looking for a set of cheap forks ( advice please)

MrW

Jun 16, 2006
I would be greatful if anyone could give me some advice...
I am looking for a cheap set of forks ( preferably not spring) for around £50 or less.
The head tube needs to be 230mm or more to fit my headset.
I am guessing i will have to go for second hand forks to get something for that price.
I noticed a set on ebay
MARZOCCHI SUPERFLYS Z2 80mm AIR

but they are described as having a small hairline crack on the crown of the left fork.
I am only using them to cycle on the road and the biggest drops i take are off high curbs. I am just unsure if the performance will be effected or if that could become a problem in the future.
Or do you know of another set of reasonably priced forks . ( i am in the uk)

thanks alot

MrW

MrW said:

I noticed a set on ebay
MARZOCCHI SUPERFLYS Z2 80mm AIR

but they are described as having a small hairline crack on the crown of the left fork.
I am only using them to cycle on the road and the biggest drops i take are off high curbs. I am just unsure if the performance will be effected or if that could become a problem in the future.
Or do you know of another set of reasonably priced forks . ( i am in the uk)

thanks alot

MrW
Small cracks tend to become bigger cracks, particularly if stressed.

I reckon the fork you mentioned is for SALVAGE whose components are meant to be cannibalized for another fork ... you should investigate a replacement crown BEFORE buying that fork.

alfeng said:
Small cracks tend to become bigger cracks, particularly if stressed.

I reckon the fork you mentioned is for SALVAGE whose components are meant to be cannibalized for another fork ... you should investigate a replacement crown BEFORE buying that fork.
ok, i dont wantto spend too much, can you recomend any other forks ?

I'd drop into some local bike shops and check out their old ones. They should have some laying around from bikes that customers upgraded.

MrW said:
ok, i dont wantto spend too much, can you recomend any other forks ?
What about a SOLID fork? If you're only curb hopping, that should suffice.

A solid fork should be between $30US & $60US + shipping on eBay depending on your timing ...

Here's one that's located in Australia:

Here's one that is in the States:

You should be able to find one that is a little more local ... shipping fees would be based on a gross weight of about 4 lbs., I would think.

The Surly is listed as retailing for $60US, so figure that to be your from-a-bike shop-cost ... less, if you can find one that is lying around because someone went with a suspension fork. That is, locate a "local" Surly dealer near you!

MrW said:
thanks for the advice.

could i get some opinions on these forks please
https://sslrelay.com/s96379727.onea...6ab0b18/shopdata/?main_url=go.shopscript?a=t4

i am looking to upgrade from a cheap pair of stock suntour forks that have a spring and no adjustment, is it worth it?

Thanks again
The RSTs look nice, but I doubt they'll be a whole lot better than what you've already got.
I reckon alfeng's right - do you really need suspension forks for street riding? Low end suspension tends to have lousy quality damping, and you'll probably find your bike rides a lot nicer with solid forks. I could do you a nice Cannondale Pepperoni fork if you're interested! No disc mounts though.
Otherwise keep looking at Ebay and eventually you'll pick up some better quality used ones for the same price as cheapo new ones. Mtbers are very fashion-led, so they tend to change their bikes and accessories like the rest of us change our shorts...

Eastway82 said:
The RSTs look nice, but I doubt they'll be a whole lot better than what you've already got.
I reckon alfeng's right - do you really need suspension forks for street riding? Low end suspension tends to have lousy quality damping, and you'll probably find your bike rides a lot nicer with solid forks. I could do you a nice Cannondale Pepperoni fork if you're interested! No disc mounts though.
Otherwise keep looking at Ebay and eventually you'll pick up some better quality used ones for the same price as cheapo new ones. Mtbers are very fashion-led, so they tend to change their bikes and accessories like the rest of us change our shorts...
thanks again for your advice.
One last question and i will stop bugging you :p

What do you think of these - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7250690028

and these
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7248546095&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

sorry i have gone against some of your advice about the non susp forks but the roads that i am on are quite bad a lot of the time and i do personally like the difference that they make.

thanks alot

MrW said:
sorry i have gone against some of your advice about the non susp forks but the roads that i am on are quite bad a lot of the time and i do personally like the difference that they make

That's what advice is for - to be ignored! Ultimately it's your choice, and you know what your specific circumstances are.
Of your two choices I'd be inclined to go for the Rock Shox. They're a proper, high end product with damping adjustment that works. The RSTs always seem to me to be a basic product with some glossy paint.
Whatever you get, make sure they'll be compatible with your existings setup - ie disc brake mounts if you need them, steerer length long enough and right size etc.

Mr W, if you have any mates going thru Perth, you are welcome to my old (new) suspension forks from my Merida, 1&1/8 threaded, 160mm. :D

gclark8 said:
Mr W, if you have any mates going thru Perth, you are welcome to my old (new) suspension forks from my Merida, 1&1/8 threaded, 160mm. :D
thanks for the offer,unfortumately i live in england and my steerer needs to be about 220mm.

I have decided to wait till i get paid at the end of the month and pay a bit ,more. ( you do seem to getmore for your money when you look at the higher prices.

thanks alot everyone