Looking for bicycle storage ideas.

SteelRider

Jul 9, 2005
Between my wife and I, we have 7 bikes (road and mountain). We used to hang the bikes from the ceiling in the garage, but our new home has a vaulted ceiling in the garage and it will be impossible to hang them.

Anyone have any ideas on designing/making a storage rack of some sort? Either for hanging from the wall or for standing the bikes in (like the bike shops have)?

I'm not good at figuring things like this out, so I'm lookin' for help!

Thanks
Andy

I've seen wall hangers where you put the wheel in a hanger and it holds the bike. Don't know where to get them.

If you're willing to do a bit of work for a possibly very good system (hey, it's 2 in the morning, humor me), you could set up a rack (wooden with hooks) where the bikes would hang, just as if they were hanging from a ceiling. Then you would attach the rack at the top of one of the walls using hinges, and have a rope and pulley system to raise it up so it follows the ceiling. Then you could raise the bikes out of the way, then lower them via the rope when you want access. If you're really into it, you could even install an electric motor to raise and lower it for you (I don't know how feasible/practical it would be, but, hey, im just brainstorming here).

Uhhh.... so howd i do as far as coming up with a practical new invention off the top of my head at 2 in the morning (if it's a completely rediculous idea, like I'll probably wake up tomorrow morning and realize, don't be afraid to say so)?

Acually I think that idea is a pretty good one. Though electric motors may be a bit of over kill. I like to keep my projects simple. The pulley system was exactly what I was thinking.

Do a google search for vertical bike hook and several options show up.

Basically, they are desgined to suspend the bike against a wall by placing the front wheel in it.

Properly spaced, I think it is a good option for several bikes.

I don't have a garage, but I used a similar rack last year during an organized ride rest stop. and it worked quite well.

Probably not an option with exotic wheels.

JTE83 said:
I've seen wall hangers where you put the wheel in a hanger and it holds the bike. Don't know where to get them.
Yup, I have one and it works very well. This one is not the exact one I own but I doubt it works any differant. My hanger hangs about 7' from the floor. Can't knock the bike over or off the wall.
http://www.coloradocyclist.com/common/products/productdisplay2_v2.cfm?PRRFNBR=32782&CGRFNBR=142&CRPCGNBR=142&CI=1,156,142&TextMode=0

EDIT Since I bought one I have used the Generic hook, but it doesn't work as well.

gubaguba said:
Acually I think that idea is a pretty good one. Though electric motors may be a bit of over kill. I like to keep my projects simple. The pulley system was exactly what I was thinking.
Well, liooking back at it, I like my idea, but yes, the electric motors are overkill unless you have (1) time (2) a nice cushy budget and (3) a love of all things automated (like me!).