Looking for Cross Country Cyclists

phillyteacher10

Aug 3, 2013
I am reaching out to the cycling community in an attempt to create a grass-roots based ride across the country in the summer of 2014. I know there are organizations that aid cyclists in terms of food and shelter, but I desire to do this journey through the use of a trailer on the back of my bicycle and a gps on the front. I live in Philadelphia and would plan on leaving at the end of June and coming back before the school year started as I am a teacher. If you or anyone else is interested please let me know.

Are you looking for people to put you up along the way or for people to ride with you?

Thank for replying,

I am looking for people to ride with me across the country. I think staying at campsites and in the wilderness will be the route I am going to take, but thank you.

David

I just mean created by us, those who are doing the ride. Not being sponsored or anything of the sort unless we can manage it. In the past, I have tried to go that route of sponsorship and charity donations, but it distracted from the main goal and we never rode across the country.

consider the possibility of riding solo, that will make the tour happen because its all up to you if anyone elses join in,

I agree with vspa. I have a goal to prepare to ride across the country, to acclimate to a certain lifestyle which will enable me to then ride to Buenos aires, where I will start a bike store in Buenos Aires and vacation/chase dreams with all the money made from the right sponsorship.
the main concerns I have are that; Mexico is dangerous, need to be able to carry/make/buy food, animals/insects may attack, medical kit & know how, proper vitamin/nutrition supply, bike tools & supplies, 2 second pop-up tent, sleeping shelter (tent for ground, hammock for elevation), sleeping bag (water resistant or bivy sack).
I'm in college right now, about to start the spring semester. I was wondering if I could do this in the summer, but I'd also have to come back. I'd have to start training more. I live in Woodstock/Saugerties NY, and I heard of a guy who knows a rail trail from here to the city- so then maybe we could meet up in Pennsylvania somewhere and go riding. my uncle has a house in Pennsylvania in the quiet mountainous terrain overlooking the Delaware river. I wanted to ride there.
but there's a lot of preparation to be made yet, for me. I ride 21-22 miles each day to school, (and back doubles it) 3 days a week. If I do errands I could do 65 a day easy. this semester I have 5 days of school a week. I have what I need to ride in the winter as I am now, though not as I was during school. I got a case of chronic patellar tendonitis (which can be youtubed for physical therapy massages [such as the cross-lateral technique for the adhesions of tissue to bone]). I'll stay local this summer, but I will still be pondering about sponsorship.
First of all I think a camera is good for safety as it is for leisure filming-GoPro could come in there. I want one camera on me, and two for my bike (forward and backward). Then I need a hard-drive to store the information- then I need electricity to do so, and I need electricity to charge my headlights and tail lights, and that's where the hub dynamo comes in.
I wouldn't depend on a hotel. They aren't everywhere, as they shouldn't be, so one must be prepared to sleep anywhere they are. The Quechua 2second tent comes into play here, and they might sponsor the users of it. The Postal Services might sponsor the ride for publicity.