Looking for a shimao, campy threaded B/B with a 103 axle??

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Colin Campbell, Jul 23, 2004.

  1. I am looking for a shimano, campy threaded bottom bracket with a 103 axle
    for my road bike. It seems that the suppliers in Canada are not stocking this
    item. Any help would be appreciated.

    Cheers
    CC

    Tags:

  2. boudreaux

    boudreaux New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2003
    Messages:
    5,133
    colorado cyclist, excel sports, performance, supergo sell a campy chorus or record in 102. Shimano use to make a 103 DA JIS square taper not compatible with campy cranks. the Campy 102 is ISO taper and not compatible with shimano cranks. The spindle taper type has to match the cranks.

  3. Oops, now I remember that one person in the thread said he sold
    Shimano 103 BBs so maybe you shoudl contact him. It was Peter
    Chisholm of Vecchio's at
    http://www.vecchios.com.

    JT

  4. dewper-<< I am looking for a shimano, campy threaded bottom bracket with a 103
    axle
    for my road bike. >><BR><BR>

    We have 7410 BBs, NOS as well as FSA and TA in 103mm and english and Italian
    threadfing-call us..

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  5. boudreaux <[email protected]> writes:

    >Campy 102 is ISO taper and not compatible with shimano cranks. The
    >spindle taper type has to match the cranks.

    Let's discuss this because I'd like to know. Here's a quote from the
    Branford Bike website.

    Shimano and almost every major bottom bracket maker have traditionally
    used the same spindle end cross section of 12.9 mm and two degree
    taper. Campagnolo uses the same two degree taper but has a smaller
    starting cross section of 12.7 mm. A Shimano crank arm will bottom
    out on Campagnolo spindle. A Campagnolo crank arm will not draw far
    enough onto a Shimano spindle.

    This suggests that for the particular case of an old shimano crankarm
    for which you need a bottom bracket, you might be able to grind a few
    mm away from the end of a campy bottom bracket spindle. Then, the
    bolts (which thread into the spindle) should allow you to tighten the
    shimano spindle onto the campy BB, without bottoming out.

    This technique is sometimes used with worn cranks and older bottom
    brackets, so that the cranks can still be used with the original
    bottom bracket.

    The grinding solution will not be possible if the campy taper ends too
    early (e.g. if the taper is barely wide enough to allow the crank arm
    to fit). Is this true of campy bottom bracket spindles, or do shimano
    cranks have very thick crank arms, making this grinding solution
    unworkable?

    - Don Gillies
    San Diego, CA