuz it comes down to what works best for you.