Looking for a Summer Bike

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Rusty Spokes, Feb 27, 2006.

  1. Rusty Spokes

    Rusty Spokes Guest

    I am looking for medium priced road bike for the Summer riding.

    Mileage to be achieved aprox 30 miles on a Saturday or Sunday in the
    Yorkshire Dales where I live.

    I have noticed a few Pinarello road bikes on e-bay in the £400 region, are
    they any good or a bit to lightweight.

    I am 6'1" and 15 stone, late fifties but do go to the gym three or 4 times a
    week and consider myself reasonably fit.

    Any tips?

    Rusty Spokes

    Tags:

  2. Eatmorepies

    Eatmorepies Guest

    "Rusty Spokes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I am looking for medium priced road bike for the Summer riding.
    >
    > Mileage to be achieved aprox 30 miles on a Saturday or Sunday in the
    > Yorkshire Dales where I live.
    >
    > I have noticed a few Pinarello road bikes on e-bay in the £400 region, are
    > they any good or a bit to lightweight.
    >
    > I am 6'1" and 15 stone, late fifties but do go to the gym three or 4 times
    > a week and consider myself reasonably fit.
    >
    > Any tips?

    I have a Dawes road bike with flat bars, maily because I like the mountain
    bike riding position. Its a something 200 and can be had for a little over
    £200 new on eBay. I paid £275 from a shop. Skinny tyres, triple front ring,
    roady brakes and handle bar gear levers. I do 20 to 30 mile road rides on
    it, which include hilly bits of Mid-Wales. Close to your age but a bit
    lighter, I don't imagine the extra 40lb would worry it. At your height look
    at the large frame.

    I used to use a vastly more expensive mountain bike frame (Pine Mountain) on
    slicks before buying the Dawes - the Dawes is better for road work.

    John

  3. Rusty Spokes

    Rusty Spokes Guest

    "Eatmorepies" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Rusty Spokes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>I am looking for medium priced road bike for the Summer riding.
    >>
    >> Mileage to be achieved aprox 30 miles on a Saturday or Sunday in the
    >> Yorkshire Dales where I live.
    >>
    >> I have noticed a few Pinarello road bikes on e-bay in the £400 region,
    >> are they any good or a bit to lightweight.
    >>
    >> I am 6'1" and 15 stone, late fifties but do go to the gym three or 4
    >> times a week and consider myself reasonably fit.
    >>
    >> Any tips?

    > I have a Dawes road bike with flat bars, maily because I like the mountain
    > bike riding position. Its a something 200 and can be had for a little over
    > £200 new on eBay. I paid £275 from a shop. Skinny tyres, triple front
    > ring, roady brakes and handle bar gear levers. I do 20 to 30 mile road
    > rides on it, which include hilly bits of Mid-Wales. Close to your age but
    > a bit lighter, I don't imagine the extra 40lb would worry it. At your
    > height look at the large frame.
    >
    > I used to use a vastly more expensive mountain bike frame (Pine Mountain)
    > on slicks before buying the Dawes - the Dawes is better for road work.
    >
    > John

    I looked on e-bay and the Dawes bikes are there for £200 but unfortunately
    45cm size.
    I will look on Google for some shop adverts.

    Rusty Spokes