Looking for help on Celery leaves

Kswck

Guest
All of the local stupidmarkets get their celery delivered
w/o the leaves-yes, I've checked.

Is there a type of store to check that would sell them/give
them away-out of season? Or a type of store that normally
sells celery with the tops on?

A friend grows celery during the 'season' and graciously
gives me the tops. I dry them out and use them in a
variety of ways.

Kswck wrote:

> All of the local stupidmarkets get their celery delivered
> w/o the leaves-yes, I've checked.
>
> Is there a type of store to check that would sell
> them/give them away-out of season? Or a type of store that
> normally sells celery with the tops on?
>
> A friend grows celery during the 'season' and graciously
> gives me the tops. I dry them out and use them in a
> variety of ways.

Try one of the 'ethnic' markets in your locality. I used
to get wonderful dark green celery with plenty of leaves
on it from some of the Bengali grocers in my local street
market in London. Very flavourful and very tender when
cooked. Our local Chinese market often has celery with a
lot of leaves on it.

Around Thanksgiving the Berkeley Bowl sells particularly
leafy celery in a separate display - I always grab 2 bunches
- one for the stuffing and one for the turkey soup.

----------------
----
Louis Cohen Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8'
42.8"

"Kswck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> All of the local stupidmarkets get their celery delivered
> w/o the leaves-yes, I've checked.
>
> Is there a type of store to check that would sell
> them/give them away-out
of
> season? Or a type of store that normally sells celery with
> the tops on?
>
> A friend grows celery during the 'season' and graciously
> gives me the
tops.
> I dry them out and use them in a variety of ways.

I can't really help unless perhaps a fruit and veg market
might carry them with leaves. I noticed when we were in
florida how expensive the celery was and no leaves. I like
you dry my leaves and then powder them for use in soups
and stews.

"Kswck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> All of the local stupidmarkets get their celery delivered
> w/o the leaves-yes, I've checked.
>
> Is there a type of store to check that would sell
> them/give them away-out
of
> season? Or a type of store that normally sells celery with
> the tops on?
>
> A friend grows celery during the 'season' and graciously
> gives me the
tops.
> I dry them out and use them in a variety of ways.

"Arri London" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Kswck wrote:
> >
> > All of the local stupidmarkets get their celery
> > delivered w/o the leaves-yes, I've checked.
> >
> > Is there a type of store to check that would sell
> > them/give them
away-out of
> > season? Or a type of store that normally sells celery
> > with the tops on?
> >
> > A friend grows celery during the 'season' and graciously
> > gives me the
tops.
> > I dry them out and use them in a variety of ways.
>
> Try one of the 'ethnic' markets in your locality. I used
> to get wonderful dark green celery with plenty of leaves
> on it from some of the Bengali grocers in my local street
> market in London. Very flavourful and very tender when
> cooked. Our local Chinese market often has celery with a
> lot of leaves on it.

Thank you.

Kswck wrote:
> All of the local stupidmarkets get their celery delivered
> w/o the leaves-yes, I've checked.
>
> Is there a type of store to check that would sell
> them/give them away-out of season? Or a type of store that
> normally sells celery with the tops on?
>
> A friend grows celery during the 'season' and graciously
> gives me the tops. I dry them out and use them in a
> variety of ways.

I seen "cleaned" bunches of celery in most every
stupidmarket. Irritates me no end, not because I want to dry
and use the celery leaves but because I want to give them to
my small parrot to snack on. Peaches loves them! <G>

The small market down the street let's me clean them off the
full stalks of celery because most people pick them off and
don't do anything with them; it reduced the price by weight
for the consumer. NOTE: I do wear gloves when I pick the
leaves off, no fear.

Jill

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 20:08:19 -0500, "jmcquown"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>The small market down the street let's me clean them off
>the full stalks of celery because most people pick them off
>and don't do anything with them;

That should be for me to decide, not you. As you can see,
some of want the leaves and we can't get them because you've
been rummaging through all the dcelery stalks with your
inconsiderate, grubby little hands.

>it reduced the price by weight for the consumer.

Celery is almost always sold by a stalk price, not by
weight, you dumbshit.

-sw

[email protected] :

|| All of the local stupidmarkets get their celery
|| delivered w/o the leaves-yes, I've checked.
|| Is there a type of store to check that would sell
|| them/give them away-out of season? Or a type of store
|| that normally sells celery with the tops on?
|| A friend grows celery during the 'season' and graciously
|| gives me the tops. I dry them out and use them in a
|| variety of ways.

We buy celery complete with tops all the time.
--

Impeccable - unable to be eaten by chickens.

"august" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] :
>
> || All of the local stupidmarkets get their celery
> || delivered w/o the leaves-yes, I've checked.
> || Is there a type of store to check that would sell
> || them/give them
away-out of
> || season? Or a type of store that normally sells celery
> || with the tops
on?
> || A friend grows celery during the 'season' and
> || graciously gives me the
tops.
> || I dry them out and use them in a variety of ways.
>
> We buy celery complete with tops all the time.

Our supermarkets all advertise the celery complete with
leaves, but sell it minus leaves and usually packed neatly
in a plastic bag. :-(

Dora

"august" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] :
>
> || All of the local stupidmarkets get their celery
> || delivered w/o the leaves-yes, I've checked.
> || Is there a type of store to check that would sell
> || them/give them
away-out of
> || season? Or a type of store that normally sells celery
> || with the tops
on?
> || A friend grows celery during the 'season' and
> || graciously gives me the
tops.
> || I dry them out and use them in a variety of ways.
>
> We buy celery complete with tops all the time.
> --

Wish I could.