Looking For A Wearable Helmet

Nonn

May 7, 2015
I just moved to a new city, and the laws require me to wear a helmet.

Are there any helmets out there that are smaller and more compact, like motorcycle helmets? I'm not a fan of those big bulky ones.

transfer9_mt-wht-red-setup_1.png

Most cycling helmets are pretty light. What I have is your typical cycling helmet with a small visor in the front, the kind you would find at any bike shop. I don't think it's bulky, so if that's what you are thinking of I don't know that there are many other options. The one pictured above looks like a serious sports helmet for intense mountain biking or even tricks. If you are just commuting, you can just get a regular one.

Hmm.. I once saw a helmet someone was wearing on a movie that looked basically like a thin layer of padding, maybe 2 cm wide? It wasn't made of plastic at all.

You can get a skate/inline helmet, they're usually cut closer to the head.
They won't offer the same degree of protection though.

What you've seen in a movie might not be the most sensible place to get information for what'll work IRL from....
Back in the days people used leather headgear that looked like a bunch of sausages forming a basket over the head. I guess ventilation was good but protection was marginal. Probably did more to avoid road rash on the scalp than protect against concussions.

Check out the Bell line of Recreational Lifestyle helmets. Something like the Intersect might be what you want. It's got the same CPSC ratings for protection as standard bike helmets, plus that cool urban hipster look.

Too bad though that you won't be cool riding it, as it appears to nave almost no ventilation. Maybe it would work for the winter season here, but I can't imagine wearing anything that hot on a ride in the hotter months May-Oct of the year.

kylerlittle said:
Best option is to go to a shop, try one on!
Exactly. Some helmets fit most head shapes. Many helmets fit better on some heads and not others. You have to try them on. Same with shoes.