Looking for good rain tire 700C

Matt Locker <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Matt:
>
> One of the reasons I changed from Michelin SuperCompHDs to Continental GPs long ago was because I
> didn't like the feel of the Michelins on any road. They always felt like they squrmed under me,
> whereas the Conti GPs felt "well connected". I returned to the Michelins a couple times on the
> occasion of a flat with the Contis but the feel of the Michelins always bothered me. I attributed
> this to the soft compound of the Michelins squirming on the road surface & the siping of the GPs.
>
> FWIW, I returned to Michelins last year and don't feel that "disconnectedness" with the newer
> tires. Different compounds firming up the tread? That's my guess.
>
> MOO, Matt

Dear Matt L.,

I appreciate how hard it is to describe such things, but can you say anything further about the
squirmy tire feeling?

And whatever it was, do you remember if stayed steady, or did it change with speed, cornering,
braking, and so forth?

Carl Fogel

Carl:

It's been a while but I'll try. The feeling was just that of having the bike moving almost
imperceptively under me while going in a straight line. The feeling was worst on smooth roads, I
believe because there were no other inputs to override the "noise level" of the squirm. I can't
really remember if I felt the squirm in corners or while braking. It was not really speed dependent
as I distinctly remember the feeling during TTs and on hills as well as at more normal touring
speed. It was irritating enough to me (along with the ease of chunking the tread on these tires) to
make me change brands.

I had previously used Michelin Hi-Lites which I really liked. They were heavy though and only came
with a wire bead so I decided to move up to the HDs.

MOO, Matt