Looking for an Ironman-distance Tri Bike

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.marketplace' started by gunilchung, May 5, 2004.

  1. gunilchung

    gunilchung Guest

    Hello,

    I'm in the market for a new tri-bike for my first Ironman. I'd love to
    have some recommendations from experienced riders. My requirements are:

    + LIGHT. I'm 6'2", 200 lbs (tho working to lose some weight) and the
    course is very hilly, so I'd love to have a bike that's as light
    as possible.

    + PRICE: My budget is capped at $3K, with all components included.

    + TIMELESS: I'd love to continue to ride this bike for the next 3-5
    years before I upgrade to the next one.

    The local bike shop recommended the Cervelo P3 or the Guru TriLite. The
    former is out of my price range but the TriLite looked good. Anyone
    have good/bad experiences with the Guru? Or can someone recommend a
    different tribike for a 1st-time Ironman hopeful with aspirations for
    more races to come?

    Many thanks!

    -G

  2. Chris Dorn

    Chris Dorn Guest

    Try the cervelo p2k. In your price range and one of the fastest and
    lightest tri-bikes around
    Chris
    IM USA '00
    IM FLA '02

  3. gunilchung

    gunilchung Guest

    Chris Dorn wrote:
    > Try the cervelo p2k. In your price range and one of the fastest and
    > lightest tri-bikes around Chris IM USA '00 IM FLA '02

    Hey Chris,

    Yeah, I saw the P2K at the bikeshop, and read up on it on-line. The
    folks at the bikeshop recommended the Guru TriLite over the P2K, mainly
    because of the lighter weight. But I understand that the P2K is an
    excellent bike.

    Any problems with the P2K in your experience? How is it for long-
    distances and hills?

    -G