Looking for an improved seat bag for a P-38

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Cletus Lee, May 28, 2003.

  1. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    I've used the LCD seat bag and variations on that theme. On my Medium seat, the bag droops onto the
    wheel and generally is just too tall. I want a bag that would fit between the top of the seat and
    the horizontal seat support the mounts to the seat stays. I am thinking that a seat bag like the
    RANS Aero Bag or the Radical seat bag might work better. Does anyone know what the height is on
    these bags and opinions on whether one or the other might work on a Lightning.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

    Tags:

  2. Bob

    Bob Guest

    I have owned a P38 for a couple of years now. I even tried a Bachetta and didn't like it. I couldn't
    get it dialed in for me. Any way not to bad mouth Bachetta as I think they are great bikes but it
    came with the RANS Aero bag. I liked the looks of the bag and the color (bright yellow) so I decided
    to mount it on the P38. It is just snug enough that it stays in position with no problems. It is
    snug enough that it makes it a little hard to take it on and off all the time so I just leave it on.
    When I sold my Strada, the Lightning bag went with it and I kept the RANS bag. For my use, the RANS
    bag is the way to go. Very roomy and holds it's shape well. I don't know how tall it is but I think
    they have the info on the RANS site. If you need me to measure it, let me know and I'll do it
    tonight when I get home. Good luck....Bob

  3. Somebody just listed a slightly used yellow RANS briefcase type bag for sale. You might check the
    usual for sale websites. Also I think RANs is closing out some blems. Good luck.

    --
    Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush "Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have owned a P38 for a couple of years now. I even tried a Bachetta and didn't like it. I
    > couldn't get it dialed in for me. Any way not to bad mouth Bachetta as I think they are great
    > bikes but it came with the RANS Aero bag. I liked the looks of the bag and the color (bright
    > yellow) so I decided to mount it on the P38. It is just snug enough that it stays in position with
    > no problems. It is snug enough that it makes it a little hard to take it on and off all the time
    > so I just leave it on. When I sold my Strada, the Lightning bag went with it and I kept the RANS
    > bag. For my use, the RANS bag is the way to go. Very roomy and holds it's shape well. I don't know
    > how tall it is but I think they have the info on the RANS site. If you need me to measure it, let
    > me know and I'll do it tonight when I get home. Good luck....Bob

  4. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > Somebody just listed a slightly used yellow RANS briefcase type bag for sale. You might check the
    > usual for sale websites. Also I think RANs is closing out some blems. Good luck.

    I have a slightly used RANS yellow briefcase bag. It is too tall. I also have a _very_ used RANS
    Yellow Briefcase bag. Maybe I should offer them for sale?

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  5. bentcruiser

    bentcruiser New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2003
    The different Radical bags are listed with sizes here: http://www.radicaldesign.nl/en/allfa_top_bags.html#specs

    As far as they are concerned, I used a Radical bag on my BikeE. It was a fabulous design. It was cavernous and held everything. It had good support to hold the bag true to form.

    The RANS bag I did check into when buying a bag for my Canto. I was told that the RANS aero bag needed a certain width on the seat and the Burley seatback did not fit the bill.

    Incidentally, I got a Lone Peak seat bag for $44 from Calhoun Cycle. It is the same one Hostel Shoppe sells for $60. It works well without being *too* big.

    See it here: http://www.calhouncycle.com/bags.html

    Derek

  6. Bob Rusch

    Bob Rusch Guest

    bentcruiser <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Cletus Lee wrote:
    > > I am thinking that a seat bag like the RANS Aero Bag or the Radical seat bag might work
    > > better. Does anyone know what the height is on these bags and opinions on whether one or the
    > > other might work on a Lightning.
    >

    > The different Radical bags are listed with sizes here:
    > http://www.radicaldesign.nl/en/allfa_top_bags.html#specs
    >
    > As far as they are concerned, I used a Radical bag on my BikeE. It was a fabulous design. It was
    > cavernous and held everything. It had good support to hold the bag true to form.
    >
    > The RANS bag I did check into when buying a bag for my Canto. I was told that the RANS aero bag
    > needed a certain width on the seat and the Burley seatback did not fit the bill.
    >
    > Incidentally, I got a Lone Peak seat bag for $44 from Calhoun Cycle. It is the same one Hostel
    > Shoppe sells for $60. It works well without being *too* big.
    >
    > See it here: http://www.calhouncycle.com/bags.html
    >
    > Derek

    I have a Lignthing P-38 and have been through a number of seat bags, rack trunks, and a set of
    paniers. All of which have either been too big or small. saw a bag called an aero trunk thats
    made by Angletech.Its 2800 cu. in. and is wedge shaped. It sildes on the back of your seat and
    has provisions for a hydration pack. Its on the expensive side. I think it would be a good all
    around pack.

  7. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    > Angletech.Its 2800 cu. in. and is wedge shaped. It sildes on the back of your seat and has
    > provisions for a hydration pack. Its on the expensive side. I think it would be a good all
    > around pack.

    2800 cu.in. is a little on the large side for me. The RANS Aero bag at 840 Cu.in. is closer to what
    I have in mind and the rigid shape is what I think I am looking for.

    The One on Calhoun Cycles site say it will fit seats up to 15 1/4" wide. I measure my Lightning seat
    at 15 1/2"????

    - Bellaire, TX USA -