looking for healthy, no-nonsense way to lose fat this summer

Willem

Guest
Hi,

I need some credible advice on a healthy, somewhat agressive
weight loss plan. I don't want any name brand diet advice,
just common sense on how to burn off the spare tire. I'm
suffering from the early 30s, "My body doesn't look the same
as in grade 12" syndrome. I want to preempt any further
waistline expansions, and I'm toying with the goal of taking
my weight down to the low end of the BMI scale, which means
down to 130lbs. I'm 30 years old, 5'9" and 155 lbs which
puts my BMI at 23, and I am in very good health, considering
how little I exercise. But my waist is now 34", up from 29"
at age 18. I don't like where this sedentary lifestyle is
taking me...

Here are my questions:

- above all, what's a highly credible book or website on
losing weight? I'm thinking non-profit, academically-
informed, and not driven by these silly diet schemes.

- how much can I safely lose over the next 3 months -- is 25
pounds unrealistic or dangerous? what are the dangers of
losing too much too fast?
- What difference will weight training make in a weight
loss plan?
- how many calories should I being consuming per day? Does
throttling back caloric intake mean it would be a good
idea to take multivitamins?

I started excercising at the gym this week, for between 50
and 75 minutes, burning between 600 and 900 calories (I feel
nearly euphoric after breaking into a sweat on those
machines, I'm assuming I can't be too unhealthy if I can do
such a workout).

If I can keep this up (perhaps not realistic), I should burn
about 2500 calories a week through exercise. I guess I'm
taking in maybe 2000 calories a day, but this is a really
rough guess, I've never counted calories in my life before a
couple of days ago.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks, w

Overtraining will burn you out after a few months. When you
burn out you will not be able to train for more than 10
minutes at a time. Read..read..read,

Low carb diets are sweeping the nation because they work.
Atkin's is a good one to follow if you can force down that
many vegetables each day. It works, makes sense, and appears
to keep you healthy because you will feel good and lose the
size in the right spots.

Weight isn't lost by burning calories. It is lost by raising
your resting metabolism through gained muscle mass and other
factors. You do not have far to go and there is no rush. If
you push yourself you wil not last. It is a lifestyle, not a
fad hobby. Have patience. You will probably gain weight
before you lose any. Muscle size will increase and it weighs
more than fat. You will look better even if the scale
doesn't drop.

Success is a line we walk, not a line we cross....

me.

"willem" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> I need some credible advice on a healthy, somewhat
> agressive weight loss plan. I don't want any name brand
> diet advice, just common sense on how to burn off the
> spare tire. I'm suffering from the early 30s, "My body
> doesn't look the same as in grade 12" syndrome. I want to
> preempt any further waistline expansions, and I'm toying
> with the goal of taking my weight down to the low end of
> the BMI scale, which means down to 130lbs. I'm 30 years
> old, 5'9" and 155 lbs which puts my BMI at 23, and I am in
> very good health, considering how little I exercise. But
> my waist is now 34", up from 29" at age 18. I don't like
> where this sedentary lifestyle is taking me...
>
> Here are my questions:
>
> - above all, what's a highly credible book or website on
> losing weight? I'm thinking non-profit, academically-
> informed, and not driven by these silly diet schemes.
>
> - how much can I safely lose over the next 3 months -- is
> 25 pounds unrealistic or dangerous? what are the dangers
> of losing too much too fast?
> - What difference will weight training make in a weight
> loss plan?
> - how many calories should I being consuming per day? Does
> throttling back caloric intake mean it would be a good
> idea to take multivitamins?
>
> I started excercising at the gym this week, for between 50
> and 75 minutes, burning between 600 and 900 calories (I
> feel nearly euphoric after breaking into a sweat on those
> machines, I'm assuming I can't be too unhealthy if I can
> do such a workout).
>
> If I can keep this up (perhaps not realistic), I should
> burn about 2500 calories a week through exercise. I guess
> I'm taking in maybe 2000 calories a day, but this is a
> really rough guess, I've never counted calories in my life
> before a couple of days ago.
>
> Any advice greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks, w

"willem" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> I need some credible advice on a healthy, somewhat
> agressive weight loss plan. I don't want any name brand
> diet advice, just common sense on how to burn off the
> spare tire. I'm suffering from the early 30s, "My body
> doesn't look the same as in grade 12" syndrome. I want to
> preempt any further waistline expansions, and I'm toying
> with the goal of taking my weight down to the low end of
> the BMI scale, which means down to 130lbs. I'm 30 years
> old, 5'9" and 155 lbs which puts my BMI at 23, and I am in
> very good health, considering how little I exercise. But
> my waist is now 34", up from 29" at age 18. I don't like
> where this sedentary lifestyle is taking me...

Superb. Sounds like a great goal, very much like my own.

> Here are my questions:
>
> - above all, what's a highly credible book or website on
> losing weight? I'm thinking non-profit, academically-
> informed, and not driven by these silly diet schemes.

Don't be so hasty in calling anything silly. :)

I get my knowledge from all over. I peruse the entire
spectrum of websites, from Atkins, to vegetarian, etc. You
should probably do the same. Arrive at your own conclusions.
The bottom line that is emerging is the best weight-loss
diet for you, is the diet you can stick with. If your goal
is proper nutrition however (this is a different subject
than losing weight, after all) I would suggest checking out
www.mercola.com and www.westonaprice.org. Both sites have
their flakey points but overall they're useful. Mercola's
news section I find particularly useful as he covers lots of
research, and his news archives are a well-organized method
of acquiring information, the rest of his site I don't
really have time to explore. I think it's important to
expose anyone who might be new to the field of nutrition to
a radically different viewpoint that may hold at least a
piece of the overall truth.

> - how much can I safely lose over the next 3 months -- is
> 25 pounds unrealistic or dangerous? what are the dangers
> of losing too much too fast?
> - What difference will weight training make in a weight
> loss plan?
> - how many calories should I being consuming per day? Does
> throttling back caloric intake mean it would be a good
> idea to take multivitamins?

Some people think 1 pound a week is a good maximum, some say
2 is OK. I think 2 is OK (it certainly won't kill you) if
you can stick with it and still consume a varied, healthy
diet that gives you the full range of macro and
micronutrients. 1 pound per week might have you consuming
1500 cal/day. 2 pounds per week, around 1000-1200. A
multivitamin with minerals, but without iron might be a good
idea, or maybe one containing little iron. Certainly not
100% of the RDA. Depends on your diet of course though.

> I started excercising at the gym this week, for between 50
> and 75 minutes, burning between 600 and 900 calories (I
> feel nearly euphoric after breaking into a sweat on those
> machines, I'm assuming I can't be too unhealthy if I can
> do such a workout).

You're probably right. :)

> If I can keep this up (perhaps not realistic), I should
> burn about 2500 calories a week through exercise. I guess
> I'm taking in maybe 2000 calories a day, but this is a
> really rough guess, I've never counted calories in my life
> before a couple of days ago.
>
> Any advice greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks, w

Sounds like a plan Stan.

-Chad

willem wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need some credible advice on a healthy, somewhat
> agressive weight loss plan.

There is no secret to losing weight: exercise more and eat
less. Based on what you've written at the end of this
message, you don't need any website or book; you're already
doing it right.

> I don't want any name brand diet advice, just common
> sense...

Then, I'm afraid, usenet was not the place to turn,
unfortunately. The few sensible, knowlegable nutritionists
that once posted here have given up on trying to communicate
with the hoards of loud-mouth, know-nothing fanatics, who
have reached critical mass and rendered this usegroup
worthless.

> ...on how to burn off the spare tire. I'm suffering from
> the early 30s, "My body doesn't look the same as in grade
> 12" syndrome. I want to preempt any further waistline
> expansions, and I'm toying with the goal of taking my
> weight down to the low end of the BMI scale, which means
> down to 130lbs. I'm 30 years old, 5'9" and 155 lbs which
> puts my BMI at 23, and I am in very good health,
> considering how little I exercise. But my waist is now
> 34", up from 29" at age 18. I don't like where this
> sedentary lifestyle is taking me...

Well, I've been there and done that.

> Here are my questions:
>
> - above all, what's a highly credible book or website on
> losing weight? I'm thinking non-profit, academically-
> informed, and not driven by these silly diet schemes.

I don't know of any, really. Like I said, the message
"exercise more, and eat less" doesn't need a whole website
to promote.

> - how much can I safely lose over the next 3 months -- is
> 25 pounds unrealistic or dangerous? what are the dangers
> of losing too much too fast?

With a combo of diet and exercise: 1 - 1.5 lb/wk.

> - What difference will weight training make in a weight
> loss plan?

Weight training is important because without it you will
lose lean body mass while dieting. It will also help in the
short run by burning calories directly, and in the long run,
by increasing lean muscle mass, whith a concomitant increase
in resting metabolic rate. If you're 5'9" and think you
should weigh 130 lb, then you could probably stand to put on
a little muscle anyway.

> - how many calories should I being consuming per day?

See below.

> Does throttling back caloric intake mean it would be a
> good idea to take multivitamins?

You should be taking a multivitamin anyway; that is, we
all should.

> I started excercising at the gym this week, for between 50
> and 75 minutes, burning between 600 and 900 calories (I
> feel nearly euphoric after breaking into a sweat on those
> machines, I'm assuming I can't be too unhealthy if I can
> do such a workout).

I doubt you're burning 900 calories in 75 minutes, unless
you were already a trained athlete, and hence able to
exercise at a moderately high intensity. 600 kcal seems more
realistic.

> If I can keep this up (perhaps not realistic), I should
> burn about 2500 calories a week through exercise. I guess
> I'm taking in maybe 2000 calories a day, but this is a
> really rough guess, I've never counted calories in my life
> before a couple of days ago.

Shoot for around 1800 kcal/day. 1 lb of body fat contains
about 3500 kcal, so if you're consuming 1700-1800 kcal/d and
burning 2200-2500 kcal/d, you should lose 1 - 1.5 lb of
fat/d, which, in my experience, is the most you can lose
without your appetite defeating your efforts.

-Jay

Unsuscribe to all the newsgroups, bin all your diet and
nutrition foods. If your gran is still alive then go and ask
her. Plus do more excercise, by which I mean, walk or cycle
instead of drive, avoid weights and contraptions in gyms,
and go hiking for 1 day once every week or two.

willem <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> I need some credible advice on a healthy, somewhat
> agressive weight loss plan. I don't want any name brand
> diet advice, just common sense on how to burn off the
> spare tire. I'm suffering from the early 30s, "My body
> doesn't look the same as in grade 12" syndrome. I want to
> preempt any further waistline expansions, and I'm toying
> with the goal of taking my weight down to the low end of
> the BMI scale, which means down to 130lbs. I'm 30 years
> old, 5'9" and 155 lbs which puts my BMI at 23, and I am in
> very good health, considering how little I exercise. But
> my waist is now 34", up from 29" at age 18. I don't like
> where this sedentary lifestyle is taking me...
>
> Here are my questions:
>
> - above all, what's a highly credible book or website on
> losing weight? I'm thinking non-profit, academically-
> informed, and not driven by these silly diet schemes.
>
> - how much can I safely lose over the next 3 months -- is
> 25 pounds unrealistic or dangerous? what are the dangers
> of losing too much too fast?
> - What difference will weight training make in a weight
> loss plan?
> - how many calories should I being consuming per day? Does
> throttling back caloric intake mean it would be a good
> idea to take multivitamins?
>
> I started excercising at the gym this week, for between 50
> and 75 minutes, burning between 600 and 900 calories (I
> feel nearly euphoric after breaking into a sweat on those
> machines, I'm assuming I can't be too unhealthy if I can
> do such a workout).
>
> If I can keep this up (perhaps not realistic), I should
> burn about 2500 calories a week through exercise. I guess
> I'm taking in maybe 2000 calories a day, but this is a
> really rough guess, I've never counted calories in my life
> before a couple of days ago.
>
> Any advice greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks, w

http://atkins.com/

TC

[email protected] (willem) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi,
>
> I need some credible advice on a healthy, somewhat
> agressive weight loss plan. I don't want any name brand
> diet advice, just common sense on how to burn off the
> spare tire. I'm suffering from the early 30s, "My body
> doesn't look the same as in grade 12" syndrome. I want to
> preempt any further waistline expansions, and I'm toying
> with the goal of taking my weight down to the low end of
> the BMI scale, which means down to 130lbs. I'm 30 years
> old, 5'9" and 155 lbs which puts my BMI at 23, and I am in
> very good health, considering how little I exercise. But
> my waist is now 34", up from 29" at age 18. I don't like
> where this sedentary lifestyle is taking me...
>
> Here are my questions:
>
> - above all, what's a highly credible book or website on
> losing weight? I'm thinking non-profit, academically-
> informed, and not driven by these silly diet schemes.
>
> - how much can I safely lose over the next 3 months -- is
> 25 pounds unrealistic or dangerous? what are the dangers
> of losing too much too fast?
> - What difference will weight training make in a weight
> loss plan?
> - how many calories should I being consuming per day? Does
> throttling back caloric intake mean it would be a good
> idea to take multivitamins?
>
> I started excercising at the gym this week, for between 50
> and 75 minutes, burning between 600 and 900 calories (I
> feel nearly euphoric after breaking into a sweat on those
> machines, I'm assuming I can't be too unhealthy if I can
> do such a workout).
>
> If I can keep this up (perhaps not realistic), I should
> burn about 2500 calories a week through exercise. I guess
> I'm taking in maybe 2000 calories a day, but this is a
> really rough guess, I've never counted calories in my life
> before a couple of days ago.
>
> Any advice greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks, w

Jay Tanzman wrote:

[snip]

> Shoot for around 1800 kcal/day. 1 lb of body fat contains
> about 3500 kcal, so if you're consuming 1700-1800 kcal/d
> and burning 2200-2500 kcal/d, you should lose 1 - 1.5 lb
> of fat/d...

Correction: 1 - 1.5 lb of fat/wk, not day.

-Jay

When I want to lose weight I just quit eating anything with
flour in it. If I start getting antsy or feeling too
deprived, I just eat a couple slices of bread with nothing
else with it and the frustration is gone.

Ora

>willem <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Hi,
>>
> I need some credible advice on a healthy, somewhat
> agressive weight loss plan. I don't want any name brand
> diet advice, just common sense on how to burn off the
> spare tire. I'm suffering from the early 30s, "My body
> doesn't look the same as in grade 12" syndrome. I want to
> preempt any further waistline expansions, and I'm toying
> with the goal of taking my weight down to the low end of
> the BMI scale, which means down to 130lbs. I'm 30 years
> old, 5'9" and 155 lbs which puts my BMI at 23, and I am in
> very good health, considering how little I exercise. But
> my waist is now 34", up from 29" at age 18. I don't like
> where this sedentary lifestyle is taking me...

On Sun, 30 May 2004 14:44:01 -0700, "Chad C." <[email protected]>
wrote:

>"willem" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I need some credible advice on a healthy, somewhat
>> agressive weight loss plan. I don't want any name brand
>> diet advice, just common sense on how to burn off the
>> spare tire. I'm suffering from the early 30s, "My body
>> doesn't look the same as in grade 12" syndrome. I want to
>> preempt any further waistline expansions, and I'm toying
>> with the goal of taking my weight down to the low end of
>> the BMI scale, which means down to 130lbs. I'm 30 years
>> old, 5'9" and 155 lbs which puts my BMI at 23, and I am
>> in very good health, considering how little I exercise.
>> But my waist is now 34", up from 29" at age 18. I don't
>> like where this sedentary lifestyle is taking me...

piggy backing in here... .. are you male or female. Males
burn more calories than women do just sittin' around
breathing generally, so .. makes a little difference.

Most folks who are just a bit heavier than they'd like to be
can examine their diets and kick a few things out of the
house and lose weight. Chips, dips, full sugar soft drinks,
or even juices... high calorie, better to eat an orange than
drink OJ, unless the OJ has ALL the pulp that was inside
that rind ;-)

So first examine your fridge,cupboards, car, night stand,
anywhere you might have snacks stashed. If you drink an
extra glass of wine.. can't remember if it was 3 or 4 oz.
but basically the example of a few extra ounces a day can
add 10 lbs in a year.

Waist measurements will often decrease just by exercising a
bit.. because it's loose muscles more than fat in someone
with the need to lose a little.

Generally use 11 calories per pound of body weight if you're
male and figure you move around enough to burn 2000 calories
a week. Multiply your current weight by 11 to get a general
idea of how many calories you are eating now to maintain
your current weight. Multiply it by 7 for week, and figure
to reduce that number by 3200 calories to lose 1 pound.
Increase your exercise or reduce your intake or both.

If you're female use 9 or 10 calories per pound of body
weight.. depending on how active you are. 2000 calories a
week of activity.. figure on that 10, 9 if slower.

Of course, it's reversible.. figure out how many calories
you have to cut down to in order to reach your goal weight
by 10 or 11 x goal weight = your goal caloric intake. If
it's too little, then you have to figure out how to up your
exercise. Walk instead of ride wherever you can, park out at
the end of the parking lot, walk up those stairs, etc.

Now.. just knowing how doesn't work if you can't or won't do
it. If you have something you can't live without then you
have to figure out where to make adjustments.

Unless you have a small frame, I think 130 lbs for someone
5'9" tall is an unrealistic goal..unless you want to look
like the starved waif and being hungry all the time is what
you really like. If you can eat a well balanced diet and
exercise enough to keep you there.. ok... but if you starve
yourself, uh uh. But, if you exercise enough, your weight
will go down initially, but it *could* go up.. because
you're increasing your muscle mass..which is great, but
muscle is heavier than fat.. so.. don't get stuck on a
number. ;-)

Janice - just a voice out of the wastelands ;-)

>Superb. Sounds like a great goal, very much like my own.
>

>> Here are my questions:
>>
>> - above all, what's a highly credible book or website on
>> losing weight? I'm thinking non-profit, academically-
>> informed, and not driven by these silly diet schemes.
>
>Don't be so hasty in calling anything silly. :)
>
>I get my knowledge from all over. I peruse the entire
>spectrum of websites, from Atkins, to vegetarian, etc. You
>should probably do the same. Arrive at your own
>conclusions. The bottom line that is emerging is the best
>weight-loss diet for you, is the diet you can stick with.
>If your goal is proper nutrition however (this is a
>different subject than losing weight, after all) I would
>suggest checking out www.mercola.com and
>www.westonaprice.org. Both sites have their flakey points
>but overall they're useful. Mercola's news section I find
>particularly useful as he covers lots of research, and his
>news archives are a well-organized method of acquiring
>information, the rest of his site I don't really have time
>to explore. I think it's important to expose anyone who
>might be new to the field of nutrition to a radically
>different viewpoint that may hold at least a piece of the
>overall truth.
>

>> - how much can I safely lose over the next 3 months -- is
>> 25 pounds unrealistic or dangerous? what are the
>> dangers of losing too much too fast?
>> - What difference will weight training make in a weight
>> loss plan?
>> - how many calories should I being consuming per day?
>> Does throttling back caloric intake mean it would be a
>> good idea to take multivitamins?
>
>Some people think 1 pound a week is a good maximum, some
>say 2 is OK. I think 2 is OK (it certainly won't kill you)
>if you can stick with it and still consume a varied,
>healthy diet that gives you the full range of macro and
>micronutrients. 1 pound per week might have you consuming
>1500 cal/day. 2 pounds per week, around 1000-1200. A
>multivitamin with minerals, but without iron might be a
>good idea, or maybe one containing little iron. Certainly
>not 100% of the RDA. Depends on your diet of course though.
>

>> I started excercising at the gym this week, for between
>> 50 and 75 minutes, burning between 600 and 900 calories
>> (I feel nearly euphoric after breaking into a sweat on
>> those machines, I'm assuming I can't be too unhealthy if
>> I can do such a workout).
>
>You're probably right. :)
>

>> If I can keep this up (perhaps not realistic), I should
>> burn about 2500 calories a week through exercise. I guess
>> I'm taking in maybe 2000 calories a day, but this is a
>> really rough guess, I've never counted calories in my
>> life before a couple of days ago.
>>
>> Any advice greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks, w
>
>Sounds like a plan Stan.
>
>-Chad

"tcomeau" <[email protected]> píse v diskusním príspevku
news:[email protected]...
> http://atkins.com/
>
> TC

Looks like, over time, you have gone into more
"hardcore" LC. Was not you advocating The Zone style
diet half year ago ? :)

(BTW, I was through almost the same transition, just it took
just one week for me. I even had to bin that wholegrain
bread I bought for The Zone :)

Mirek

"Mirek Fidler" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "tcomeau" <[email protected]> píse v diskusním
> príspevku
> news:[email protected]...
> > http://atkins.com/
> >
> > TC
>
> Looks like, over time, you have gone into more "hardcore"
> LC. Was not you advocating The Zone style diet half year
> ago ? :)
>
> (BTW, I was through almost the same transition, just it
> took just one week for me. I even had to bin that
> wholegrain bread I bought for The Zone :)
>
> Mirek

Nah, I just got the easiest url quickly and pasted it in. It
just happened to be atkins. My own diet is a modified zone
WOE most of the time except when it creeps up a couple of
pounds, due, of course, to carb overeating, then I kick
start things and drop a couple of pounds by cutting back
refined carbs to around the atkins induction level for a
week or so. My weight has been steady around 182 plus or
minus 1 or 2 lbs for three years now. But any and all of the
better known low carb diets work.

TC