Looking for bike(and store) recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Riles

I am interested in getting in to some biking. It would mainly be on paved tracks, or roads, but
could be a little on dirt walking/biking trails. I don't forsee much more than a couple of hours
riding initially.

I have not set a price range for my purchase but was expecting to spend ~$600 give or take a $100.

What I am looking for are recommended bike stores, and also models of bikes that I can research
more, and possibly test ride.

There are a few Bike Lines in the area, as well as Exton Bikes. Does anybody have good/bad
experiences with either?

I live in the Valley Forge area of Pennsylvania.

I am 6'4 and 275lbs, with a 32" inside leg, so a very long torso. Despite the mass I am quite
active, playing soccer four times a week, dabbling in some racquetball and tennis when not
playing soccer.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Steve

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Riles) wrote:

> I am interested in getting in to some biking. It would mainly be on paved tracks, or roads, but
> could be a little on dirt walking/biking trails. I don't forsee much more than a couple of hours
> riding initially.
>
> I have not set a price range for my purchase but was expecting to spend ~$600 give or take a $100.
>
> What I am looking for are recommended bike stores, and also models of bikes that I can research
> more, and possibly test ride.
>
> There are a few Bike Lines in the area, as well as Exton Bikes. Does anybody have good/bad
> experiences with either?
>
> I live in the Valley Forge area of Pennsylvania.
>
> I am 6'4 and 275lbs, with a 32" inside leg, so a very long torso. Despite the mass I am quite
> active, playing soccer four times a week, dabbling in some racquetball and tennis when not
> playing soccer.
>
> Thanks in advance for your feedback.
>
> Steve

Whats the length of your outside leg??? hahahahahahah

Go east on US Rt 30 to Paoli just past the light at Mathews Ford. Park in the Wa Wa lot. Go to Beans
Bikes and get ³Shaun² to fit you properly for a bike.

HTH

--
³Freedom Is a Light for Which Many Have Died in Darkness³

- Tomb of the unknown - American Revolution

In addition to finding a bike that fits well, at 275 lbs it might not be a bad idea to get
36-spoke wheels.

"H. M. Leary" wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Riles) wrote:
>
> > I am interested in getting in to some biking. It would mainly be on paved tracks, or roads, but
> > could be a little on dirt walking/biking trails. I don't forsee much more than a couple of hours
> > riding initially.
> >
> > I have not set a price range for my purchase but was expecting to spend ~$600 give or take
> > a $100.
> >
> > What I am looking for are recommended bike stores, and also models of bikes that I can research
> > more, and possibly test ride.
> >
> > There are a few Bike Lines in the area, as well as Exton Bikes. Does anybody have good/bad
> > experiences with either?
> >
> > I live in the Valley Forge area of Pennsylvania.
> >
> > I am 6'4 and 275lbs, with a 32" inside leg, so a very long torso. Despite the mass I am quite
> > active, playing soccer four times a week, dabbling in some racquetball and tennis when not
> > playing soccer.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for your feedback.
> >
> > Steve
>
> Whats the length of your outside leg??? hahahahahahah
>
> Go east on US Rt 30 to Paoli just past the light at Mathews Ford. Park in the Wa Wa lot. Go to
> Beans Bikes and get ³Shaun² to fit you properly for a bike.
>
> HTH
>
> --
> ³Freedom Is a Light for Which Many Have Died in Darkness³
>
> - Tomb of the unknown - American Revolution

"Riles" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I am interested in getting in to some biking. It would mainly be on paved tracks, or roads, but
> could be a little on dirt walking/biking trails. I don't forsee much more than a couple of hours
> riding initially.

You might want to look into a cyclocross bike. Designed to take some punishment, but still
roadworthy. Suitable for dirt and mud with the right tires, and with 36-spoke wheels and fatter
tires will handle someone of your size with aplomb.
>
> I have not set a price range for my purchase but was expecting to spend ~$600 give or take a $100.

If you budget $800-900 you'll have more and better choices. Surly Crosscheck. Trek XO-1. Fuji
Cross. Etc.
>
> What I am looking for are recommended bike stores, and also models of bikes that I can research
> more, and possibly test ride.

Fitting is critical. You've been told about Bean's. I also recommend the Performance Bikes on 30
just east of 252. It may be a chain store, but it acts just like a really good local bike shop.
>
> There are a few Bike Lines in the area, as well as Exton Bikes. Does anybody have good/bad
> experiences with either?

I've never had a good experience in a Bike Line. YMMV.
>
> I live in the Valley Forge area of Pennsylvania.
>
> I am 6'4 and 275lbs, with a 32" inside leg,

Is that measurement from bone to floor? Trouser inseam isn't a useful measurement.

RichC

Bikesports of Trappe, http://www.bikesportbikes.com/main.htm which is hoping to reopen at the end of
the month has Fuji and Trek, so I am hoping to check out the suggestions. They also have a
Specialized Sirrus Elite. How does that compare to the Surly Crosscheck. Trek XO-1. Fuji Cross. I
notice that it does not have drop handlebars, like the other three mentioned.

I read the newsgroup and it seems that people are high on Shimano 105's, which the Specialized have.

Are there any other bike suggestions that people have of comparable bikes.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.