Looking for certain "type" of Mountain Bike race...

Dan Volker

Guest
Does anyone have some suggestions as to mountain bike races in the spring, located in Georgia, N
Carolina, S. Carolina or W Va ? More specifically, I want to find races which are more "legs and
lungs" type courses, with big downhills. This will allow my road racing girlfriend to enter the
mountain bike race and still enjoy it ( a technical course will not let her use her "road fitness"
as well as a "legs and lung" course, meaning it will be less fun for her, and less valuable for road
race cross training). And for me, I like the big downhills that some X-country courses will have,
and I want to enjoy the race as well :) Dan V

> Does anyone have some suggestions as to mountain bike races in the
spring,> located in Georgia, N Carolina, S. Carolina or W Va ?> More specifically, I want to find
races which are more "legs and lungs" type
> courses, with big downhills. This will allow my road racing girlfriend to enter the mountain bike
> race and still enjoy it ( a technical course will not let her use her "road fitness" as well as a
> "legs and lung" course, meaning it will be less fun for her, and less valuable for road race cross
> training). And for me, I like the big downhills that some X-country
courses
> will have, and I want to enjoy the race as well :) Dan V

www.Goneriding.com (may have some races in those states).

also, the bump and grind (B'ham Alabama) has some long fire-road climbs in its race, but some
technical too---17 miles for sport, 34 for expert...check out www.bump.org

>also, the bump and grind (B'ham Alabama) has some long fire-road climbs in its race, but some
>technical too---17 miles for sport, 34 for expert...check out www.bump.org

The technical section at Oak Mt (there's only one) is about 50 yards long. And even for folks who
can ride it, it's probably faster to shoulder up and run.

This would be a great race for someone who's super fit and not that great of a bike handler.

-Andrew

In news:[email protected],
Dan Volker <[email protected]> typed:
> Does anyone have some suggestions as to mountain bike races in the spring, located in Georgia, N
> Carolina, S. Carolina or W Va ? More specifically, I want to find races which are more "legs and
> lungs" type courses, with big downhills. This will allow my road racing girlfriend to enter the
> mountain bike race and still enjoy it
> ( atechnical course will not let her use her "road fitness" as well as a "legs and lung" course,
> meaning it will be less fun for her, and less valuable for road race cross training). And for
> me, I like the big downhills that some X-country courses will have, and I want to enjoy the
> race as well :) Dan V

http://www.mountainbikevirginia.com and look for the Middle Mountain Momma race at Douthat
State Park in Virginia. Lot's of climbing and not too technical. Nice camping and cabins
available to make a weekend of it. The climbs are mostly steady pitch to switchback. The long
downhills are a hoot too.

Mike

"Dan Volker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:
> Does anyone have some suggestions as to mountain bike races in the spring, located in Georgia, N
> Carolina, S. Carolina or W Va ?

try rec.bicycles.racing

JD

"Andrew Thorne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >also, the bump and grind (B'ham Alabama) has some long fire-road climbs
in
> >its race, but some technical too---17 miles for sport, 34 for
expert...check
> >out www.bump.org

> The technical section at Oak Mt (there's only one) is about 50 yards long.
And
> even for folks who can ride it, it's probably faster to shoulder up and
run.

> This would be a great race for someone who's super fit and not that great
of a
> bike handler.
>
> -Andrew

Thanks to all for the advice, except for JD and his single speed ideas ;-)

"Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In news:[email protected], Dan Volker <[email protected]> typed:
> > Does anyone have some suggestions as to mountain bike races in the spring, located in Georgia, N
> > Carolina, S. Carolina or W Va ? More specifically, I want to find races which are more "legs and
> > lungs" type courses, with big downhills. This will allow my road racing girlfriend to enter the
> > mountain bike race and still enjoy it
> > ( atechnical course will not let her use her "road fitness" as well as a "legs and lung"
> > course, meaning it will be less fun for her, and less valuable for road race cross
> > training). And for me, I like the big downhills that some X-country courses will have, and I
> > want to enjoy the race as well :) Dan V
>
> http://www.mountainbikevirginia.com and look for the Middle Mountain Momma race at Douthat State
> Park in Virginia. Lot's of climbing and not too technical. Nice camping and cabins available to
> make a weekend of it.
The
> climbs are mostly steady pitch to switchback. The long downhills are a
hoot
> too.
>
> Mike

I'll second everything Mike said. I was too slow to beat him to this one, but Douthat is exactly
what you are asking for, in my opinion. (It is only about 30 miles into Virginia from WV.) It's
far and away the least technical course in the series here, and yet has plenty of climbing in
its 21 miles. (I would say between 3500' and 4000' of climbing elevation.) If you want even more
climbing, enter the XXC course (double XC), which is 39 miles long and will give you all the
climbs you can stand, since it does all the main course, plus some more that has some nasty-
steep climbs. Winner has done it under 4 hours, no small feat considering the elevation gain
involved. The XXC is admittedly more technical on the sections that leave the park and run in
National Forest, but that might interest you even if not your friend.
--
D N I E T S Off to R the M __, D H

Reply to group. (Detestible spammers!)

"Dan Volker" <[email protected]> had this to say
news:[email protected]

> "Andrew Thorne" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:20040217093039.26428.00002478@mb-
> m07.aol.com...
>> >also, the bump and grind (B'ham Alabama) has some long fire-road climbs
> in
>> >its race, but some technical too---17 miles for sport, 34 for
> expert...check
>> >out www.bump.org

>> The technical section at Oak Mt (there's only one) is about 50 yards long.
> And
>> even for folks who can ride it, it's probably faster to shoulder up and
> run.
>>
>> This would be a great race for someone who's super fit and not that great
> of a
>> bike handler.
>>
>> -Andrew
>
> Thanks to all for the advice, except for JD and his single speed ideas ;-)

and his apostles...Damn Single Speed Cultists!

"Dan Volker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Thanks to all for the advice, except for JD and his single speed ideas

Face the fact, Dan. A singlespeed is the obvious solution to eliminating chain slap because there is
no magic device that will completely eliminate it on a geared bike, period. If you want a quiet
bike, a rigid singlespeed is the only answer, whether you like the idea or not.

JD

> "Dan Volker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Thanks to all for the advice, except for JD and his single speed ideas
>
> Face the fact, Dan. A singlespeed is the obvious solution to eliminating chain slap because there
> is no magic device that will completely eliminate it on a geared bike, period. If you want a quiet
> bike, a rigid singlespeed is the only answer, whether you like the idea or not.
>
> JD

JD, Whether I want to ride the nasty rooted trails in Florida, or the Autobahn of mountain biking
in NC ( Tsali), I would be ridiculously faster on my Liquid 25, than would my "evil twin" on a
single speeder.

If you are "lucky" enough to ride with friends who are so slow on their dual suspension bikes, that
you can keep up, or blow them off the trail with your SS, then congratulations to you. In any event,
your experiences with your friends does not apply to mine :)

Regards, Dan V

"Dan Volker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:
> "Dan Volker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > > Thanks to all for the advice, except for JD and his single speed ideas
>
> >Face the fact, Dan. A singlespeed is the obvious solution to eliminating chain slap because there
> >is no magic device that will completely eliminate it on a geared bike, period. If you want a
> >quiet bike, a rigid singlespeed is the only answer, whether you like the idea or not.
>
> >JD

> Whether I want to ride the nasty rooted trails in Florida, or the Autobahn of mountain biking in
> NC ( Tsali), I would be ridiculously faster on my Liquid 25, than would my "evil twin" on a single
> speeder.

An interesting dodge, indeed. What does your lack of bicycle handling skills have to do with a
singlespeed being obviously more quiet than a geared bike by not having a chain slap issue?

> If you are "lucky" enough to ride with friends who are so slow on their dual suspension bikes,
> that you can keep up, or blow them off the trail with your SS, then congratulations to you.

Yeah, all of my friends are fat and slow, just ask all of the people on this NG who have ridden with
slow old me and my fat friends. You're mildly amusing at best.

> In any event, your experiences with your friends does not apply to mine

And I thank God for that.

JD

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 14:52:08 -0500, Dan Volker <[email protected]> wrote:

> If you are "lucky" enough to ride with friends who are so slow on their dual suspension bikes,
> that you can keep up, or blow them off the trail with your SS, then congratulations to you. In any
> event, your experiences with your friends does not apply to mine :)
>
> Regards, Dan V

Uh, I've ridden with JD, and when we rode tweren't nobody waitin' up for the SSers...quite the
opposite I'm afraid.

Gman

Gman retorted :
> On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 14:52:08 -0500, Dan Volker <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> If you are "lucky" enough to ride with friends who are so slow on their dual suspension bikes,
>> that you can keep up, or blow them off the trail with your SS, then congratulations to you. In
>> any event, your experiences with your friends does not apply to mine :)
>>
>> Regards, Dan V
>
> Uh, I've ridden with JD, and when we rode tweren't nobody waitin' up for the SSers...quite the
> opposite I'm afraid.
>
> Gman

you are one of those slow fat guys, right?

;-)

penny

Penny S wrote:

> Gman retorted :
>
>>On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 14:52:08 -0500, Dan Volker <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>If you are "lucky" enough to ride with friends who are so slow on their dual suspension bikes,
>>>that you can keep up, or blow them off the trail with your SS, then congratulations to you. In
>>>any event, your experiences with your friends does not apply to mine :)
>>>
>>>Regards, Dan V
>>
>>Uh, I've ridden with JD, and when we rode tweren't nobody waitin' up for the SSers...quite the
>>opposite I'm afraid.
>>
>>Gman
>

> you are one of those slow fat guys, right?
>
> ;-)
>
> penny

Well there it is: "You know you're a slow, fat guy when ... you don't have to wait for JD
on his SS."

--
Craig "slow and fat" Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove ".nospam" to reply)

"Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Gman retorted :
> > On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 14:52:08 -0500, Dan Volker <[email protected]> wrote:
> >>
> >> If you are "lucky" enough to ride with friends who are so slow on their dual suspension bikes,
> >> that you can keep up, or blow them off the trail with your SS, then congratulations to you. In
> >> any event, your experiences with your friends does not apply to mine :)
> >>
> >> Regards, Dan V
> >
> > Uh, I've ridden with JD, and when we rode tweren't nobody waitin' up for the SSers...quite the
> > opposite I'm afraid.
> >
> > Gman
>
> you are one of those slow fat guys, right?
>
> ;-)
>
> penny

I was for about 6 years while I was developing my software business. Prior to that, I raced and rode
at about an 8 percent bodyfat level for about 12 years, with a body weight of 180 pounds ( I am 5
foot 8, and carry a lot of muscle from other sports I have been involved in---speed skating, GS and
downhill in skiing, kick boxing in college, lots of gym and weight training for these sports in
college and after, velodrome racing, and road racing).

While developing my business over the last 6 years, I did not have enough time to train, and put on
alot of fat--up to a peak of 235 pounds about 5 months ago. I then began intense gym workouts and
riding my mountain bike 3 to 4 days per week, along with heavy bag workouts twice per week. I'm now
down to 212, and starting to ride at "almost" competitive speeds again--my VO2 max is getting fairly
good right now, from training at 235, and then losing the weight. I will be around 180 by summer if
it kills me
:) , and I can train like this from now on.

Meanwhile, I'll keep my eyes open for fast single speeders. So far, I have never seen or heard of
any such thing in all of South or North Florida ( and I know this is not desirable mountain biking
country ;-)

Regards, Dan V

Dan Volker retorted :
> "Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Gman retorted :

>>> Uh, I've ridden with JD, and when we rode tweren't nobody waitin' up for the SSers...quite the
>>> opposite I'm afraid.
>>>
>>> Gman
>>
>> you are one of those slow fat guys, right?
>>
>> ;-)
>>
>> penny
>
> I was for about 6 years while I was developing my software business. Prior to that, I raced and
> rode at about an 8 percent bodyfat level for about 12 years, with a body weight of 180 pounds ( I
> am 5 foot 8, and carry a lot of muscle from other sports I have been involved in---speed skating,
> GS and downhill in skiing, kick boxing in college, lots of gym and weight training for these
> sports in college and after, velodrome racing, and road racing).

dude, that was humor for Gman.... http://www.cet.com/~pennys/images/gman.jpg

just another Huge Fat Slob...

ps