Looking for advice on tires and a used bike I'm thinking of buying.

Jaylor

Dec 1, 2014
Heya fellow cyclists,

I really hope you can help me. I'm looking at buying a used bike and have some questions about it.

First of all, I'm a commuter that probably will riding at most 15 miles a day. (I will probably get into longer distance though :) But, will probably not race, well maybe.

I'm mainly curious about the tire performance on wet roads as well as how likely the tires are to get cut if I hit glass or something else.

I live in Portland Or and it gets super wet here.

The tires are 21mm and are in the mid range of softness. (I'm not sure what they are.. Monoo something I think)
I can not afford to change the wheels or tires at this time.

Beyond that, I'm curious if it's actually worth $375.

The bike is totally custom, the current owner is a racer and he's put all the parts on it himself from other bikes. It's also been tuned recently. (Again, the owner is a racer.)

Frame: Specialized Allez - Steel (Cira the 1990 or so). It's lugged instead of wielded.
Shifters and Derailleurs: Shamino 105s, they are older but look like they are in great shape.
Cranks: Dura-Ace
Tires 21mm: Not sure but again, they are Monoo or something like that. They are pretty new
Wheels: No clue but, they are also pretty new
Handle bars/Stem: No clue what they are but, the tape is in great condition. (and yellow! :)

It has full front and back fenders and can take up to a 23mm tire with the fenders and a 27 without them.

Thank ya so much.

Uh, there should be pics below but, they don't seem to be showing.

A racer with fenders and high spoke count wheels on his ride??? And seat level with the bars???

Be careful. Have someone knowledgeable check the bike out before deciding, and don't hesitate to negotiate.