Looking for cheap Giro or TDF tour

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Flashsteve, Dec 19, 2003.

  1. Flashsteve

    Flashsteve Guest

    I would like to watch either the Giro or the TDF in person. Does anyone know
    of an organized group or tour that:
    (1) Is relatively inexpensive. I'm not quite sure what that means, but I'm thinking less than
    $200/day, exclusive of air fare. I don't need fancy housing or meals. I would even camp some,
    but not every night.
    (2) Caters to 'fit' riders. I would like to ride 2-4 hours every day at a pretty good clip
    (18+ mph).

    The Giro is my first choice, but I wouldn't mind seeing Lance win his 6th.

    Steve Scarich

    Tags:

  2. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    You could ride with me. I usually spend less than $100 per day, stay in modest hotals, catch a few
    stages, and ride 6 to 9 hours a day. IOW, half the cost if you plan your own trip. For the Giro it's
    not too difficult to find hotels to near the route to make reservations. For the Tour you have to
    look hard.

    -Bruce

    "FlashSteve" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    m28.aol.com...
    > I would like to watch either the Giro or the TDF in person. Does anyone
    know
    > of an organized group or tour that:
    > (1) Is relatively inexpensive. I'm not quite sure what that means, but I'm thinking less than
    > $200/day, exclusive of air fare. I don't need fancy
    housing
    > or meals. I would even camp some, but not every night.
    > (2) Caters to 'fit' riders. I would like to ride 2-4 hours every day at a pretty good clip (18+
    > mph).
    >
    > The Giro is my first choice, but I wouldn't mind seeing Lance win his 6th.
    >
    > Steve Scarich

  3. Jim Quinn

    Jim Quinn Guest

    nonstopciclismo.com = caters to racers and very fit individuals.

    "FlashSteve" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    m28.aol.com...
    > I would like to watch either the Giro or the TDF in person. Does anyone
    know
    > of an organized group or tour that:
    > (1) Is relatively inexpensive. I'm not quite sure what that means, but I'm thinking less than
    > $200/day, exclusive of air fare. I don't need fancy
    housing
    > or meals. I would even camp some, but not every night.
    > (2) Caters to 'fit' riders. I would like to ride 2-4 hours every day at a pretty good clip (18+
    > mph).
    >
    > The Giro is my first choice, but I wouldn't mind seeing Lance win his 6th.
    >
    > Steve Scarich

  4. Jan

    Jan Guest

    FlashSteve wrote:
    > I would like to watch either the Giro or the TDF in person. Does anyone know of an organized group
    > or tour that:
    > (1) Is relatively inexpensive. I'm not quite sure what that means, but I'm thinking less than
    > $200/day, exclusive of air fare. I don't need fancy housing or meals. I would even camp some,
    > but not every night. (2) Caters to 'fit' riders. I would like to ride 2-4 hours every day at a
    > pretty good clip (18+ mph).
    >
    > The Giro is my first choice, but I wouldn't mind seeing Lance win his 6th.
    >
    > Steve Scarich

    Try Graham Baxter www.sportingtours.co.uk

    Jan

    ---

  5. Phil Holman

    Phil Holman Guest

    "FlashSteve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I would like to watch either the Giro or the TDF in person. Does
    anyone know
    > of an organized group or tour that:
    > (1) Is relatively inexpensive. I'm not quite sure what that means, but
    I'm
    > thinking less than $200/day, exclusive of air fare. I don't need
    fancy housing
    > or meals. I would even camp some, but not every night.
    > (2) Caters to 'fit' riders. I would like to ride 2-4 hours every day
    at a
    > pretty good clip (18+ mph).
    >
    > The Giro is my first choice, but I wouldn't mind seeing Lance win his
    6th.

    > Steve Scarich

    http://www.ecycletours.com/tour_staff.htm http://www.ecycletours.com/content2004/04-
    petite_french_alps.htm Erickson Cycle tours out of Seattle might work for you. I'm pretty sure you
    know Glenn and Dan Norton and others having raced up here in Seattle. The French Alps tour runs at
    $2900 for 15 days.

    Phil Holman

  6. > I would like to watch either the Giro or the TDF in person. Does anyone
    know
    > of an organized group or tour that:
    > (1) Is relatively inexpensive. I'm not quite sure what that means, but I'm thinking less than
    > $200/day, exclusive of air fare. I don't need fancy
    housing
    > or meals. I would even camp some, but not every night.
    > (2) Caters to 'fit' riders. I would like to ride 2-4 hours every day at a pretty good clip (18+
    > mph).

    Steve: We've got a fairly extensive listing of various companies doing TDF tours for '04. You can
    find it at

    www.ChainReaction.com/france04tdftourcompanies.htm

    I have personal experience with both TREK and Graham Baxter. TREK covers the higher-end, with a bit
    less emphasis on hard, long-distance riding, but great accomodations and food. Graham Baxter is
    going to be more within your budget and, since they don't provide support while riding, people
    organize into groups according to their own sado-masochistic preferences, and it's very easy to get
    in some high-quality miles.