looking for healthy, no-nonsense way to lose fat this summer

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Willem, May 30, 2004.

  1. Willem

    Willem Guest

    Hi,

    I need some credible advice on a healthy, somewhat agressive
    weight loss plan. I don't want any name brand diet advice,
    just common sense on how to burn off the spare tire. I'm
    suffering from the early 30s, "My body doesn't look the same
    as in grade 12" syndrome. I want to preempt any further
    waistline expansions, and I'm toying with the goal of taking
    my weight down to the low end of the BMI scale, which means
    down to 130lbs. I'm 30 years old, 5'9" and 155 lbs which
    puts my BMI at 23, and I am in very good health, considering
    how little I exercise. But my waist is now 34", up from 29"
    at age 18. I don't like where this sedentary lifestyle is
    taking me...

    Here are my questions:

    - above all, what's a highly credible book or website on
    losing weight? I'm thinking non-profit, academically-
    informed, and not driven by these silly diet schemes.

    - how much can I safely lose over the next 3 months -- is 25
    pounds unrealistic or dangerous? what are the dangers of
    losing too much too fast?
    - What difference will weight training make in a weight
    loss plan?
    - how many calories should I being consuming per day? Does
    throttling back caloric intake mean it would be a good
    idea to take multivitamins?

    I started excercising at the gym this week, for between 50
    and 75 minutes, burning between 600 and 900 calories (I feel
    nearly euphoric after breaking into a sweat on those
    machines, I'm assuming I can't be too unhealthy if I can do
    such a workout).

    If I can keep this up (perhaps not realistic), I should burn
    about 2500 calories a week through exercise. I guess I'm
    taking in maybe 2000 calories a day, but this is a really
    rough guess, I've never counted calories in my life before a
    couple of days ago.

    Any advice greatly appreciated.

    Thanks, w

    Tags:

  2. Pizza Gurl

    Pizza Gurl Guest

    Overtraining will burn you out after a few months. When you
    burn out you will not be able to train for more than 10
    minutes at a time. Read..read..read,

    Low carb diets are sweeping the nation because they work.
    Atkin's is a good one to follow if you can force down that
    many vegetables each day. It works, makes sense, and appears
    to keep you healthy because you will feel good and lose the
    size in the right spots.

    Weight isn't lost by burning calories. It is lost by raising
    your resting metabolism through gained muscle mass and other
    factors. You do not have far to go and there is no rush. If
    you push yourself you wil not last. It is a lifestyle, not a
    fad hobby. Have patience. You will probably gain weight
    before you lose any. Muscle size will increase and it weighs
    more than fat. You will look better even if the scale
    doesn't drop.

    Success is a line we walk, not a line we cross....

    me.

    "willem" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I need some credible advice on a healthy, somewhat
    > agressive weight loss plan. I don't want any name brand
    > diet advice, just common sense on how to burn off the
    > spare tire. I'm suffering from the early 30s, "My body
    > doesn't look the same as in grade 12" syndrome. I want to
    > preempt any further waistline expansions, and I'm toying
    > with the goal of taking my weight down to the low end of
    > the BMI scale, which means down to 130lbs. I'm 30 years
    > old, 5'9" and 155 lbs which puts my BMI at 23, and I am in
    > very good health, considering how little I exercise. But
    > my waist is now 34", up from 29" at age 18. I don't like
    > where this sedentary lifestyle is taking me...
    >
    > Here are my questions:
    >
    > - above all, what's a highly credible book or website on
    > losing weight? I'm thinking non-profit, academically-
    > informed, and not driven by these silly diet schemes.
    >
    > - how much can I safely lose over the next 3 months -- is
    > 25 pounds unrealistic or dangerous? what are the dangers
    > of losing too much too fast?
    > - What difference will weight training make in a weight
    > loss plan?
    > - how many calories should I being consuming per day? Does
    > throttling back caloric intake mean it would be a good
    > idea to take multivitamins?
    >
    > I started excercising at the gym this week, for between 50
    > and 75 minutes, burning between 600 and 900 calories (I
    > feel nearly euphoric after breaking into a sweat on those
    > machines, I'm assuming I can't be too unhealthy if I can
    > do such a workout).
    >
    > If I can keep this up (perhaps not realistic), I should
    > burn about 2500 calories a week through exercise. I guess
    > I'm taking in maybe 2000 calories a day, but this is a
    > really rough guess, I've never counted calories in my life
    > before a couple of days ago.
    >
    > Any advice greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks, w

  3. Chad C.

    Chad C. Guest

    "willem" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I need some credible advice on a healthy, somewhat
    > agressive weight loss plan. I don't want any name brand
    > diet advice, just common sense on how to burn off the
    > spare tire. I'm suffering from the early 30s, "My body
    > doesn't look the same as in grade 12" syndrome. I want to
    > preempt any further waistline expansions, and I'm toying
    > with the goal of taking my weight down to the low end of
    > the BMI scale, which means down to 130lbs. I'm 30 years
    > old, 5'9" and 155 lbs which puts my BMI at 23, and I am in
    > very good health, considering how little I exercise. But
    > my waist is now 34", up from 29" at age 18. I don't like
    > where this sedentary lifestyle is taking me...

    Superb. Sounds like a great goal, very much like my own.

    > Here are my questions:
    >
    > - above all, what's a highly credible book or website on
    > losing weight? I'm thinking non-profit, academically-
    > informed, and not driven by these silly diet schemes.

    Don't be so hasty in calling anything silly. :)

    I get my knowledge from all over. I peruse the entire
    spectrum of websites, from Atkins, to vegetarian, etc. You
    should probably do the same. Arrive at your own conclusions.
    The bottom line that is emerging is the best weight-loss
    diet for you, is the diet you can stick with. If your goal
    is proper nutrition however (this is a different subject
    than losing weight, after all) I would suggest checking out
    www.mercola.com and www.westonaprice.org. Both sites have
    their flakey points but overall they're useful. Mercola's
    news section I find particularly useful as he covers lots of
    research, and his news archives are a well-organized method
    of acquiring information, the rest of his site I don't
    really have time to explore. I think it's important to
    expose anyone who might be new to the field of nutrition to
    a radically different viewpoint that may hold at least a
    piece of the overall truth.

    > - how much can I safely lose over the next 3 months -- is
    > 25 pounds unrealistic or dangerous? what are the dangers
    > of losing too much too fast?
    > - What difference will weight training make in a weight
    > loss plan?
    > - how many calories should I being consuming per day? Does
    > throttling back caloric intake mean it would be a good
    > idea to take multivitamins?

    Some people think 1 pound a week is a good maximum, some say
    2 is OK. I think 2 is OK (it certainly won't kill you) if
    you can stick with it and still consume a varied, healthy
    diet that gives you the full range of macro and
    micronutrients. 1 pound per week might have you consuming
    1500 cal/day. 2 pounds per week, around 1000-1200. A
    multivitamin with minerals, but without iron might be a good
    idea, or maybe one containing little iron. Certainly not
    100% of the RDA. Depends on your diet of course though.

    > I started excercising at the gym this week, for between 50
    > and 75 minutes, burning between 600 and 900 calories (I
    > feel nearly euphoric after breaking into a sweat on those
    > machines, I'm assuming I can't be too unhealthy if I can
    > do such a workout).

    You're probably right. :)

    > If I can keep this up (perhaps not realistic), I should
    > burn about 2500 calories a week through exercise. I guess
    > I'm taking in maybe 2000 calories a day, but this is a
    > really rough guess, I've never counted calories in my life
    > before a couple of days ago.
    >
    > Any advice greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks, w

    Sounds like a plan Stan.

    -Chad

  4. Jay Tanzman

    Jay Tanzman Guest

    willem wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I need some credible advice on a healthy, somewhat
    > agressive weight loss plan.

    There is no secret to losing weight: exercise more and eat
    less. Based on what you've written at the end of this
    message, you don't need any website or book; you're already
    doing it right.

    > I don't want any name brand diet advice, just common
    > sense...

    Then, I'm afraid, usenet was not the place to turn,
    unfortunately. The few sensible, knowlegable nutritionists
    that once posted here have given up on trying to communicate
    with the hoards of loud-mouth, know-nothing fanatics, who
    have reached critical mass and rendered this usegroup
    worthless.

    > ...on how to burn off the spare tire. I'm suffering from
    > the early 30s, "My body doesn't look the same as in grade
    > 12" syndrome. I want to preempt any further waistline
    > expansions, and I'm toying with the goal of taking my
    > weight down to the low end of the BMI scale, which means
    > down to 130lbs. I'm 30 years old, 5'9" and 155 lbs which
    > puts my BMI at 23, and I am in very good health,
    > considering how little I exercise. But my waist is now
    > 34", up from 29" at age 18. I don't like where this
    > sedentary lifestyle is taking me...

    Well, I've been there and done that.

    > Here are my questions:
    >
    > - above all, what's a highly credible book or website on
    > losing weight? I'm thinking non-profit, academically-
    > informed, and not driven by these silly diet schemes.

    I don't know of any, really. Like I said, the message
    "exercise more, and eat less" doesn't need a whole website
    to promote.

    > - how much can I safely lose over the next 3 months -- is
    > 25 pounds unrealistic or dangerous? what are the dangers
    > of losing too much too fast?

    With a combo of diet and exercise: 1 - 1.5 lb/wk.

    > - What difference will weight training make in a weight
    > loss plan?

    Weight training is important because without it you will
    lose lean body mass while dieting. It will also help in the
    short run by burning calories directly, and in the long run,
    by increasing lean muscle mass, whith a concomitant increase
    in resting metabolic rate. If you're 5'9" and think you
    should weigh 130 lb, then you could probably stand to put on
    a little muscle anyway.

    > - how many calories should I being consuming per day?

    See below.

    > Does throttling back caloric intake mean it would be a
    > good idea to take multivitamins?

    You should be taking a multivitamin anyway; that is, we
    all should.

    > I started excercising at the gym this week, for between 50
    > and 75 minutes, burning between 600 and 900 calories (I
    > feel nearly euphoric after breaking into a sweat on those
    > machines, I'm assuming I can't be too unhealthy if I can
    > do such a workout).

    I doubt you're burning 900 calories in 75 minutes, unless
    you were already a trained athlete, and hence able to
    exercise at a moderately high intensity. 600 kcal seems more
    realistic.

    > If I can keep this up (perhaps not realistic), I should
    > burn about 2500 calories a week through exercise. I guess
    > I'm taking in maybe 2000 calories a day, but this is a
    > really rough guess, I've never counted calories in my life
    > before a couple of days ago.

    Shoot for around 1800 kcal/day. 1 lb of body fat contains
    about 3500 kcal, so if you're consuming 1700-1800 kcal/d and
    burning 2200-2500 kcal/d, you should lose 1 - 1.5 lb of
    fat/d, which, in my experience, is the most you can lose
    without your appetite defeating your efforts.

    -Jay

  5. Malcom

    Malcom Guest

    Unsuscribe to all the newsgroups, bin all your diet and
    nutrition foods. If your gran is still alive then go and ask
    her. Plus do more excercise, by which I mean, walk or cycle
    instead of drive, avoid weights and contraptions in gyms,
    and go hiking for 1 day once every week or two.

    willem <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I need some credible advice on a healthy, somewhat
    > agressive weight loss plan. I don't want any name brand
    > diet advice, just common sense on how to burn off the
    > spare tire. I'm suffering from the early 30s, "My body
    > doesn't look the same as in grade 12" syndrome. I want to
    > preempt any further waistline expansions, and I'm toying
    > with the goal of taking my weight down to the low end of
    > the BMI scale, which means down to 130lbs. I'm 30 years
    > old, 5'9" and 155 lbs which puts my BMI at 23, and I am in
    > very good health, considering how little I exercise. But
    > my waist is now 34", up from 29" at age 18. I don't like
    > where this sedentary lifestyle is taking me...
    >
    > Here are my questions:
    >
    > - above all, what's a highly credible book or website on
    > losing weight? I'm thinking non-profit, academically-
    > informed, and not driven by these silly diet schemes.
    >
    > - how much can I safely lose over the next 3 months -- is
    > 25 pounds unrealistic or dangerous? what are the dangers
    > of losing too much too fast?
    > - What difference will weight training make in a weight
    > loss plan?
    > - how many calories should I being consuming per day? Does
    > throttling back caloric intake mean it would be a good
    > idea to take multivitamins?
    >
    > I started excercising at the gym this week, for between 50
    > and 75 minutes, burning between 600 and 900 calories (I
    > feel nearly euphoric after breaking into a sweat on those
    > machines, I'm assuming I can't be too unhealthy if I can
    > do such a workout).
    >
    > If I can keep this up (perhaps not realistic), I should
    > burn about 2500 calories a week through exercise. I guess
    > I'm taking in maybe 2000 calories a day, but this is a
    > really rough guess, I've never counted calories in my life
    > before a couple of days ago.
    >
    > Any advice greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks, w

  6. Tcomeau

    Tcomeau Guest

    http://atkins.com/

    TC

    [email protected] (willem) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I need some credible advice on a healthy, somewhat
    > agressive weight loss plan. I don't want any name brand
    > diet advice, just common sense on how to burn off the
    > spare tire. I'm suffering from the early 30s, "My body
    > doesn't look the same as in grade 12" syndrome. I want to
    > preempt any further waistline expansions, and I'm toying
    > with the goal of taking my weight down to the low end of
    > the BMI scale, which means down to 130lbs. I'm 30 years
    > old, 5'9" and 155 lbs which puts my BMI at 23, and I am in
    > very good health, considering how little I exercise. But
    > my waist is now 34", up from 29" at age 18. I don't like
    > where this sedentary lifestyle is taking me...
    >
    > Here are my questions:
    >
    > - above all, what's a highly credible book or website on
    > losing weight? I'm thinking non-profit, academically-
    > informed, and not driven by these silly diet schemes.
    >
    > - how much can I safely lose over the next 3 months -- is
    > 25 pounds unrealistic or dangerous? what are the dangers
    > of losing too much too fast?
    > - What difference will weight training make in a weight
    > loss plan?
    > - how many calories should I being consuming per day? Does
    > throttling back caloric intake mean it would be a good
    > idea to take multivitamins?
    >
    > I started excercising at the gym this week, for between 50
    > and 75 minutes, burning between 600 and 900 calories (I
    > feel nearly euphoric after breaking into a sweat on those
    > machines, I'm assuming I can't be too unhealthy if I can
    > do such a workout).
    >
    > If I can keep this up (perhaps not realistic), I should
    > burn about 2500 calories a week through exercise. I guess
    > I'm taking in maybe 2000 calories a day, but this is a
    > really rough guess, I've never counted calories in my life
    > before a couple of days ago.
    >
    > Any advice greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks, w

  7. Jay Tanzman

    Jay Tanzman Guest

    Jay Tanzman wrote:

    [snip]

    > Shoot for around 1800 kcal/day. 1 lb of body fat contains
    > about 3500 kcal, so if you're consuming 1700-1800 kcal/d
    > and burning 2200-2500 kcal/d, you should lose 1 - 1.5 lb
    > of fat/d...

    Correction: 1 - 1.5 lb of fat/wk, not day.

    -Jay

  8. taurusrc

    taurusrc Guest

    When I want to lose weight I just quit eating anything with
    flour in it. If I start getting antsy or feeling too
    deprived, I just eat a couple slices of bread with nothing
    else with it and the frustration is gone.

    Ora

    >willem <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> Hi,
    >>
    > I need some credible advice on a healthy, somewhat
    > agressive weight loss plan. I don't want any name brand
    > diet advice, just common sense on how to burn off the
    > spare tire. I'm suffering from the early 30s, "My body
    > doesn't look the same as in grade 12" syndrome. I want to
    > preempt any further waistline expansions, and I'm toying
    > with the goal of taking my weight down to the low end of
    > the BMI scale, which means down to 130lbs. I'm 30 years
    > old, 5'9" and 155 lbs which puts my BMI at 23, and I am in
    > very good health, considering how little I exercise. But
    > my waist is now 34", up from 29" at age 18. I don't like
    > where this sedentary lifestyle is taking me...

  9. Janice

    Janice Guest

    On Sun, 30 May 2004 14:44:01 -0700, "Chad C." <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >"willem" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I need some credible advice on a healthy, somewhat
    >> agressive weight loss plan. I don't want any name brand
    >> diet advice, just common sense on how to burn off the
    >> spare tire. I'm suffering from the early 30s, "My body
    >> doesn't look the same as in grade 12" syndrome. I want to
    >> preempt any further waistline expansions, and I'm toying
    >> with the goal of taking my weight down to the low end of
    >> the BMI scale, which means down to 130lbs. I'm 30 years
    >> old, 5'9" and 155 lbs which puts my BMI at 23, and I am
    >> in very good health, considering how little I exercise.
    >> But my waist is now 34", up from 29" at age 18. I don't
    >> like where this sedentary lifestyle is taking me...

    piggy backing in here... .. are you male or female. Males
    burn more calories than women do just sittin' around
    breathing generally, so .. makes a little difference.

    Most folks who are just a bit heavier than they'd like to be
    can examine their diets and kick a few things out of the
    house and lose weight. Chips, dips, full sugar soft drinks,
    or even juices... high calorie, better to eat an orange than
    drink OJ, unless the OJ has ALL the pulp that was inside
    that rind ;-)

    So first examine your fridge,cupboards, car, night stand,
    anywhere you might have snacks stashed. If you drink an
    extra glass of wine.. can't remember if it was 3 or 4 oz.
    but basically the example of a few extra ounces a day can
    add 10 lbs in a year.

    Waist measurements will often decrease just by exercising a
    bit.. because it's loose muscles more than fat in someone
    with the need to lose a little.

    Generally use 11 calories per pound of body weight if you're
    male and figure you move around enough to burn 2000 calories
    a week. Multiply your current weight by 11 to get a general
    idea of how many calories you are eating now to maintain
    your current weight. Multiply it by 7 for week, and figure
    to reduce that number by 3200 calories to lose 1 pound.
    Increase your exercise or reduce your intake or both.

    If you're female use 9 or 10 calories per pound of body
    weight.. depending on how active you are. 2000 calories a
    week of activity.. figure on that 10, 9 if slower.

    Of course, it's reversible.. figure out how many calories
    you have to cut down to in order to reach your goal weight
    by 10 or 11 x goal weight = your goal caloric intake. If
    it's too little, then you have to figure out how to up your
    exercise. Walk instead of ride wherever you can, park out at
    the end of the parking lot, walk up those stairs, etc.

    Now.. just knowing how doesn't work if you can't or won't do
    it. If you have something you can't live without then you
    have to figure out where to make adjustments.

    Unless you have a small frame, I think 130 lbs for someone
    5'9" tall is an unrealistic goal..unless you want to look
    like the starved waif and being hungry all the time is what
    you really like. If you can eat a well balanced diet and
    exercise enough to keep you there.. ok... but if you starve
    yourself, uh uh. But, if you exercise enough, your weight
    will go down initially, but it *could* go up.. because
    you're increasing your muscle mass..which is great, but
    muscle is heavier than fat.. so.. don't get stuck on a
    number. ;-)

    Janice - just a voice out of the wastelands ;-)

    >Superb. Sounds like a great goal, very much like my own.
    >

    >> Here are my questions:
    >>
    >> - above all, what's a highly credible book or website on
    >> losing weight? I'm thinking non-profit, academically-
    >> informed, and not driven by these silly diet schemes.
    >
    >Don't be so hasty in calling anything silly. :)
    >
    >I get my knowledge from all over. I peruse the entire
    >spectrum of websites, from Atkins, to vegetarian, etc. You
    >should probably do the same. Arrive at your own
    >conclusions. The bottom line that is emerging is the best
    >weight-loss diet for you, is the diet you can stick with.
    >If your goal is proper nutrition however (this is a
    >different subject than losing weight, after all) I would
    >suggest checking out www.mercola.com and
    >www.westonaprice.org. Both sites have their flakey points
    >but overall they're useful. Mercola's news section I find
    >particularly useful as he covers lots of research, and his
    >news archives are a well-organized method of acquiring
    >information, the rest of his site I don't really have time
    >to explore. I think it's important to expose anyone who
    >might be new to the field of nutrition to a radically
    >different viewpoint that may hold at least a piece of the
    >overall truth.
    >

    >> - how much can I safely lose over the next 3 months -- is
    >> 25 pounds unrealistic or dangerous? what are the
    >> dangers of losing too much too fast?
    >> - What difference will weight training make in a weight
    >> loss plan?
    >> - how many calories should I being consuming per day?
    >> Does throttling back caloric intake mean it would be a
    >> good idea to take multivitamins?
    >
    >Some people think 1 pound a week is a good maximum, some
    >say 2 is OK. I think 2 is OK (it certainly won't kill you)
    >if you can stick with it and still consume a varied,
    >healthy diet that gives you the full range of macro and
    >micronutrients. 1 pound per week might have you consuming
    >1500 cal/day. 2 pounds per week, around 1000-1200. A
    >multivitamin with minerals, but without iron might be a
    >good idea, or maybe one containing little iron. Certainly
    >not 100% of the RDA. Depends on your diet of course though.
    >

    >> I started excercising at the gym this week, for between
    >> 50 and 75 minutes, burning between 600 and 900 calories
    >> (I feel nearly euphoric after breaking into a sweat on
    >> those machines, I'm assuming I can't be too unhealthy if
    >> I can do such a workout).
    >
    >You're probably right. :)
    >

    >> If I can keep this up (perhaps not realistic), I should
    >> burn about 2500 calories a week through exercise. I guess
    >> I'm taking in maybe 2000 calories a day, but this is a
    >> really rough guess, I've never counted calories in my
    >> life before a couple of days ago.
    >>
    >> Any advice greatly appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thanks, w
    >
    >Sounds like a plan Stan.
    >
    >-Chad

  10. Mirek Fidler

    Mirek Fidler Guest

    "tcomeau" <[email protected]> píse v diskusním príspevku
    news:[email protected]...
    > http://atkins.com/
    >
    > TC

    Looks like, over time, you have gone into more
    "hardcore" LC. Was not you advocating The Zone style
    diet half year ago ? :)

    (BTW, I was through almost the same transition, just it took
    just one week for me. I even had to bin that wholegrain
    bread I bought for The Zone :)

    Mirek

  11. Tcomeau

    Tcomeau Guest

    "Mirek Fidler" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "tcomeau" <[email protected]> píse v diskusním
    > príspevku
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > http://atkins.com/
    > >
    > > TC
    >
    > Looks like, over time, you have gone into more "hardcore"
    > LC. Was not you advocating The Zone style diet half year
    > ago ? :)
    >
    > (BTW, I was through almost the same transition, just it
    > took just one week for me. I even had to bin that
    > wholegrain bread I bought for The Zone :)
    >
    > Mirek

    Nah, I just got the easiest url quickly and pasted it in. It
    just happened to be atkins. My own diet is a modified zone
    WOE most of the time except when it creeps up a couple of
    pounds, due, of course, to carb overeating, then I kick
    start things and drop a couple of pounds by cutting back
    refined carbs to around the atkins induction level for a
    week or so. My weight has been steady around 182 plus or
    minus 1 or 2 lbs for three years now. But any and all of the
    better known low carb diets work.

    TC