Looking for Best Folding Bicycle Repair Stand Available (extremely heavy okay) - Any Suggestions

NYC Doc

Guest
I would like to purchase the best folding bicycle repair stand available.

As I am pretty big guy (amateur powerlifter), I do not want to sacrifice
rigidity for lightness. Many manufacturers brag about their stands being
lightweight, but this doesn't necessarily mean it's optimal for my
application. In my case, I live in a NYC apartment with a bicycle room in
the basement. I need something folding for storage, but not necessarily
lightweight. Fifty pounds would be no problem. Most manufactures are
claiming weights of 10-13 pounds. My mountain bike is fairly heavy and I am
pretty strong, so I want to manhandle the bike when necessary.

Possible Choices:

1) Park® PRS-15 Professional Race Stand $242

2) Ultimate Pro Elite Repair Stand $269

3) Performance Pro G3 Repair Stand $139

4) Pedros. Repair Stand $219

Other Suggestions???

If you don't need a full folding bike stand, another option is the
Nitto Stand, it clips the rear quick-release ends into this to support
your bicycle. Here's a picture:

http://www.jitensha.com/eng/images/stand.jpg

At $55, its substantially cheaper than any ones mentioned. I only know
of one place that sells this stand, Jitensha Studio in Berkeley, CA
(scroll down):

http://www.jitensha.com/eng/bars_e.html

I have one of these and a Wrench Force/Ultimate folding work stand.
Needless to say, I use the Nitto about 99% of the time.....

bfd wrote:
> If you don't need a full folding bike stand, another option is the
> Nitto Stand, it clips the rear quick-release ends into this to support
> your bicycle. Here's a picture:
>
> http://www.jitensha.com/eng/images/stand.jpg
>
> At $55, its substantially cheaper than any ones mentioned. I only know
> of one place that sells this stand, Jitensha Studio in Berkeley, CA
> (scroll down):
>
> http://www.jitensha.com/eng/bars_e.html
>
> I have one of these and a Wrench Force/Ultimate folding work stand.
> Needless to say, I use the Nitto about 99% of the time.....

For not much more money you can get a similar stand that will actually
allow you to ride the bike while on the stand -- any trainer. Seriously,
I use a mag trainer as a stand to do a lot of bike work, it's especially
handy for tweaking bike fit and shifting. For quick and dirty
(clean/lube), I just have a loop of rope that hangs from the ceiling
(garage) and stick the saddle nose in it.