Looking for an item to complete the "dork factor"?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Rorschandt, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Baronn1

    Baronn1 Guest

  2. Bandjhughes

    Bandjhughes Guest

    Hey, I resemble that dorky look. In addition to my headlight mounted on the bike, I bought one of
    those cheap Walmart headlights (made by Bell) and essentially strapped it to the top of my helmet.
    When it's dark I turn it on and look directly at the drivers of motor vehicles that are potentially
    crossing my path (so the not-too-bright Bell light is directed towards their eyes). That always gets
    me noticed. But yes, my wife does say "YOU LOOK LIKE A DORK"!

    Brian

    rorschandt <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > http://www.sportsmansguide.com/specialad.html?ad_id=67751
    >
    > at least it might make you visible.

  3. Cheap Bell Headlight? Mine is a Bell Headlight..imported by Pacific and made for Mongoose, very low
    cost too...but it is blinding with the 4.8V Hallogen lamp, are we talking about the same Headlamp?
    "bandjhughes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hey, I resemble that dorky look. In addition to my headlight mounted on the bike, I bought one of
    > those cheap Walmart headlights (made by Bell) and essentially strapped it to the top of my helmet.
    > When it's dark I turn it on and look directly at the drivers of motor vehicles that are
    > potentially crossing my path (so the not-too-bright Bell light is directed towards their eyes).
    > That always gets me noticed. But yes, my wife does say "YOU LOOK LIKE A DORK"!
    >
    > Brian
    >
    > rorschandt <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > http://www.sportsmansguide.com/specialad.html?ad_id=67751
    > >
    > > at least it might make you visible.

  4. Jerry Rhodes

    Jerry Rhodes Guest

  5. Brian Hughes

    Brian Hughes Guest

    I don't think so, mine is just a 2.8 Volt Halogen--steady light, no blinking--runs on 2 C cell
    batteries. I think it cost $10 or $11 at Walmart. With it strapped on, I look like a coal miner.

    bdh

    > Cheap Bell Headlight? Mine is a Bell Headlight..imported by Pacific and made for Mongoose, very
    > low cost too...but it is blinding with the 4.8V Hallogen lamp, are we talking about the same
    > Headlamp?
    > "bandjhughes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hey, I resemble that dorky look. In addition to my headlight mounted on the bike, I bought one
    > > of those cheap Walmart headlights (made by Bell) and essentially strapped it to the top of my
    > > helmet. When it's dark I turn it on and look directly at the drivers of motor vehicles that are
    > > potentially crossing my path (so the not-too-bright Bell light is directed towards their eyes).
    > > That always gets me noticed. But yes, my wife does say "YOU LOOK LIKE A DORK"!
    > >
    > > Brian

  6. Bentheadswb

    Bentheadswb Guest

    I have a 2AA Maglite with an (overdriven and regulated) 1.5 watt white LED in
    it :D Added a Kroll tailswitch to it (don't rotate the head!) and adapted it to my old helmet
    mounted light. The next trick is to get a 6 degree optic to fit in the thing so I can blind
    drivers from a longer distance.

    It looks very dorkish, but my buddies tell me not to aim the pure white beam at them. Yeah, it looks
    like a minimag but.... aim away from face! On a side note, the heat from the overdriven LED and
    current regulator board gives the batteries some heat. It stayed lit in the cold 25F temps today but
    the 18 LED flasher froze after 5 minutes and shut off. Time for lithiums for the tail light! Now to
    get a yellow shower cap.... John H N TX

  7. Geob

    Geob Guest

    > You could also wear a yellow, plastic, shower cap over your helmet, on cold days, like I do. Call
    > me Super Dork. :)

    I have an old helmet I painted to look like a beanie, and I put a propeller on top. For some odd
    reason some of my friends call me a propeller-head, so.. Anyway, it makes a gratifying fast spin as
    I zip along. And I have an Amerikan flag on the back, on a flexible pole. I have three (3) blinkies
    on the back, and two reflectors on the rear fender (yes, front & rear fenders). I have a blinkie on
    the front (green) and a reflector and a headlight, and a cyclometer, and a Bell waterbottle.. I
    ordered another EL-300 to bolt to my helmet (my 'other' helmet). I have two nice large Nashbar
    folding rear bags to haul my groceries. And I am a 'puter nerd. Is there any hope for me? I think my
    wfe and daughter only stick with for my $$... My 12-year-old's refraim (reframe?).. "Daddy! You're
    embarrassing me!". She doesn't like the way I sing out-loud while shopping in the mall.
    :-( Didn't bother her at all when she was two yrs old.

    And I wanna get some of those kewl streamers that the Schwinn Stingray had hanging from the
    handlebars on the gurls bikes. And a big ole horn. Maybe I'll try the clothespin & cardboard
    motor-sound trick too. When I get it all fixed up I'll ride it in the parade!

  8. [email protected] (GeoB) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Maybe I'll try the clothespin & cardboard motor-sound trick
    > too. When I get it all fixed up I'll ride it in the parade!

    Let us all know if you come across a VROOM motor... ;-)

    Chris Jordan Santa Cruz, Ca.

  9. Dstra999

    Dstra999 Guest

    >"dork factor"?

    Remember "dork" is just "krod" spelled backwards.

  10. John Foltz

    John Foltz Guest

  11. Bentheadswb

    Bentheadswb Guest

    I saw a guy riding a faired Tour Easy during the Hotter than Hell 100 in 99 with a very noticable
    addition. He stuffed a blow up doll between the handlebars and fairing. Talk about getting noticed!

    John H N TX

  12. Sounds a tad perverted to me (was she dressed)?..hmmm was he dressed. Maybe he had been drinking and
    she was his designated driver.
    "BentHeadSWB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I saw a guy riding a faired Tour Easy during the Hotter than Hell 100 in
    99
    > with a very noticable addition. He stuffed a blow up doll between the handlebars and fairing. Talk
    > about getting noticed!
    >
    > John H N TX

  13. R.White

    R.White Guest

  14. Dean Arthur

    Dean Arthur Guest

    rorschandt wrote:

    > http://www.sportsmansguide.com/specialad.html?ad_id=67751
    >
    > at least it might make you visible.

    I found rectangular 5-LED flasher with six flashing patterns for 4.99 at local sport shop in Jackson
    Hole, Wyoming.

    Would clip one onto parka for wanding UAL jets onto parking ramp nights and on winter evenings.
    Pilots appreciated the flashing LED pattern for making it easier to focus on my wands which are 2-D
    cell flashlights with pink translucent cone about 8-inches long.