Looking for advice: squeaky brake

bornfree

Guest
Hi.. what is likely to be causing my front brake to make a nasty sound
when I use it?

How can I fix it?

I thought about bike oil, but the idea of oiling brake pads
doesn't seem like a good idea.

bornfree wrote:
> Hi.. what is likely to be causing my front brake to make a nasty sound
> when I use it?
>
> How can I fix it?
>
> I thought about bike oil, but the idea of oiling brake pads
> doesn't seem like a good idea.

You're right in that, oiling brake pads is a very bad idea. Some people
will tell you to adjust the angle of the pads to "toe in". But it's
even simpler than that. You have oil or some other contaminant on the
rims. Clean them off and your squeak will at least improve. Ride
through a mudpuddle, then hit the brakes, and that might be enough.

--

David L. Johnson

And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries,
and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove
mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. [1 Corinth. 13:2]

David L. Johnson writes:

>> Hi.. what is likely to be causing my front brake to make a nasty
>> sound when I use it?

>> How can I fix it?

>> I thought about bike oil, but the idea of oiling brake pads doesn't
>> seem like a good idea.

> You're right in that, oiling brake pads is a very bad idea. Some
> people will tell you to adjust the angle of the pads to "toe in".
> But it's even simpler than that. You have oil or some other
> contaminant on the rims. Clean them off and your squeak will at
> least improve. Ride through a mudpuddle, then hit the brakes, and
> that might be enough.

Let me add to that:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/brake-squeal.html

Jobst Brandt

On Nov 28, 11:39 pm, bornfree <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi.. what is likely to be causing my front brake to make a nasty sound
> when I use it?
>
> How can I fix it?
>
> I thought about bike oil, but the idea of oiling brake pads
> doesn't seem like a good idea.

A thin coat of vegetable oil or 30W conventional oil on the rim. Also
remove brake pads and wax with carnauba. Remember, swirl marks can
cause directional braking instead of omnipotent deceleration!

landotter wrote:
> On Nov 28, 11:39 pm, bornfree <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Hi.. what is likely to be causing my front brake to make a nasty sound
>> when I use it?
>>
>> How can I fix it?
>>
>> I thought about bike oil, but the idea of oiling brake pads
>> doesn't seem like a good idea.

> A thin coat of vegetable oil or 30W conventional oil on the rim. Also
> remove brake pads and wax with carnauba. Remember, swirl marks can
> cause directional braking instead of omnipotent deceleration!

I would not recommend following this advice.

--

David L. Johnson

And what if you track down these men and kill them, what if you killed
all of us? From every corner of Europe, hundreds, thousands would
rise up to take our places. Even Nazis can't kill that fast.
-- Paul Henreid (Casablanca).

On Nov 29, 12:39 am, bornfree <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi.. what is likely to be causing my front brake to make a nasty sound
> when I use it?
>
> How can I fix it?
>
> I thought about bike oil, but the idea of oiling brake pads
> doesn't seem like a good idea.

try sand paper and remove the first layer on the brake pads. they can
get "frozen" and that is a big part of that noise
carlos
www.bikingthings.com

Landotter is kidding, of course. :-3)>

- -
Compliments of:
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

If you want to E-mail me use:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

My website:
http://geocities.com/czcorner

landotter ??? wrote:
> On Nov 28, 11:39 pm, bornfree <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Hi.. what is likely to be causing my front brake to make a nasty sound
>> when I use it?
>>
>> How can I fix it?
>>
>> I thought about bike oil, but the idea of oiling brake pads
>> doesn't seem like a good idea.

> A thin coat of vegetable oil or 30W conventional oil on the rim. Also
> remove brake pads and wax with carnauba. Remember, swirl marks can
> cause directional braking instead of omnipotent deceleration!

You forgot a convenient shrubbery to run into to slow the bicycle down.
Or even better, two shrubberies, only one slightly higher so you get the
two-level effect with a little path running down the middle.

"Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter

On Dec 2, 1:56 pm, "Jay" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "It's Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...> Landotter is kidding, of course. :-3)>
>
> > - -
> > Compliments of:
> > "Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

> > If you want to E-mail me use:
> > ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

> > My website:
> >http://geocities.com/czcorner

> Landotter is, IMHO, deranged.

What do you have against hoisting people upon their own petard? Where
is your compassion, and most of all, why are you an enemy of
smooooooth braking?

On 29 Nov, 07:39, bornfree <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi.. what is likely to be causing my front brake to make a nasty sound
> when I use it?
>
> How can I fix it?
>
> I thought about bike oil, but the idea of oiling brake pads
> doesn't seem like a good idea.

you should adjust them so they are toe in, and if they are old(2 years
or so) replace them , they get hard, and they are cheap, ofcourse they
get paralel to the rim again after a while so you have to adjust them
again, or change sides when they are worn, then they are alreadt toe
in shaped.
Good luck

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 21:39:14 -0800 (PST), bornfree
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi.. what is likely to be causing my front brake to make a nasty sound
>when I use it?
>
>How can I fix it?
>
>I thought about bike oil, but the idea of oiling brake pads
>doesn't seem like a good idea.

Flakes