Looking for CERA : retrotesting of last Giro and Vuelta !

poulidor

Jul 31, 2006
UCI is considering to try to catch the users of CERA on last Giro and Vuelta!

From http://www.cyclismag.com/article.php?sid=4559#ancre1
L'UCI envisage d'étendre le contrôle CERA

Anne Gripper, responsable Anti dopage à l'UCI, a révélé sur Eurosport.fr que l'UCI réfléchissait à la possibilité d'étendre les contrôles complémentaires, visant à démasquer les tricheurs à la CERA, au Giro et à la Vuelta. Autant en Espagne les fraudeurs étaient avertis de la détectabilité de l'EPO troisième génération autant en Italie...
http://www.eurosport.fr/cyclisme/story_sto1722170.shtml
Le CIO souhaiterait utiliser la méthode de détection de la CERA sur des échantillons prélevés aux JO de Pékin. Sera-t-il possible que l'UCI en fasse de même pour le Giro et la Vuelta ?A.G: On y réfléchit et une décision sera bientôt prise à ce sujet. Techniquement et légalement, la chose est possible mais il faut faire attention car les échantillons pourraient perdre de leur utilité et de leur fiabilité si on traine trop.
The UCI plans to extend control CERA
Anne Gripper, Anti Doping responsible to the UCI, revealed on Eurosport.fr the ICU considering extending the inspections, to unmask cheats at CERA, Giro and the Vuelta. Both in Spain fraudsters were alerted to the detectability of EPO third generation in both Italy ...
http://www.eurosport.fr/cyclisme/story_sto1722170.shtml
The IOC would like to use the method of detection of CERA on samples collected at the Beijing Olympics. Will it be possible that the UCI to do the same for the Giro and Vuelta?

AG: It reflects and a decision will be taken. Technically and legally, it is possible but we must be careful because the samples could lose their usefulness and reliability if we are waiting too long.

Testing the Giro samples would be huge. We know Ricco would get popped yet again. Not so sure on the Vuelta, since the detectability of CERA was known by the riders. But then again, riders still get busted for testosterone, so who knows.

poulidor said:
UCI is considering to try to catch the users of CERA on last Giro and Vuelta!
Hopefully they'll do it. Will Alberto be brought down? Surely a few others in this top ten might topple:

Alberto Contador
Riccardo Riccò *
Marzio Bruseghin
Franco Pellizotti
Denis Menchov
Emanuele Sella *
Jurgen Van Den Broeck
Danilo Di Luca
Domenico Pozzovivo
Gilberto Simoni

mrfrogger said:
Hopefully they'll do it. Will Alberto be brought down? Surely a few others in this top ten might topple:

Alberto Contador
Riccardo Riccò *
Marzio Bruseghin
Franco Pellizotti
Denis Menchov
Emanuele Sella *
Jurgen Van Den Broeck
Danilo Di Luca
Domenico Pozzovivo
Gilberto Simoni

Too late. Bruyneel has already put the call through and made a payment:

Unlike the Tour de France, Giro d'Italia organizers will not re-test riders' samples from this spring's Giro d'Italia for the Continuous Erythropoiesis Receptor Activator (CERA) version of EPO.

"The Giro d'Italia has already made the necessary checks," said race director Angelo Zomegnan to the Apcom news agency on Thursday. "The labs and the UCI have told us these tests were done and nothing was found that could be taken as suspect. It's useless to ask for more (tests)."

Saunier Duval's Riccardo Ricco and his teammate Leonardo Piepoli tested positive for CERA at this summer's Tour de France. At the Giro, Ricco won two stages and finished second in the general classification. He has already been suspended by the Italian Olympic Committee (CONI) for a period of two years.

Zomegnan said the tests for CERA began during the Giro due to a partnership between a CONI anti-doping lab in Rome and the French Chatenay-Malabry lab near Paris. "To me, it seems excessive to ask for more," Zomegnan said.

whiteboytrash said:
Unlike the Tour de France, Giro d'Italia organizers will not re-test riders' samples from this spring's Giro d'Italia for the Continuous Erythropoiesis Receptor Activator (CERA) version of EPO.

"The Giro d'Italia has already made the necessary checks," said race director Angelo Zomegnan to the Apcom news agency on Thursday. "The labs and the UCI have told us these tests were done and nothing was found that could be taken as suspect. It's useless to ask for more (tests)."

Zomegnan said the tests for CERA began during the Giro due to a partnership between a CONI anti-doping lab in Rome and the French Chatenay-Malabry lab near Paris. "To me, it seems excessive to ask for more," Zomegnan said.
Somethings completely fkd up here.

Ricco was using CERA everyday at the tour acording to himself.

Ipso facto he was using it at the Giro, in order to finish on the podium. Yet these muppets claim they tested for CERA at the Giro, but didnt catch Ricco?!!!!

This is so illogical and yet nobody is pulling them up on this. OK they could be trying to brush this away, but this is so blatant. Why the hell doesnt someone challenge them?

wicklow200 said:
Somethings completely fkd up here.

Ipso facto he was using it at the Giro, in order to finish on the podium. Yet these muppets claim they tested for CERA at the Giro, but didnt catch Ricco?!!!!

This is so illogical and yet nobody is pulling them up on this. OK they could be trying to brush this away, but this is so blatant. Why the hell doesnt someone challenge them?

It does suggest that something is out of kilter as you say.
RCS need to get a handle on sort of tests were done at their race (Giro) and if there is a coverup.

limerickman said:
It does suggest that something is out of kilter as you say.
RCS need to get a handle on sort of tests were done at their race (Giro) and if there is a coverup.
They can't have Contador testing positive thou. There would way too much impact to cycling. If Astana was blown to pieces 3 months before Lance's comeback it would destroy cycling for good. The UCI will let this one slide.

whiteboytrash said:
They can't have Contador testing positive thou. There would way too much impact to cycling. If Astana was blown to pieces 3 months before Lance's comeback it would destroy cycling for good. The UCI will let this one slide.
Yeah I know, but it still shouldnt be let slide

I mean, the burning question for journalists, CONI, WADA and whoever, is why wasnt CERA detected in Riccos samples.

Were the tests conducted at all/properly? did someone manipulate the results, and if yes who?

And if the tests were done properly and results not manipulated, then what on earth prevented Ricco coming up positive?

I know pro cycling is a sham, and more so in Italy and Spain, but dont understand why someone prominent isnt asking these simple questions.

On a similar note, very glad to hear Sebastian Lang providing some believable anecdotes about Schumacher's behaviour during the tour. The more light that pours in. And very glad SS was busted.

Lets be honest, Schumachers performance at the tour was surprisingly good relative to what Ive seen before from him. Others that fall into that category were, at times, Voigt, Cancellera, Schleck snr, and Vandevelde. Add your own here...

wicklow200 said:
That sounds a bit odd - CERA has a longer half-life than EPO so you would use it less frequently rather than more frequently. Once a month is the usual dose.

matagi said:
That sounds a bit odd - CERA has a longer half-life than EPO so you would use it less frequently rather than more frequently. Once a month is the usual dose.

That is a good observation and adds to the subject matter.
(especially for the likes of me, who have no idea of "recommended" dosage requirements for CERA).

wicklow200 said:
Others that fall into that category were, at times, Voigt, Cancellera, Schleck snr, and Vandevelde. Add your own here...

Funny enough, I re-watched some footage from the 2001 TDF last night.
Stage 7 Strasbourg - Colmar, won by Laurent Jalabert with Jens finishing second riding for CA.
Voigt is a pretty consistent rider.

limerickman said:
Funny enough, I re-watched some footage from the 2001 TDF last night.
Stage 7 Strasbourg - Colmar, won by Laurent Jalabert with Jens finishing second riding for CA.
Voigt is a pretty consistent rider.
Also won Tour of Deutchland 2005-2006, worn a KOM shirt in 1998 TdF, etc, etc. Whatever is his method and juices, I still not see his performance in this years TdF particularly suspicious.

frost said:
Also won Tour of Deutchland 2005-2006, worn a KOM shirt in 1998 TdF, etc, etc. Whatever is his method and juices, I still not see his performance in this years TdF particularly suspicious.

It has been suggested here that Voigts 2008 TDF performance was somehow
much better than in previous years.
I disagree with that view - because his turns at the front, this year, were no different to the turns he put in during the TDF, and many other races, over the last decade or so.

It is worth recalling that at the 2004 TDF he practically blew the field apart on several key stages.
Look at the turn, he did during the 2006 TDF when he beat Oscar Pereiro (who was in yellow) to the stage win at Béziers/Montélimar.

Granted Voigt does the grunt work for CSC - but he did the same when he was CA.

whiteboytrash said:
And the Giro organizers aren't dumb. They've seen what happens to the Tour when there are multiple positives, especially among the top GC riders, not to mention should the overall winner pop a positive. Best not to risk all that negative attention.

Italians and Zoncolan have no bollocks! they prefer to suck Contador's and Armstrong's ****. :D

Please: to transmit to Zoncolan and Berlusconi!

Leafer said:
And the Giro organizers aren't dumb. They've seen what happens to the Tour when there are multiple positives, especially among the top GC riders, not to mention should the overall winner pop a positive. Best not to risk all that negative attention.

sorry to ask such a daft question, but does anyone remember who the last rider to be caught for doping at the giro was?

slovakguy said:
sorry to ask such a daft question, but does anyone remember who the last rider to be caught for doping at the giro was?
Sella was caught a month after the Giro this year. It was no surprises to anyone who follows cycling as he was very very good. Won 2 stages in a row too. Before him, I'm not sure. I think it was someone last year?

Grater said:
Sella was caught a month after the Giro this year. It was no surprises to anyone who follows cycling as he was very very good. Won 2 stages in a row too. Before him, I'm not sure. I think it was someone last year?

He probably meant riders who were caught IN the Giro (=during it). I don't recall anyone from the past years, but then my memory isn't that good. There have been riders like Basso who were busted after the Giro and some who were withdrawn from the race due to an earlier positive. But I don't recall a doping positive from the Giro's testers.

rdbiker is correct. i've been trying to remember the last time the giro has reported a "non-negative" during the competition. again, apologies for having been so lazy not to go digging the info up for myself.

slovakguy said:
rdbiker is correct. i've been trying to remember the last time the giro has reported a "non-negative" during the competition. again, apologies for having been so lazy not to go digging the info up for myself.
Rumsas was busted for EPO at the Giro. That was a while ago. I am not sure the results were revealed during the race. There has to be someone since then.