Looking for a 'spring' tire

TheVigilante

Apr 19, 2012
I live in a part of the world where we get a lot of sand & salt spread over the roads during winter. Spring is very nearly upon us and I want to get out as soon as possible but there will be a very pronounced collection of sand and grit on the shoulders of the roads, most especially the highways. I want to throw something durable on until they get out and sweep the **** off the roads and was hoping someone could recommend something for me. I normally run 700 x 23 clinchers.

I came across Continental's 'Grand Prix 4 Season' tires and suspect those could do the trick. Thanks.

Originally Posted by TheVigilante .
....I came across Continental's 'Grand Prix 4 Season' tires and suspect those could do the trick. Thanks.
That's exactly the tire I was going to suggest. Very good for rainy Seattle and gritty sand and debris strewn shoulders but roll a bit nicer than something like Gatorskins. For a sporty and faster tire I'd suggest the green Vittoria Pave CGs but they're not quite as durable but they do roll nicely and are tougher than most fast tires.

You might also consider riding 25c tires at least in the spring if not summer as well if your frame and fork has sufficient clearance for them. You'll run them at a bit lower pressure and it's a nice ride over slightly messy and gritty roads.

-Dave

Reactions: TheVigilante
TheVigilante said:
I came across Continental's 'Grand Prix 4 Season' tires and suspect those could do the trick. Thanks.
Excellent choice.

I live in Ohio...aka "The Land of Road Grit". That, on top of crappy chip & seal roads with poor maintenance.

The best all-round clincher for durability (as far as punctures go, not necessarily rear tire wear resistance) for me has been the Vredestein Fortezza TriComp. Only rarely did it puncture. Great casing, decent rubber. Fronts wear like iron, rears wear like peanut butter. Still, they hold up great for winter and spring training.

Surprisinly, Michelin Pro Race 4's are doing almost as well for me. Not quite the puncture resistance, similar wear mileage. Put a new pair on last fall and they have rolled thru winter with no failures.

Both have very good grip on clean roads.

Check out ProBike Kit for good prices/free shipping.

Reactions: TheVigilante
Havent tried many tires but I am very happy about the specialized espoir ones. They just wont go flat, unless you go on outdoor trails... Probably not that fast but they go up to 95psi in the 700x25 wire bead version.