Looking for a road bike with a flat handlebar

pysays

Aug 14, 2003
I'm looking for a road bike with a flat handlebar (sometimes referred to as fitness bike). The bike should be reasonably lightweight (~9-11 kg without pedals) yet offer at least some comfort. It looks as though any other frame material than aluminium at the price ~1500 EUR/USD is quite rare (with flatbar).

Does any of the major manufacturers have steel framed, flatbar road bikes? Sure, there's a possibility to convert a dropbar solution into a flat one; although conversion would probably be quite pricey. Any suggestions? Aluminium or steel?

The reason I (think I) need a flatbar is that my left hand lacks precise coordination; lever usage on flat bar just seems more convenient - I'm not obsessed or biased. If I was able to ride a dropbar equipped bike with ease, I would certainly get one.

Secondly, I'm wondering what kind of fork would suit best for my needs? As I'm not into suspension forks, should I opt for a carbon fork? As far as I've understood, carbon forks are not just for competition level racing and also found on some quite affordable bikes.

I'd also appreciate ordinary wheels instead of those inarguably cool 16/24 spoked wheels (what it comes to durability and ease of maintenance, ordinary wheels seem better). Of course, if the bike is otherwise superb, the wheel issue shouldn't be a problem.

No need for fenders, frame lock, carriers etc.

The bottom line is that this no-nonsense bike should be rigid and performance-oriented (for 2-3 hour rides on tarmac). 105-level (or equal) componentry wouldn't hurt.

Note that Finnish price level is quite a lot higher than in... well, rest of the World - e.g. Cannondale Bad Boy costs some 1100 euros (slightly more in USD).

Have any specific recommendations?

Trek offers the 1000, 1200, 1400 and 1500 in flat bar versions. The 1000 comes with Sora 8spd, 1200 with Tiagra 9spd, 1400 with 105 9spd and 1500 with Ultegra 9spd. I'll go for the 1500. It comes with great wheels aswell.

Originally posted by Mampara
Trek offers the 1000, 1200, 1400 and 1500 in flat bar versions. The 1000 comes with Sora 8spd, 1200 with Tiagra 9spd, 1400 with 105 9spd and 1500 with Ultegra 9spd. I'll go for the 1500. It comes with great wheels aswell.

I never knew there were Trek flatbar versions except of 1000.

It looks as though the 1000 is the only imported (Finland) flatbar version. Well, it's likely to find those others from Germany and UK. Giant's FCR models also would suit my needs.

Are those C'dale Road Warriors comparable to road bikes - or hybrids? Avanti Giro is also offered in flatbar version, but the I'd like to opt for better componentry than Sora.

Originally posted by pysays
I never knew there were Trek flatbar versions except of 1000.

It looks as though the 1000 is the only imported (Finland) flatbar version. Well, it's likely to find those others from Germany and UK. Giant's FCR models also would suit my needs.

Are those C'dale Road Warriors comparable to road bikes - or hybrids? Avanti Giro is also offered in flatbar version, but the I'd like to opt for better componentry than Sora.

A friend of mine uses a Road Warrior for his road bike because he is used to MTN bikes and it is more comfortable for him. The frame is a road frame and it is basically a road bike with straight handlebars and I believe the tires are just a little bit wider than the c'dale "racing" bikes.

Matt

Originally posted by mfallon
A friend of mine uses a Road Warrior for his road bike because he is used to MTN bikes and it is more comfortable for him. The frame is a road frame and it is basically a road bike with straight handlebars and I believe the tires are just a little bit wider than the c'dale "racing" bikes.
Matt

Thanks for your posts, mfallon and Mampara. I now have several bikes to choose from, half a dozen manufacturers. I think I'll go for Giant or Cannondale.

Certainly some interesting alternatives you listed there, thanks. Scott Roadster S1 also is quite appealing as are Specialized's Sirrus models (these seem to have slightly too upright riding position - might be just my imagination). And about those wheels; as I've read some threads concerning wheels with 16/24 spokes, there shouldn't be any major durability issues (I weigh ~67 - 70 kg).

Nishiki offers some nicely built hybrids. Though in a Finnish cycling magazine it was said that true flatbar road bikes are more responsive than sporty hybrids. Knowing this for sure, of course, demands a test ride.

I won't make the final decision until next spring, so I'm still waiting for '04 models. But now I know where to start. Additional recommendations won't hurt though, so if someone has a suggestion....

I have a Fuji Royale and I like it alot. Here's what it says on Fuji's website (www.fujibikes.com). Look under the Road / Forza category.

"You get the best of both worlds. The performance of a competition road bike with the comfortable position of a hybrid. Decked with a X-Fusion lightweight frame build to hybrid geometry for more stability, Shimano Ultegra, 27 speed drivetrain with RapidFire shifting at your fingertips, Ritchey Aero wheels, integrated headset, clipless pedals for shoes that you can explore in and a look that’s sure to turn heads. It just doesn’t get any better."

Features:
X-Tra Lite X-Fusion butted aluminum frame with integrated head tube.

Fuji Carbon cross fork with 1 1/8” aluminum steerer.

Ritchey Aero Comp wheelset with DT double butted spokes and 26mm Kenda Kontender tires.

Shimano Ultegra, 27-speed drivetrain and TruVativ Elita crank, 30/42/52 chainrings.

Ritchey Comp handlebar and stem.

Originally posted by pekingese
I have a Fuji Royale and I like it alot. Here's what it says on Fuji's website (www.fujibikes.com).

"You get the best of both worlds. The performance of a competition road bike with the comfortable position of a hybrid."

Thanks, pekingese. Light frame, light bike. Worth to consider.

There's one thing that has been bothering me; most of the flatbar road bikes seem to fall in the price range of $700-1200. This seems to be the case here in Finland, too. How come? Is it that it's not sensible for manufacturers to offer more sophisticated flatbar models. Sure, there's some Ultegra here and there. But not all of the components are in the specs.

Those not-mentioned components made me think: if I want a fully 105/Ultegra equipped bike with a truly fine frame, how much should I expect the bike to cost? Realizing potential weaknesses of these budget-machines I've been asking for, would it be sensible to opt for a more expensive bike? Maybe an ordinary road bike with a dropbar, then few hundreds spent on conversion? Don't know how pricey it would be to have a vendor to build a bike from discrete components (from standard Shi & Campy componentry, with a decent frame and wheels and all).

Anyway, this flatbar-related discussion has already been helpful.

How about buying a road bike and getting the LBS to put flat bars on it?

Originally posted by byron27
How about buying a road bike and getting the LBS to put flat bars on it?

That's an option. I've thought of getting a bike with Shimano 'straight bar shifting components' but the quality is what I'm concerned about. I've ridden a bike with downtube shifters and felt comfortable with it; don't know if this is a sensible solution nowadays. What kind of shifter placements actually are possible? How about applying the shifters used on TT bikes on flatbar/bar-ends? Is it possible, does it make any sense?

Has anybody some experience about magnesium frames? Merida manufactures magnesium framed fitness bikes, T5 and T6.
T5 has SH105 gears and drivetrain, T6 is equipped with Ultegra components. Prices are ~1500eur T5 and ~1800eur T6

Merida T5

Merida T6

Originally posted by Legstrong
Has anybody some experience about magnesium frames? Merida manufactures magnesium framed fitness bikes, T5 and T6.
T5 has SH105 gears and drivetrain, T6 is equipped with Ultegra components. Prices are ~1500eur T5 and ~1800eur T6

Merida T5

Merida T6

I am also looking for a flat bar road bike and have tried the Sirrus, Avanti Blade and the Merida T3&5. Of all the bikes, the Meridas were by far the most comfortable. I did not feel cramped up on the bike like I did for the rest.

Am also considering a Fondriest Mega plus with straight bars, as I can get one at a good price, but haven had a chance to ride it yet.

What flat bar bikes are you folks rideing now?

Originally posted by alheng
I am also looking for a flat bar road bike and have tried the Sirrus, Avanti Blade and the Merida T3&5. Of all the bikes, the Meridas were by far the most comfortable. I did not feel cramped up on the bike like I did for the rest.

Am also considering a Fondriest Mega plus with straight bars, as I can get one at a good price, but haven had a chance to ride it yet.

What flat bar bikes are you folks rideing now?

I recently tested '03 C'dale Road Warrior 2000 (euro model). Beautiful bike, surprisingly comfortable. I'll postpone the purchase hoping to get the budget stretched to afford something like the mentioned bike.