Looking for an orthopod who knows cyclists' knees

Mark Mitchell

Guest
I had a fairly dramatic work-related knee injury a couple years ago. My
Dr at the time told me "That knee *will* have to be replaced.". In order
to get future treatment of the knee covered by worker's comp, I have to
maintain 'continuity of care", basically, get it looked at every year or
two.

It's getting to be about that time. I've moved out-of-state from my
original Dr, so I'm shopping for an orthopodic surgeon (orthopod) that
knows something about cycling in the St. Paul/Minneapolis area of MN.

I'm specifically looking for some cycling experience because I don't have
any health insurance at all, so this checkup is the only time I get to
talk to a Dr about my knee, and many of the questions I have a
cycling-related (for example "with my knee, is a fixie a bad idea?", "when
I'm mtn biking, what kind of fall injury should I be worried about?")

So, I'm looking for testimonials if you've had treatment by a local
orthopod, or any resources to shop for an orthpod.

Any ideas appreciated.

Mark

Mark,

One place to start is Dr. Jonathan Asp, at 763-520-7870. He has offices
in the north metro and west metro.

This guy did a knee replacement for my work buddy, who himself is
pretty active.

I don't know how much cycling he knows, but it's a place to start your
networking.

In article <[email protected]>, bryanska wrote:
> Mark,
>
> One place to start is Dr. Jonathan Asp, at 763-520-7870. He has offices
> in the north metro and west metro.
>
> This guy did a knee replacement for my work buddy, who himself is
> pretty active.
>
> I don't know how much cycling he knows, but it's a place to start your
> networking.

Also, if you haven't already, consider getting in touch with Erik's
or Penn Cycle -- people there might have pointers.

-- Dan

--
Dan Cosley ([email protected] * http://www.cs.umn.edu/~cosley/)
GroupLens Research Lab, Univ of MN (http://movielens.umn.edu/ * 612.624.8372)