Looking for good rides in/around Boston

Monument Man

Mar 23, 2005
Hello,

I'm looking for good loops for my cyclocross around Boston. I live in Boston and that would be my starting point. I am very comfortable on the roads and would like to learn more about any easily accessible trails which I could ride on my Lemond Poprad.

Of course I am familiar with the Esplanade/Charles River bikepath.

I also like to ride down to Southie and see Castle Island.

Basically I'm looking for <20 mile loops which would bring me to a nice sea-side destination or another cool location.

Are the Fells trails suitable for cyclocross?

I use my bike mostly for commuting but now it's getting nice in New England (only 6 inches of snow tonight) I'm thinking about cycling again.

Thanks
MM

Monument Man said:
Hello,

I'm looking for good loops for my cyclocross around Boston. I live in Boston and that would be my starting point. I am very comfortable on the roads and would like to learn more about any easily accessible trails which I could ride on my Lemond Poprad.

Of course I am familiar with the Esplanade/Charles River bikepath.

I also like to ride down to Southie and see Castle Island.

Basically I'm looking for <20 mile loops which would bring me to a nice sea-side destination or another cool location.

Are the Fells trails suitable for cyclocross?

I use my bike mostly for commuting but now it's getting nice in New England (only 6 inches of snow tonight) I'm thinking about cycling again.

Thanks
MM

I haven't lived in Boston for a year, so this may not be current. Starting in Davis Square in Cambridge there is a bike path that heads out towards Lexington. I believe it's about 11-12 miles. Once you get out past Lexington, you can cut over back towards Mass Ave. I forget the name of the road, but anyway, there's a big park out there that you should be able to find on a map. It has a lot of nice dirt trails that would be nice for cyclocross. When you're done with the park, you can take the path back to Davis Sq. or ride Mass Ave through Lexington and back to Cambridge. Round trip should be about 25 miles.