Looking for cyclocomputer advice

Excl

May 10, 2007
Hi, I'm looking to buy a new "all-inclusive" cyclocomputer. I'd like one that keeps track of the standard speed/distance/avg speed/odometer but also can track elevation/% incline as well as heartrate and cadence. To top it off, I'm looking for something that can download all this information to a PC for workout reviews.

The three best that I can find are the Garmin Edge 305, the Polar 725x watch and the Blackburn Delphi 6.0. The Garmin Edge looks to have everything that I want, but appears to be on the pricey side. I've also seen some complaints about it's accuracy. The Polar 725x is a little cheaper, but doesn't have an odometer option and also seems to lack the elevation information when your rides are viewed from software. The Blackburn Delphi is much cheaper than the other two, but lacks the ability to upload to a PC.

Does anybody own any of these three computers? I'm interested to know the pros and cons of each or if there are any better computers out there.

Thanks!

I have the Edge and really enjoy it. I have different profiles one for the hills and one for the flats... don't need (want) to see my heart rate in the hills do want elevation and grade % on the flats do want avg speed and don't care about max speed the down loads work and the other benefits on motion base.com are good .... I wish it had some sort of power or watts reading ....

Excl said:
The Polar 725x is a little cheaper, but doesn't have an odometer option and also seems to lack the elevation information when your rides are viewed from software.
Has an odometer and it gives you plenty of elevation information. including grade.

I would more suggest the Polar CS600 though

I have the Edge 305, love it.
Pros:
- It does (almost) everything, including speed, HR, cadence, position, elevation, grade, min & max of practically everything, compete against your previous rides (as you ride), plus a host of navigation options.
- Because it is a GPS you can do cool things like: if you are doing laps of a circuit, it can automatically give you lap times, averages for each lap with a single press of a button. Or if you're not doing a circuit, you can set it up to do the same for every 2km (or any other distance) segment.

Cons:
- No odometer. It keeps totals, but the way I use it, the lap memory get full after about 6 months, so I have to clear out old rides from time to time.
- Battery life is only 10 hours. However, you can't really compare battery life between a GPS and a cycle computer.
- Calorie usage is not accurate (apparently, I don’t use it).

with the EDGE if you use the web site you can take the last 5 or 6 time that you have rode the same course and dot race them all at the same time on the same map...

impakt said:
Has an odometer and it gives you plenty of elevation information. including grade.

I would more suggest the Polar CS600 though
Thanks for the info everyone. I've looked at some of the older posts and it seems like a discussion battle between the CS600 and the Edge 305. I'm wondering what some of the cons of the CS600 are as well. It seems like I looked at this one a while ago and there was something wrong with it. Also, by "elevation information" do you mean info on the computer itself or info that you can view on the PC software afterwards?

Thanks everyone! Keep the pros and cons coming.

Excl said:
Thanks for the info everyone. I've looked at some of the older posts and it seems like a discussion battle between the CS600 and the Edge 305. I'm wondering what some of the cons of the CS600 are as well. It seems like I looked at this one a while ago and there was something wrong with it. Also, by "elevation information" do you mean info on the computer itself or info that you can view on the PC software afterwards?

Thanks everyone! Keep the pros and cons coming.
Just a quick note about elevation. My understanding is that the Polar products use barometric changes to measure your altitude. This is quite accurate, in fact Garmin also use barometric changes for altitude. However, the Garmin Edge then uses satelitte to then calibrate altitude give an actual value above sea level. As the Polar products don't know where you are, I think you have to give it a starting value to work off. I've never owned a Polar product, so I'm only guessing.
It's interesting how much your 'altitude' can change when the weather suddenly changes. The other day I was caught out when a cold front rolled in. According to my Edge, I climbed almost 100m in the next 2 km as the storm hit. I was actually riding down hill while the air pressure was dropping when the cold front hit. I took almost 15 minutes for the GPS to recalculate my true altitude.
And BTW, if I didn't get the Edge, I almost certainly would have got the Polar 725. And according to all reports the 600 is better than the 725 (true/false???).

On the computer geek side of it, i chose the edge because it has a decent connection to my computer to upload the info.

IR and Sonic **** belongs back in the 80s-90s for me, sorry :)

It was most definatly the deciding factor.

wishes said:
IR and Sonic **** belongs back in the 80s-90s for me, sorry :)

It was most definatly the deciding factor.

I have both the Polar CS200 and a Garmin FR 305. You're right, the downloading with the Polar is a PITA, compared to sensible USB connection of the Forerunner. It takes my dozens of trys until I can get the files to upload using my laptop's builtin mic. Then, I can't believe the new Polar CS600 relies on IR... my MacBook Pro gave up on IR

... bluetooth or USB2 in 2007 !!!

For u, unless you are contemplating adding the Polar power sensor, I would definitely choose the Garmin over the other two. I really love the GPS data which I find is very accurate for distance/elevation (ascents/descents)/ and the mapping is fun. If you are a Mac person, forget about motionbased.com or the Mac version of Garmin Training Center and buy the $35 program Ascent:

Ascent software

To me,the Polar is really primarily a very good HR monitor and cycling functions are add ons. The CS600 in my mind could have been a killer product, but it remains primarily a HR monitor. THey missed the boat on really fixed the Power meter aspect (i.e. not enough memory for 1 sec sampling (limit 2.5 hours) and never fixed the problem with using it on a indoor trainer).

I have used a Polar 710 for 4 years and I am very happy with it. The ability to upload to the web and PC program was my reason for purchasing. Being wireless was a big benefit as I have a recumbent with no easy place to mount.. 710 does
have both an odometer and trip odometer. You can one see but Heart Rate, Speed and one other reading, on the watch, I choose cadence.

I do use a Magellan GPS as my odometer.

It will track elevation on the PC program.

I like ability to use the heart monitor for other sports is a plus also.

Batteries will last about 2 to3 years before the power gets low and won't upload data to PC via USB IR interface. Polar recommends you send the watch & HRM back to them to change batteries. I'm in need of the third change now.

Excl said:
Hi, I'm looking to buy a new "all-inclusive" cyclocomputer. I'd like one that keeps track of the standard speed/distance/avg speed/odometer but also can track elevation/% incline as well as heartrate and cadence. To top it off, I'm looking for something that can download all this information to a PC for workout reviews.

The three best that I can find are the Garmin Edge 305, the Polar 725x watch and the Blackburn Delphi 6.0. The Garmin Edge looks to have everything that I want, but appears to be on the pricey side. I've also seen some complaints about it's accuracy. The Polar 725x is a little cheaper, but doesn't have an odometer option and also seems to lack the elevation information when your rides are viewed from software. The Blackburn Delphi is much cheaper than the other two, but lacks the ability to upload to a PC.

Does anybody own any of these three computers? I'm interested to know the pros and cons of each or if there are any better computers out there.

Thanks!

Thom_y said:
For u, unless you are contemplating adding the Polar power sensor, I would definitely choose the Garmin over the other two. I really love the GPS data which I find is very accurate for distance/elevation (ascents/descents)/ and the mapping is fun.
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I do seem to be leaning towards the Garmin Edge, but thanks to the guys who pointed out the features of the Polar CS product. Also, if anyone know a great place on-line to buy one of these products, please let me know.

Thom_y said:
If you are a Mac person, forget about motionbased.com or the Mac version of Garmin Training Center and buy the $35 program Ascent:

I am a mac person but also have a pc in the house. I was using the pc for the Edge. Do you think that the Ascent program on the mac is better than the Garmin program on a pc?

I got the 725 with power.

First couple of months it worked fine but now it's dropping the readings from the sensor, enought that it is now unrealiable and the power sensor is coming off the bike tonight and I'm going back to just speed and cadence. I've tried cleaning the contacts and changing the battery in the sender/receiver unit and no luck so it's back to Polar for a repair.

However I really like the basic computer, I used to have a CS200CAD but I killed that. The altitude works by barometric pressure and you have to calibrate it at the start of every ride. Cycling peaks and the polar software give you a good profile graph and I've had no issues with the IR data transfer.

I finally bit the bullet and bought one due to its wide variety of features. It doesn't have everything, but it sure has a lot. One feature I really like is that I take it on 4 different bicycles, and it just clicks in and you're ready to go. Nothing else to attach or calibrate.

Happy riding!

ghostpedal said:

I finally bit the bullet and bought one due to its wide variety of features. It doesn't have everything, but it sure has a lot. One feature I really like is that I take it on 4 different bicycles, and it just clicks in and you're ready to go. Nothing else to attach or calibrate.

Happy riding!
When you say "doesn't have everything", what do you think is missing?

I think I'm more interested in the CONS of each device now, as I seem to have a good understanding of what each product brings to the table, but don't really know if it does something/doesn't do something that would be a "deal breaker". Thanks for the replies!

The biggest complaint seems to do with the lack of detailed maps, and also the included computer software. With that said, I really don't have a problem with either one. Maybe I'm not as picky as others. Both the Garmin training center software and motionbased site are hated by some, and loved by others. I think they are fine for what I want. You may want to investigate the software aspect for yourself, as the PC was part of your wants. Search for Garmin 305 to read much more about the computer and hear about the software. Good luck.