Looking for help on Celery leaves

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Kswck, Apr 22, 2004.

  1. Kswck

    Kswck Guest

    All of the local stupidmarkets get their celery delivered
    w/o the leaves-yes, I've checked.

    Is there a type of store to check that would sell them/give
    them away-out of season? Or a type of store that normally
    sells celery with the tops on?

    A friend grows celery during the 'season' and graciously
    gives me the tops. I dry them out and use them in a
    variety of ways.

    Tags:

  2. Arri London

    Arri London Guest

    Kswck wrote:

    > All of the local stupidmarkets get their celery delivered
    > w/o the leaves-yes, I've checked.
    >
    > Is there a type of store to check that would sell
    > them/give them away-out of season? Or a type of store that
    > normally sells celery with the tops on?
    >
    > A friend grows celery during the 'season' and graciously
    > gives me the tops. I dry them out and use them in a
    > variety of ways.

    Try one of the 'ethnic' markets in your locality. I used
    to get wonderful dark green celery with plenty of leaves
    on it from some of the Bengali grocers in my local street
    market in London. Very flavourful and very tender when
    cooked. Our local Chinese market often has celery with a
    lot of leaves on it.

  3. Louis Cohen

    Louis Cohen Guest

    Around Thanksgiving the Berkeley Bowl sells particularly
    leafy celery in a separate display - I always grab 2 bunches
    - one for the stuffing and one for the turkey soup.

    ----------------
    ----
    Louis Cohen Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8'
    42.8"

    "Kswck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > All of the local stupidmarkets get their celery delivered
    > w/o the leaves-yes, I've checked.
    >
    > Is there a type of store to check that would sell
    > them/give them away-out
    of
    > season? Or a type of store that normally sells celery with
    > the tops on?
    >
    > A friend grows celery during the 'season' and graciously
    > gives me the
    tops.
    > I dry them out and use them in a variety of ways.

  4. Mom Peagram

    Mom Peagram Guest

    I can't really help unless perhaps a fruit and veg market
    might carry them with leaves. I noticed when we were in
    florida how expensive the celery was and no leaves. I like
    you dry my leaves and then powder them for use in soups
    and stews.

    "Kswck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > All of the local stupidmarkets get their celery delivered
    > w/o the leaves-yes, I've checked.
    >
    > Is there a type of store to check that would sell
    > them/give them away-out
    of
    > season? Or a type of store that normally sells celery with
    > the tops on?
    >
    > A friend grows celery during the 'season' and graciously
    > gives me the
    tops.
    > I dry them out and use them in a variety of ways.

  5. Kswck

    Kswck Guest

    "Arri London" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Kswck wrote:
    > >
    > > All of the local stupidmarkets get their celery
    > > delivered w/o the leaves-yes, I've checked.
    > >
    > > Is there a type of store to check that would sell
    > > them/give them
    away-out of
    > > season? Or a type of store that normally sells celery
    > > with the tops on?
    > >
    > > A friend grows celery during the 'season' and graciously
    > > gives me the
    tops.
    > > I dry them out and use them in a variety of ways.
    >
    > Try one of the 'ethnic' markets in your locality. I used
    > to get wonderful dark green celery with plenty of leaves
    > on it from some of the Bengali grocers in my local street
    > market in London. Very flavourful and very tender when
    > cooked. Our local Chinese market often has celery with a
    > lot of leaves on it.

    Thank you.

  6. Dennis G .

    Dennis G . Guest

    "Kswck" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I dry them out and use them in a variety of ways.

    Boy, that's got my imagination goin!

  7. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    Kswck wrote:
    > All of the local stupidmarkets get their celery delivered
    > w/o the leaves-yes, I've checked.
    >
    > Is there a type of store to check that would sell
    > them/give them away-out of season? Or a type of store that
    > normally sells celery with the tops on?
    >
    > A friend grows celery during the 'season' and graciously
    > gives me the tops. I dry them out and use them in a
    > variety of ways.

    I seen "cleaned" bunches of celery in most every
    stupidmarket. Irritates me no end, not because I want to dry
    and use the celery leaves but because I want to give them to
    my small parrot to snack on. Peaches loves them! <G>

    The small market down the street let's me clean them off the
    full stalks of celery because most people pick them off and
    don't do anything with them; it reduced the price by weight
    for the consumer. NOTE: I do wear gloves when I pick the
    leaves off, no fear.

    Jill

  8. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 20:08:19 -0500, "jmcquown"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >The small market down the street let's me clean them off
    >the full stalks of celery because most people pick them off
    >and don't do anything with them;

    That should be for me to decide, not you. As you can see,
    some of want the leaves and we can't get them because you've
    been rummaging through all the dcelery stalks with your
    inconsiderate, grubby little hands.

    >it reduced the price by weight for the consumer.

    Celery is almost always sold by a stalk price, not by
    weight, you dumbshit.

    -sw

  9. August

    August Guest

    [email protected] :

    || All of the local stupidmarkets get their celery
    || delivered w/o the leaves-yes, I've checked.
    || Is there a type of store to check that would sell
    || them/give them away-out of season? Or a type of store
    || that normally sells celery with the tops on?
    || A friend grows celery during the 'season' and graciously
    || gives me the tops. I dry them out and use them in a
    || variety of ways.

    We buy celery complete with tops all the time.
    --

    Impeccable - unable to be eaten by chickens.

  10. Limey

    Limey Guest

    "august" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > [email protected] :
    >
    > || All of the local stupidmarkets get their celery
    > || delivered w/o the leaves-yes, I've checked.
    > || Is there a type of store to check that would sell
    > || them/give them
    away-out of
    > || season? Or a type of store that normally sells celery
    > || with the tops
    on?
    > || A friend grows celery during the 'season' and
    > || graciously gives me the
    tops.
    > || I dry them out and use them in a variety of ways.
    >
    > We buy celery complete with tops all the time.

    Our supermarkets all advertise the celery complete with
    leaves, but sell it minus leaves and usually packed neatly
    in a plastic bag. :-(

    Dora

  11. Kswck

    Kswck Guest

    "august" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > [email protected] :
    >
    > || All of the local stupidmarkets get their celery
    > || delivered w/o the leaves-yes, I've checked.
    > || Is there a type of store to check that would sell
    > || them/give them
    away-out of
    > || season? Or a type of store that normally sells celery
    > || with the tops
    on?
    > || A friend grows celery during the 'season' and
    > || graciously gives me the
    tops.
    > || I dry them out and use them in a variety of ways.
    >
    > We buy celery complete with tops all the time.
    > --

    Wish I could.