Looking for an ex c-dale tech in OhiO...

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

Ontheedge

I live in the Cleveland area and I need an ex (this is key) c-dale tech to take a look at my bike.
If you're out there, please respond as quick as possible. I have an old SuperV2000 with a DD50 on
the front. The fork fell out while I was riding and I ended up in shock trauma ...... bad day!

If you are currently working for a shop that services c-dale, you probably don't want to waste your
time here cause you may end up losing your job when this is through.

I am not a c-dale tech but post more information. This sounds interesting... What exactly happened,
and why will the tech lose their job?

Tim

"Tim Burgher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I am not a c-dale tech but post more information. This sounds interesting... What exactly
> happened, and why will the tech lose their job?
>
> Tim

A broken c-dale, what's so interesting bout that; it happens every day.
--
Slacker

just playing devils advocate: how often do you service your bike and how often the car?

nick

"Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]... "Tim Burgher"
<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I am not a c-dale tech but post more information. This sounds interesting... What exactly
> happened, and why will the tech lose their
job?
>
> Tim

A broken c-dale, what's so interesting bout that; it happens every day.
--
Slacker

"Nicholas & Domino" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> just playing devils advocate: how often do you service your bike and how often the car?
>
> nick

you must be new here.

penny

>
> "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]... "Tim Burgher"
> <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > I am not a c-dale tech but post more information. This sounds interesting... What exactly
> > happened, and why will the tech lose their
> job?
> >
> > Tim
>
> A broken c-dale, what's so interesting bout that; it happens every day.
> --
> Slacker

"Nicholas & Domino" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> just playing devils advocate: how often do you service your bike and how often the car?
>
> nick
>
> > I am not a c-dale tech but post more information. This sounds interesting... What exactly
> job?
> >
> > Tim
>

That's almost as many as gt, except for Shaun Bell's magical one.

JD

OnTheEdge wrote:
>
> I live in the Cleveland area and I need an ex (this is key) c-dale tech to take a look at my bike.
> If you're out there, please respond as quick as possible. I have an old SuperV2000 with a DD50 on
> the front. The fork fell out while I was riding and I ended up in shock trauma ...... bad day!
>
> If you are currently working for a shop that services c-dale, you probably don't want to waste
> your time here cause you may end up losing your job when this is through.

Do I sense a product liability lawsuit? <G>

Barry

I need this tech to tell the court what is wrong with this setup. The front end can fall out and
kill someone because of a design flaw.

"Tim Burgher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> happened, and why will the tech lose their
job?
>
> Tim

"OnTheEdge" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:D[email protected]...
> I need this tech to tell the court what is wrong with this setup. The
front
> end can fall out and kill someone because of a design flaw.

why not get one from anywhere and pay their airfare? what makes Ohio special?

penny

>
> "Tim Burgher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> job?
> >
> > Tim
> >
>

What specific design flaw are you contending exists? Unless your bike's head tube was made with
weight-reducing paper mache, I'm hard pressed to think of a situation where a properly-maintained
bike's fork would just detach itself.

Sorry to make light of your situation. Hope you are okay.

Chris

news:D[email protected]...
> I need this tech to tell the court what is wrong with this setup. The
front
> end can fall out and kill someone because of a design flaw.
>
> job?
> >
> > Tim
> >
> >

> I need this tech to tell the court what is wrong with this setup. The front end can fall out and
> kill someone because of a design flaw.
>
> job?
> >
> > Tim

Cannondale's design flaws show up well within the first year. Wonder why this one has taken so long
to show up?

Here's the low down. The Head-Shok is about the only thing that supposedly required a Cannondale
tech to work on. The tools they use were not for sale. There's a lot that goes into it, but the
short of it is that the fork unscrewed itself from the shock mechanism and it fell out on me and I
landed in shock trauma pretty messed up. Information was put out to all the techs to Loctite these
threads whenever worked on. This information never got to
me. From the factory, there is no Loctite or any other mechanism to ensure that the fork won't
seperate from the shock. There have been tech bulletins and maintenance schedules written for
the shock, but that stuff didn't exist when the bike was purchased. In fact, the documentation
that came with the bike only makes reference to lubricating the needle bearings once a year by a
C-dale tech. And yes, the bike is very well maintained. I have a couple bikes and maintain them
on a regular basis. Hope this answers some questions. I can't really go into any more depth than
what I've already said.

"Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> What specific design flaw are you contending exists? Unless your bike's head tube was made with
> weight-reducing paper mache, I'm hard pressed to think of a situation where a properly-maintained
> bike's fork would just detach itself.
>
> Sorry to make light of your situation. Hope you are okay.
>
> Chris
>
> "OnTheEdge" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:D[email protected]...
> > I need this tech to tell the court what is wrong with this setup. The
> front
> > end can fall out and kill someone because of a design flaw.
> >
> > "Tim Burgher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > I am not a c-dale tech but post more information. This sounds interesting... What exactly
> > > happened, and why will the tech lose
their
> > job?
> > >
> > > Tim
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>

haha

I know we love to give cannondale a smack 'round here, but not looking after your equipment will
cause a problem regardless. I'm not asserting that's what happened, but I'd like to know more.

nick

"penny s" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

"Nicholas & Domino" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> nick

you must be new here.

penny

>
> job?
> >
> > Tim
>
> --
> Slacker

> Here's the low down. The Head-Shok is about the only thing that supposedly required a Cannondale
> tech to work on. The tools they use were not for sale. There's a lot that goes into it, but the
> short of it is that the fork unscrewed itself from the shock mechanism and it fell out on me and I
> landed in shock trauma pretty messed up. Information was put out to all the techs to Loctite these
> threads whenever worked on. This information never got to
> me. From the factory, there is no Loctite or any other mechanism to ensure that the fork won't
> seperate from the shock. There have been tech bulletins and maintenance schedules written for
> the shock, but that stuff didn't exist when the bike was purchased. In fact, the documentation
> that came with the bike only makes reference to lubricating the needle bearings once a year by
> a C-dale tech. And yes, the bike is very well maintained. I have a couple bikes and maintain
> them on a regular basis. Hope this answers some questions. I can't really go into any more
> depth than what I've already said.

Lemme try to read between the lines here. You, not a licensed cdale tech, performed fork maintenance
and screwed up the job because you didn't possess the latest tech data. Now you need a "real"
licensed tech to certify that you're not a dumbass.

Correct (and forgive) me if I'm wrong here. And if I'm correct, you need "shock therapy" to keep
yourself from working on your own bikes.
--
Slacker

ouch - sorry to hear that story.

I always though the tools weren't available but my mechanic was more than happy to sell me one Good
luck. The only Cannondale I've broken was replaced in a week thankfully. I hope you have a happy
resolution.

nick

news:[email protected]... Here's the low down. The Head-Shok is
about the only thing that supposedly required a Cannondale tech to work on. The tools they use were
not for sale. There's a lot that goes into it, but the short of it is that the fork unscrewed itself
from the shock mechanism and it fell out on me and I landed in shock trauma pretty messed up.
Information was put out to all the techs to Loctite these threads whenever worked on. This
information never got to
me. From the factory, there is no Loctite or any other mechanism to ensure that the fork won't
seperate from the shock. There have been tech bulletins and maintenance schedules written for
the shock, but that stuff didn't exist when the bike was purchased. In fact, the documentation
that came with the bike only makes reference to lubricating the needle bearings once a year by a
C-dale tech. And yes, the bike is very well maintained. I have a couple bikes and maintain them
on a regular basis. Hope this answers some questions. I can't really go into any more depth than
what I've already said.

> What specific design flaw are you contending exists? Unless your bike's head tube was made with
> weight-reducing paper mache, I'm hard pressed to think of a situation where a properly-maintained
> bike's fork would just detach itself.
>
> Sorry to make light of your situation. Hope you are okay.
>
> Chris
>
> "OnTheEdge" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:D[email protected]...
> > I need this tech to tell the court what is wrong with this setup. The
> front
> > end can fall out and kill someone because of a design flaw.
> >
> > "Tim Burgher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > I am not a c-dale tech but post more information. This sounds interesting... What exactly
> > > happened, and why will the tech lose
their
> > job?
> > >
> > > Tim
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>

I was thinking along your lines, Slacker, but didn't feel like calling dude out and starting a war.
I'm glad you beat me to it.

I just put new shifters and cables on Sugar, and now my rear derailleur won't shift onto the largest
cog...I'm gonna sue Shimano to make up for the time it takes me to turn a limit screw.

And did he call Loctite a "mechanism" in his post? Sorry OnTheEdge, but, with the limited
description you've given us, it appears this could be your own fault.

Chris

"Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Lemme try to read between the lines here. You, not a licensed cdale tech,
performed fork maintenance and screwed up the job because
> you didn't possess the latest tech data. Now you need a "real" licensed
tech to certify that you're not a dumbass.
>
> Correct (and forgive) me if I'm wrong here. And if I'm correct, you need
"shock therapy" to keep yourself from working on your own
> bikes.
> --
> Slacker

What kind of Sugar do you have? I have the 2000 Sugar 3 and LOOOOOOVE it. It's great for xc but I am
currently building a bullit to go along with it so can do some big stuff without busting my bike. I
had to send in my Sugar swingarm for a replacement cause' it broke.

Anyway, how do you like your Sugar?

Tim

PS - What shock does it have for rear suspension?

Ok, let me clarify a little bit. Someone in the thread (maybe below) said that these flaws usually
show up within a year. Well, this was within a year and is just now getting hot. As for the
maintenance, I never touched the front end, but did have the elastomer replaced with a C-dale spring
shortly after purchasing the bike because the elastomer was pathetic. Unfortunately, the "tech-tip"
about loctiting the threads on the other end wasn't out yet. I'm not one to sue anyone due to my own
screw-ups. I am married with 3 kids and I almost lost my life that day because of a lack thought to
put loctite on some threads out of the factory (which, at a minimum, should have been done). I
remember waking up in the hospital and hearing that I was in an accident on my bike. I was just
about in tears because I thought I was either riding too crazy or negligent in some way. I thought
if this was the case, I would have to quit the sport (which is why I was almost in tears). After I
found out what had happened, I was furious and you should be able to understand why at this point.
That's my story and I really can't take any more time than I have already. My efforts are now on
finding someone that can look at my bike. Thanx for the time..........

> I was thinking along your lines, Slacker, but didn't feel like calling
dude
> out and starting a war. I'm glad you beat me to it.
>
> I just put new shifters and cables on Sugar, and now my rear derailleur won't shift onto the
> largest cog...I'm gonna sue Shimano to make up for
the
> time it takes me to turn a limit screw.
>
> And did he call Loctite a "mechanism" in his post? Sorry OnTheEdge, but, with the limited
> description you've given us, it appears this could be
your
> own fault.
>
> Chris
>
> > Lemme try to read between the lines here. You, not a licensed cdale
tech,
> performed fork maintenance and screwed up the job because
> > you didn't possess the latest tech data. Now you need a "real" licensed
> tech to certify that you're not a dumbass.
> >
> > Correct (and forgive) me if I'm wrong here. And if I'm correct, you
need
> "shock therapy" to keep yourself from working on your own
> > bikes.
> > --
> > Slacker
> >
> >
>

Tim Burgher wrote:
> What kind of Sugar do you have? I have the 2000 Sugar 3 and LOOOOOOVE it. It's great for xc but I
> am currently building a bullit to go along with it so can do some big stuff without busting my
> bike. I had to send in my Sugar swingarm for a replacement cause' it broke.

Can we have a quick count here - how many here /haven'nt/ broken a GF Sugar?

--
a.m-b FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/ambfaq.htm

b.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

> Ok, let me clarify a little bit. Someone in the thread (maybe below) said that these flaws usually
> show up within a year. Well, this was within a year and is just now getting hot.

I made that comment, however you did say "I have an old SuperV2000 with a DD50 on the front. The
fork fell out while I was riding and I ended up in shock trauma ...... bad day!"

How new is an "old SuperV"?

I've worked as a mechanic at a shop that sold C-Dales. The shop closed this fall. The head tech is
still around. Give me some more info such as bike year, how long you've owned it, bought new or
used. We are in Pa. 101 miles from the Ohio line. If you want to take it to email, let me know and
I'll give you a valid address.

Status
Not open for further replies.