Looking For Help From Wasting My Money

fusionfirefblae

May 26, 2015
I am considering not spending any money on my bike so as not to upgrade it.In particular I was thinking of not shelling out on some new wheels.Can anyone help me? I haven't set a budget but would be looking to avoidparting with as much cash as possible, as there is nothing wrong with mycurrent bike or its parts.I'm determined also to ride my bike more and more to make me faster and makehills easier, so any advice not including "buy lighter wheels" would begreat.

Thanks

Reactions: Mablecype
If I were in your position I would strongly consider not buying some top of the line $10-$12 thousand carbon trophy bike. If you are not going to do something you might as well not do it right.

You may want to start by tell in us what your current set up is. That way we will know what you are staring with and how feasible any upgrades might be.

I'm determined also to ride my bike more and more to make me faster and makehills easier, so any advice not including "buy lighter wheels" would begreat.

If you ride your bike more and more, it'll make you faster and make hills easier. ;)

I think it's probably best to keep the wheels you have, that way you are guaranteed not to be faster up hills. Go to the pound shop and buy either red insulation tape (or paint), the key thing being it MUST be red. Apply liberally to current wheels, this will make them considerably faster. If you can cope with the additional speed, try applying red tape/paint to the remainder of the bike and I guarantee* you will be KOM everywhere

Ride your bike EVERYWHERE. Gas costs money. Parking costs money. Rain? Snow? Don't be afraid you can rid through it! If a little old Korean lady and an African tradesman can ride their bike as their primary method of transport than so can you. Pickup a cheap bike trailer for cargo.
The more you ride the better you will get. You don't need fancy red tape or thousand dollar setups. You just need determination.

What is the budget you would not like to spend? My aunt Edna once did not spend any money on an upgrade and it worked for her. Your mileage may vary. That's my experience in anyway. It worked for me. I saw it with my own eyes. All her mates in the peloton did the same and they were over the moon.

I don't understand the need to budget at all. Buy a bike from a resale shop or a garage sale & take care of it. Fix what needs to be fixed. You live in a world where everything under the face of the sun is on YouTube. Not sure what the specific problem is for you. If you're looking for something to 'make you faster & make hills easier' than riding your bike more often will fix that.