looking for good dessert recipes for two

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Karen AKA Kajikit, Mar 10, 2005.

  1. I'm still not used to cooking for two instead of four-with-leftovers!
    The peach cobbler I made last night is delicious but it's enough for a
    week! I need some smaller recipes please or our waistlines are really
    going to suffer, because my hubby likes to have a little dessert every
    night...
    ~Karen aka Kajikit
    Crafts, cats, and chocolate - the three essentials of life
    http://www.kajikitscorner.com
    *remove 'nospam' to reply

    Tags:

  2. Boron Elgar

    Boron Elgar Guest

    On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 11:25:54 -0500, Karen AKA Kajikit
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I'm still not used to cooking for two instead of four-with-leftovers!
    >The peach cobbler I made last night is delicious but it's enough for a
    >week! I need some smaller recipes please or our waistlines are really
    >going to suffer, because my hubby likes to have a little dessert every
    >night...
    >~Karen aka Kajikit
    >Crafts, cats, and chocolate - the three essentials of life
    >http://www.kajikitscorner.com
    >*remove 'nospam' to reply

    Ice cream is always easy to portion out, as are any other frozen
    desserts. Cookies can be kept in the freezer, too, either baked or
    unbaked. Many cakes and brownies freeze well, but you need to
    experiment a bit with your favorite recipes to see which do best.

    Most fresh or frozen fruit you have in the house can be easily
    sweetened, if needed, and fancied up with cream, creme fraiche, or
    whipped cream. Fresh fruit is always lovely on its own, too.

    If you are looking for things that are a bit less sweet, try some fine
    cheese and a small piece of fruit, such as apple slices or some
    grapes.

    Sometimes adding some sugar (or sweetener) to a cup of rich coffee,
    along with a spoon of unsweetened cocoa and some milk or cream, will
    provide just enough sweetness to calm the munchies, without causing
    too much damage. Foam the milk, if you like, and sprinkle the cup with
    more cocoa or cinnamon.

    Boron

  3. In article <[email protected]>, Karen AKA
    Kajikit <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I'm still not used to cooking for two instead of four-with-leftovers!
    > The peach cobbler I made last night is delicious but it's enough for a
    > week! I need some smaller recipes please or our waistlines are really
    > going to suffer, because my hubby likes to have a little dessert every
    > night...
    > ~Karen aka Kajikit

    Karen, why couldn't you simply cut the cobbler recipe in half? Cake?
    Make cupcakes and freeze the uneaten ones to be thawed at will. I'm
    thinking that, generally speaking, the freezer plan will be your friend.
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Sweet Potato Follies added 2/24/05.

  4. Dimitri

    Dimitri Guest

    "Karen AKA Kajikit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I'm still not used to cooking for two instead of four-with-leftovers!
    > The peach cobbler I made last night is delicious but it's enough for a
    > week! I need some smaller recipes please or our waistlines are really
    > going to suffer, because my hubby likes to have a little dessert every
    > night...
    > ~Karen aka Kajikit

    I would suggest several different sorbets made from fruit - a lot less fat
    than ice cream top with some fresh fruit or frozen berries.

    Do you like Jell-O - the sugar free is pretty tasty especially if you add
    some fruit.

    Smart One's (frozen food section) had some decent ice cream that are low in
    WW points.

    Dimitri
    ..

  5. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Bronwyn" <[email protected]> wrote:
    (snip)
    > I think what you US folk call 'cobbler' we call 'trifle'. You can
    > make individual ones.
    > Cheers
    > Bronwyn
    > Qld Oz

    Cobbler's a baked dessert, Bronwyn. Basically, it's a fruit
    sort-of-sauce topped with biscuit dough and baked. I know trifle to be
    a layered-type dessert with sponge cake, fruit, whipping cream, booze.
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Sweet Potato Follies added 2/24/05.

  6. Poached pears (Wine or apple cider make good poaching liquids) are
    wonderful, and they can be served in any company, with no apologies to
    anyone. Baked apples are also good, and you can tell yourself they're
    good for you.

    I too love dessert, but hate wearing it. Alas, if a form of food is
    bad for me, I'm pretty sure to like it. And if it's high fat, high
    cholesterol and high calorie all at once, I'm pretty much guaranteed to
    adore it.

    Melissa

  7. [email protected], if that's their real name, wrote:

    >Poached pears (Wine or apple cider make good poaching liquids) are
    >wonderful, and they can be served in any company, with no apologies to
    >anyone. Baked apples are also good, and you can tell yourself they're
    >good for you.

    I like to add ground cinnamon to unsweetened applesauce and then nuke it.
    Gives your taste buds the illusion of eating hot apple pie. Simple, not
    terribly elegant, but it does the trick.

    Carol

  8. Jean B.

    Jean B. Guest

    Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:

    > I'm still not used to cooking for two instead of four-with-leftovers!
    > The peach cobbler I made last night is delicious but it's enough for a
    > week! I need some smaller recipes please or our waistlines are really
    > going to suffer, because my hubby likes to have a little dessert every
    > night...
    > ~Karen aka Kajikit
    > Crafts, cats, and chocolate - the three essentials of life
    > http://www.kajikitscorner.com
    > *remove 'nospam' to reply

    Aha! There is a new cookbook, "Small-Batch Baking" by Debby
    Mauganas Nakos. I was afraid this was just going to be gimicky,
    but the author does have some credentials, and many of the recipes
    look good. The downside is that many of the baking pans she uses
    are pretty hard to find. Some have to be gotten online. She also
    likes to bake cakes in cans....

    --
    Jean B.