Looking for advice on trailers

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Clive George, Jun 3, 2008.

  1. Clive George

    Clive George Guest

    "Werehatrack" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > A trailer whose hitch or other attachment hardware is available
    > separately would be particularly favored, as that would allow the same
    > trailer to be employed with the tandem when desired, without having to
    > move the hitch.
    >
    > Currently under consideration are Nashbar's "kid carrier" trailer and
    > their single-wheel cargo trailer, and similar designs. (I don't yet
    > know if they offer spare hitches.)
    >
    > The benefit of experience-based observations concerning these and
    > others would be appreciated.

    Bob trailers work well, and you can easily get spare skewers/nutz for other
    bikes. Wife shifts 30kg gas cylinders with it among other more normal
    shopping. With a heavy load behind my audax bike it makes it a little more
    frisky but doesn't seem to hurt the tourer and the tandem doesn't even
    notice it.

    That's the only one we've had direct experience with.

    cheers,
    clive

    Tags:

  2. On Jun 3, 12:16 pm, Werehatrack <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I'm considering the idea of building a cargo fetching bike with a
    > trailer as a means of expanding my grocery capacity via bike. In
    > addition to supplies for people, I often need to bring home a 25 pound
    > bag of cat litter and/or a large and bulky 18 pound bag of pet food,
    > neither of which fits in a front basket or on a rear rack very well.
    >
    > A trailer whose hitch or other attachment hardware is available
    > separately would be particularly favored, as that would allow the same
    > trailer to be employed with the tandem when desired, without having to
    > move the hitch.
    >
    > Currently under consideration are Nashbar's "kid carrier" trailer and
    > their single-wheel cargo trailer, and similar designs. (I don't yet
    > know if they offer spare hitches.)
    >
    > The benefit of experience-based observations concerning these and
    > others would be appreciated.

    My bike trailer experience is almost exclusively with our Bike
    Fridays. (Or are they Bikes Friday? IANAEM*)

    Bike Friday uses a standard air hose fitting fastened to the bike (see
    http://tinyurl.com/5tx8us). The quick-connect fitting on the hose
    allows pivoting and two-second no-tools removal. The hose flexes for
    turns, bumps, etc. Separate hitches are available.

    The Bike Friday trailers are manufactured by this related company:
    http://www.bikerev.com/

    We have many hundreds of miles on our Friday trailers. I've had only
    one problem, when I scraped through a narrow space and lost a cotter
    pin that held a wheel on. More secure cotter pins are available.

    The trailer tracks perfectly and doesn't seem to affect bike handling
    at all, except for being slower uphill. I've heard that trailers with
    high hitches (like seatpost attachments) sometimes affect handling.

    - Frank (*I Am Not An English Major) Krygowski

  3. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    I'm considering the idea of building a cargo fetching bike with a
    trailer as a means of expanding my grocery capacity via bike. In
    addition to supplies for people, I often need to bring home a 25 pound
    bag of cat litter and/or a large and bulky 18 pound bag of pet food,
    neither of which fits in a front basket or on a rear rack very well.

    A trailer whose hitch or other attachment hardware is available
    separately would be particularly favored, as that would allow the same
    trailer to be employed with the tandem when desired, without having to
    move the hitch.

    Currently under consideration are Nashbar's "kid carrier" trailer and
    their single-wheel cargo trailer, and similar designs. (I don't yet
    know if they offer spare hitches.)

    The benefit of experience-based observations concerning these and
    others would be appreciated.

  4. Gary Young

    Gary Young Guest

    On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 10:16:43 -0600, Werehatrack wrote:

    > I'm considering the idea of building a cargo fetching bike with a
    > trailer as a means of expanding my grocery capacity via bike. In
    > addition to supplies for people, I often need to bring home a 25 pound
    > bag of cat litter and/or a large and bulky 18 pound bag of pet food,
    > neither of which fits in a front basket or on a rear rack very well.
    >
    > A trailer whose hitch or other attachment hardware is available
    > separately would be particularly favored, as that would allow the same
    > trailer to be employed with the tandem when desired, without having to
    > move the hitch.
    >
    > Currently under consideration are Nashbar's "kid carrier" trailer and
    > their single-wheel cargo trailer, and similar designs. (I don't yet
    > know if they offer spare hitches.)

    You don't need a spare hitch with the Nashbar Kid Karrier. It clamps onto
    the left chainstay with two rubber-coated half-pipe pieces.