Looking for entry level road bike in the 500-1000 price rang

Whereswaldow118

Oct 1, 2011
Ive been riding hybrid bikes for a while now, but I've been looking into something with more speed that I can take longer distances even faster. However I am very new to the whole idea of road cycling and my budget is considerably small...

Based on my limited experience, major manufacturers have each other firmly in their sights and the buyer is in a Coke v Pepsi / Camry v Accord situation.... six vs half-a-dozen. I'd choose the LBS instead: friendly, helpful (with measuring, setup). Large ones offer a discount of about 10% off MSRP and may have prev-year models considerably cheaper.

Unless you know what you're doing, I'd stay off the used market.

What Bartsie says about used is spot on. I've had too many customers with bikes they bought for $500 on craigslist that needed $400 in repairs and replacement parts. Projects are fine for experienced home mechanics who know the true value of a five year old bike with a shifter that might be useless, have boxes of old parts, lines on new parts, the time and experience to put in sweat equity, and a reliable bike they can use in the mean time.

Major manufacturers with excellent road bikes in your price range, in no particular order: Trek, Specialized, Cannondale, Scott, Felt, Giant. Have I left anyone out? I'm not to crazy about Fuji's lowest tier, but the Roubaix line at the next price level is nice and often deeply discounted.

I agree with Bart and Oldbob that you need to know what you're doing if you buy a used bike via a private seller......

But,

Sometimes you can get very good deals on used bikes from local bike shops. The shop I frequent goes through the bikes when they are traded in and if they deem the bike of sufficient value, then they will make any needed repairs and warranty the bike prior to resell. This usually makes the bike more expensive than buying the bike on Craig's list, or Ebay, but it's still often much less than the price of a new bike and the shop stands behind they bikes they sell.

Just food for tthought.....

Most of your Local Bicycle Shops will carry a limited number of brands. Looking for a certain brand can cause some people to shop far from home. Most bikes, particularly in the low or moderate price range will be made in China, and often be very similar to other brands in the same price range (more or less). But... the Local Bicycle Shop can be nearly as important as the brand of bicycle itself, IMHO.

Of course, I can't even guess what selection of bicycle shops you'll have in your area. Checking the on-line yellow pages should provide you with a list [and directions to] your local shops. If your lucky you'll have a few LBS in a reasonable driving distance. Leave your checkbook and credit cards at home and visit them all. You'll be sure to learn a few things and maybe find a shop you really like.

Ask questions and even take notes. Test ride a few bikes too. The LBS isn't just a place to buy a bike. They will also make adjustments and repairs as well as sell accessories and cycling clothing. Some also offer classes and group rides.

Also, talk to friends, co-workers, and family to see if you maybe you already know an avid and experienced cyclist that can help you with your selections.

If you search for my name you will see I was in the same position last April with my GMC Denali. I bought a used 2010 Bianchi Via Nirone 7 for very cheap off of Craigslist. I then did my first century in June. I too am a rider on a budget so if you want to know where all the cheap goods are at, PM me. I was looking at many different brands and for the price range I personally think you get the best bang for your buck with the Bianchi because it is an aluminum & carbon frame. It also comes with an option of Sora or 105. Plus it turns you into one of those Bianchi nuts that want celetse green everything !!/img/vbsmilies/smilies/ROTF.gif

here of some pics of my transition from when I started to now.

Cycling Pictures