Looking for Cannondale Easy Rider owners

Jimmy Carter

Guest
Greetings,

I just sold my family into endentured servitude and purchased a Cannondale Easy Rider.

I've been eyeballing recumbents since my wrists went carpal (2001) and I even bought a 'yellowbike'
but returned it after the seat snapped and the deraileur hanger bent on the first ride.

I've tried Vision, EZ-bike, Rans, Burley and found that I liked the Cannondale the best.

So, with that said, I'm looking for OTHER Cannondale owners. Anyone willing to admit their fetish
for overpriced recumbents?

Cheers

-Jimmy [email protected]

Jimmy Carter wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I just sold my family into endentured servitude and purchased a Cannondale Easy Rider.
>
> I've been eyeballing recumbents since my wrists went carpal (2001) and I even bought a
> 'yellowbike' but returned it after the seat snapped and the deraileur hanger bent on the
> first ride.
>
> I've tried Vision, EZ-bike, Rans, Burley and found that I liked the Cannondale the best.
>
> So, with that said, I'm looking for OTHER Cannondale owners. Anyone willing to admit their fetish
> for overpriced recumbents?

Cannondale dropped the "Easy Rider" name as it was too close to the name of the company run by
Gardner Martin. It is now the (unimaginative) "Cannondale Recumbent".

I have seen a couple of Cannondale Recumbents in the wild in the Chicagoland area.

Ah, if Cannondale had only made a LWB, I wouldn't own a Tour Easy! I've got about 50 miles on one
that a buddy of mine owns. It is sooo plush.

Be sure to check the recumbent magazines and other forums online. You can search
http://www.bentrideronline.com/ for endless discussion on the Cannondale bike. Much of it you
can ignore.

and RCN and RTR have both done super-positive and enthusiastic reviews of this bike, even with a few
minor manfacturing glitches that all got fixed.

Cannondale's race and team proven mechanical designs and legendary construction are all over the
recumbent. It's a beautiful bike, to be sure. Hopefully, the company's financial problems will not
kill their recumbent's R&D.

david boise ID

"Jimmy Carter" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:1050859671.684045@yasure... <snip>

>I just sold my family into endentured servitude and purchased a Cannondale Easy Rider.
>
> So, with that said, I'm looking for OTHER Cannondale owners. Anyone
willing
> to admit their fetish for overpriced recumbents?

It's only overpriced if it sits in the garage unridden.

skip

P.S. You're not the Plains, GA Jimmy Carter I presume.

"Jimmy Carter" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:1050859671.684045@yasure...
> Greetings,
>
> I just sold my family into endentured servitude and purchased a Cannondale Easy Rider.
>
> I've been eyeballing recumbents since my wrists went carpal (2001) and I even bought a
> 'yellowbike' but returned it after the seat snapped and the deraileur hanger bent on the
> first ride.
>
> I've tried Vision, EZ-bike, Rans, Burley and found that I liked the Cannondale the best.
>
> So, with that said, I'm looking for OTHER Cannondale owners. Anyone
willing
> to admit their fetish for overpriced recumbents?
>
> Cheers
>
> -Jimmy [email protected]

Odd that you didn't like the vision, with USS its about as easy on the wrist as one can get

David,

Your sig show's your in Boise. I live the other side of Twin Falls and have to visit a doctor in
Boise soon. Could you post a couple of addresses of good bike shops that have recumbents in Boise
please? TIA!

Regards,

Skon

"David Bogie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ah, if Cannondale had only made a LWB, I wouldn't own a Tour Easy! I've got about 50 miles on one
> that a buddy of mine owns. It is sooo plush.
>
> Be sure to check the recumbent magazines and other forums online. You can search
> http://www.bentrideronline.com/ for endless discussion on the Cannondale bike. Much of it you
> can ignore.
>
> and RCN and RTR have both done super-positive and enthusiastic reviews of this bike, even with a
> few minor manfacturing glitches that all got fixed.
>
> Cannondale's race and team proven mechanical designs and legendary construction are all over the
> recumbent. It's a beautiful bike, to be sure. Hopefully, the company's financial problems will not
> kill their recumbent's R&D.
>
> david boise ID
>

> "Jimmy Carter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I just sold my family into endentured servitude and purchased a
Cannondale
> > Easy Rider.
> >
> > I've been eyeballing recumbents since my wrists went carpal (2001) and I even bought a
> > 'yellowbike' but returned it after the seat snapped and
the
> > deraileur hanger bent on the first ride.
> >
> > I've tried Vision, EZ-bike, Rans, Burley and found that I liked the Cannondale the best.
> >
> > So, with that said, I'm looking for OTHER Cannondale owners. Anyone
willing
> > to admit their fetish for overpriced recumbents?
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > -Jimmy [email protected]

Isn't it funny when people post wanting other owners of a specific recumbent, they get responses from everyone but the actual owners?

Derek

Originally posted by -Lsq]--Skonofvu
David,

Your sig show's your in Boise. I live the other side of Twin Falls and have to visit a doctor in
Boise soon. Could you post a couple of addresses of good bike shops that have recumbents in Boise
please? TIA!

Regards,

Skon

"David Bogie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ah, if Cannondale had only made a LWB, I wouldn't own a Tour Easy! I've got about 50 miles on one
> that a buddy of mine owns. It is sooo plush.
>
> Be sure to check the recumbent magazines and other forums online. You can search
> http://www.bentrideronline.com/ for endless discussion on the Cannondale bike. Much of it you
> can ignore.
>
> and RCN and RTR have both done super-positive and enthusiastic reviews of this bike, even with a
> few minor manfacturing glitches that all got fixed.
>
> Cannondale's race and team proven mechanical designs and legendary construction are all over the
> recumbent. It's a beautiful bike, to be sure. Hopefully, the company's financial problems will not
> kill their recumbent's R&D.
>
> david boise ID
>

> "Jimmy Carter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I just sold my family into endentured servitude and purchased a
Cannondale
> > Easy Rider.
> >
> > I've been eyeballing recumbents since my wrists went carpal (2001) and I even bought a
> > 'yellowbike' but returned it after the seat snapped and
the
> > deraileur hanger bent on the first ride.
> >
> > I've tried Vision, EZ-bike, Rans, Burley and found that I liked the Cannondale the best.
> >
> > So, with that said, I'm looking for OTHER Cannondale owners. Anyone
willing
> > to admit their fetish for overpriced recumbents?
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > -Jimmy [email protected]

"Jimmy Carter" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<1050859671.684045@yasure>...
> Greetings,
>
> I just sold my family into endentured servitude and purchased a Cannondale Easy Rider.
>
> I've been eyeballing recumbents since my wrists went carpal (2001) and I even bought a
> 'yellowbike' but returned it after the seat snapped and the deraileur hanger bent on the
> first ride.
>
> I've tried Vision, EZ-bike, Rans, Burley and found that I liked the Cannondale the best.
>
> So, with that said, I'm looking for OTHER Cannondale owners. Anyone willing to admit their fetish
> for overpriced recumbents?
>
> Cheers
>
> -Jimmy [email protected]

I have one. But I won't admit to a fetish for overpriced recumbents though. Because I bought it on
6/1/02 and have rode it every weekend except for maybe 2~3 weekends because of weather. My wife also
got one the same day and she rides with me. We don't put in the high miles like some of the other
posters here, but for us the milage is higher than it was with our $2,500.00 Klein road bikes that
we bought back in
95. We had those bikes about 7 years and my total milage was only about 3300 miles and my wife's
milage was only 1100. On the Cannondale Recumbent, in less than a year I'm over 1,300 miles and
the wife is closing on 1,000 miles. Just about every ride I make the comment (to myself or
anyone that will listen to me) I've never had so much fun on a bike! Anyway I don't think that
they are over priced because we ride them. If anything for us the road bikes were overpriced.
For the fun of it I made an Excel spread sheet that tracks Date, Average Speed, Distance, Time,
Maximum Speed, Odometer, Ride Location (place), and Comments. In addition to this I also track
our Average Average Speeds, Average Distance, Average Time, Total Time, Average Maximum Speed,
Cost per Mile, and Cost per Ride. It's fun to track this and watch the cost per ride and per
mile go down with each ride. Unfortunately I didn't start this until after I had 340 miles on
the bike. Anyway, good luck with the new toy and have fun!

Got mine at Christmas, it was quite a surprise. Like you, I wasn't sure I could keep riding my
regular bike due to pain (my case shoulder).

Over all I rate the bike as doing most things right. The two biggest negatives are the weight and
the tires. It is several pounds too heavy. The tires while nimble seem not to be great road tires.

Brakes, suspension? Great. Stops so well you almost need a 3-point harness. Suspension is so great
that some roads that were too rough on the old road bike are just fine on the EZ.

Manuverability is pretty darn good. It handles better than most recumbents I have driven. Low-speed
handling is marginally ok to good. High speed it is smooth as silk.

Transmission works well. It shifts the way it should. The frame bobs little when torqued.

I have found the bike slower than my old Cannondale ST400. My bet is that I can get back up to a
15-17 MPH cruise, but right now I am closer to 13-14 cruise.

Hope this helps, Nathan Gifford

"Jimmy Carter" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<1050859671.684045@yasure>...
> Greetings,
>
> I just sold my family into endentured servitude and purchased a Cannondale Easy Rider.
>
> I've been eyeballing recumbents since my wrists went carpal (2001) and I even bought a
> 'yellowbike' but returned it after the seat snapped and the deraileur hanger bent on the
> first ride.
>
> I've tried Vision, EZ-bike, Rans, Burley and found that I liked the Cannondale the best.
>
> So, with that said, I'm looking for OTHER Cannondale owners. Anyone willing to admit their fetish
> for overpriced recumbents?
>
> Cheers
>
> -Jimmy [email protected]

I believe there is one a.r.b.r'er who goes by "KellyWayneHill" who bought a Cannondale Recumbent
quite some time ago. He has posted several glowing reviews on it and stated that he had gotten to
the point where he was nearly as fast on it as his faired RANS V2! I believe he had upgraded to
faster tires...not sure what they were...something like Kenda Kwests HP's or similiar.

Good luck on your search for fellow C-Dale'ers.

Edward Wong Orlando, FL

....Odd that you didn't like the vision, with USS its about as easy on the wrist as one can get.....

I can't ride USS due to my wrist problem, so that statement is not always true.

Rocketman58

"rocketman58" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> ....Odd that you didn't like the vision, with USS its about as easy on the wrist as one can
> get.....
>
> I can't ride USS due to my wrist problem, so that statement is not always true.
>
> Rocketman58

Not meaning to dispute what you say but I can't picture any setup easier on the wrist than a USS
Vision. I never nave to have a firm grip and my arms are pretty much hanging down my side.

Cool, thanks for the responses!

So, general request for advice here:

Has anyone found a saddleback that works on the back? Has anyone rigged up something to extend off
the seat and get two saddlebags? Has anyone attached a trailer to a CDale recumbent? Has anyone
dropped their bike and bent the deraileur? Are there any CDale 'bent owners in Seattle WA on here?

Cheers

-Jimmy

"Jimmy Carter" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:1051073251.735336@yasure...
> Cool, thanks for the responses!
>
> So, general request for advice here:
>
> Has anyone found a saddleback that works on the back?

No I haven't, BUT, I have mounted my old knapsack on the back of the seat without problems. I am
also able to put a CamelBak between the seat and seat frame. Since it hold 3 litres of water I doubt
I'll run out except on the longest rides.
> Has anyone rigged up something to extend off the seat and get two
saddlebags?
> Has anyone attached a trailer to a CDale recumbent?
I think you could mount the old style Cannondale Bugger to the seat frame using PVC pipe.
> Has anyone dropped their bike and bent the deraileur? Are there any CDale 'bent owners in Seattle
> WA on here?
No, but there is one in Tickfaw, LA (pop 200)!!

Regards, Nathan Gifford

Nathan wrote:
> > Has anyone attached a trailer to a CDale recumbent?
> I think you could mount the old style Cannondale Bugger to the seat frame using PVC pipe....

Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) is brittle [1] and will shatter without warning when overloaded. I
recommend against using PVC pipe as a structural member.

[1] Depending on grade. PVC will be brittle below 50 [2] to 80 C.
[2] If it is 50 C outside when you are riding, you are likely out early in the afternoon on a sunny
day in July in the Saudi Arabian desert.